Tank birthday, 47+ years

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I mean, what I wouldn't give just to go snorkeling, let alone collect my own marine fauna....T-T
 
Why can't you snorkel or collect fauna?
 
In Southern California you probably are not even allowed to collect air, but that is just one reason I don't live there. Here in New York I can collect anything as long as it is not a sport fish. I don't normally put tuna, swordfish, shark, or marlins in my reef so I am OK. I used to have an urchin collection business and I tried to get a permit to collect them. Our EPA here didn't know what an urchin was so they said I could collect all I wanted. To get lobsters, crabs or clams I need a permit which is $5.00.For snails, worms, amphipods, Loch Ness Monsters or just about anything else, they have no idea what it is so they won't bother you. I have a cousin who is a marine biologist and now he works for the EPA and gives summonses on the beach if you are digging for worms and you pick up a clam. This is our tax money at work.
 
Well, I suppose I could snorkel out here, but it's COLD...and there are no reefs to look at T-T
The animals out here are really not tropicals, so they wouldn't do well (for long, at least) in my reef. Pretty much everything is regulated, too...a lot of these beaches would probably land on you for collecting a bottle of sand.
 
It would also help if I had a boat to get past the wave action...I'm very comfortable in the water but not physically strong.
 
This is my vacation feeder, (almost) When I go on vacation I get a girl to fish sit. I don't want her to hatch shrimp, deal with worms or cut clams so I freeze individual, daily portions of food in old film containers. Film was like Scotch tape but pictures stick to it. Any small containers will work. Ask your Grand Mother for the cup she puts her teeth into.
Anyway, my fish sitter just takes one of the pre packaged food containers and dumps it into this device that thaws it and disperses it to all parts of the tank. It is just a tiny powerhead that pumps into a small plastic container that has holes in it. The food thaws and goes out the holes to the tank. If I didn't do this, the copperband would eat all the food or it would just go under a rock. I have always done this but I figured it may be interesting for anyone that lives under a rock
 
LOL, Yeah, it does look like glow worms. I wish I had glow worms as they would be very cool looking
 
We just came back from a week out in the east end of Long Island in Amaganset which is about 75 miles from my house. We had sole access to a beach house on the Atlantic that someone we know owns but was in Colorado Our Daughter, Son N Law and two or our Grand Kids also came. I did find a fairly large snake just behind me in that first picture. I tried to catch it but it got away in the scrub brush. I didn't collect water because I didn't have room in the car but I go there often so the next time I go, I will get some. My fish are fine and I think they do better without me. I had a fish sitter and a different pipefish sitter to monitor my new automatic brine shrimp hatchery and feeder which worked flawlessly. The pipefish are smiling from gill to gill.



 
I know this looks like me but it is not. This is my closest friend and SCUBA and boat Captain partner. We have known each other for most of our lives which is probably why we look alike. I had a girl come over to the house every day to feed the fish, but Richie came over to check the auto brine shrimp hatchery and feeder to make sure it was doing what it was supposed to do so the pipefish didn't croak. It worked perfectly and I am glad my friend checked on it just to make sure as I had never used it before for an entire week. Now that I am home I will remove the thing as it is only a vacation feeder and is growing some algae that would inhibit the shrimp from exiting the device.
My other contraption that defrosted the food and dispensed it throughout the tank also worked perfectly so all is well.
 
Can you give a more detailed description of the vacation feeder?

This is my vacation feeder, (almost) When I go on vacation I get a girl to fish sit. I don't want her to hatch shrimp, deal with worms or cut clams so I freeze individual, daily portions of food in old film containers. Film was like Scotch tape but pictures stick to it. Any small containers will work. Ask your Grand Mother for the cup she puts her teeth into.
Anyway, my fish sitter just takes one of the pre packaged food containers and dumps it into this device that thaws it and disperses it to all parts of the tank. It is just a tiny powerhead that pumps into a small plastic container that has holes in it. The food thaws and goes out the holes to the tank. If I didn't do this, the copperband would eat all the food or it would just go under a rock. I have always done this but I figured it may be interesting for anyone that lives under a rock
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 10.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new