Hermit crab.JPG

File Fish.JPG

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul have you ever considered a little dog you could take on your walks?
This is our Ben out on one through Wepre Park Woods. He's 2.5 years old now, videotaken last summer.

And a couple more recent ones of him.
20230223_135802.jpg

20230223_135800.jpg
20230223_135813.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not really, I am not a dog person but I am an animal lover and have had many animals. But no dogs or cats as our lifestyle won't allow for it.

We always traveled a lot and the friends we had with dogs or cats had big problems coming along, especially if it was for a few days like on our boat which we were on quite often.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not really, I am not a dog person but I am an animal lover and have had many animals. But no dogs or cats as our lifestyle won't allow for it.

We always traveled a lot and the friends we had with dogs or cats had big problems coming along, especially if it was for a few days like on our boat which we were on quite often.
Yeah that can be a problem for sure. I did warn my wife it would be difficult to travel and go on holiday once we had him. Wouldn't swap him for the world of course and his such a great character. Everybody knows him around heer and knows his name very few know mine lol

Last edited:

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning y’al. @Paul B in going to be (finally) setting up a RUGF in the next week, provided I don’t use up all my time elsewhere :rolleyes:

I’m trying to figure out what to use for the substrate, I am trying to do a budget build and live 20 minutes from the beach, but from what I had heard, regular sand clogs up the filters. I have about 20lbs of course aragonite, do you think I could layer it from courser to regular sand? Maybe if I have a good shell layer (smaller shells) then sand on top?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not really. Layering only lasts a couple of weeks. You can use the beach sand if you strain it so you only get particles about the size of rice. Not to small or it will clog. You can also use crushed coral.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay cool. I’m not far enough south in Florida to have access to that coral sand. I was hoping to try and source as much of this build as I could locally/naturally but there may not be sand that course around here.

Does the course sand affect wrasses and their burrowing?

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay cool. I’m not far enough south in Florida to have access to that coral sand. I was hoping to try and source as much of this build as I could locally/naturally but there may not be sand that course around here.

Does the course sand affect wrasses and their burrowing?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also, I have some Portland cement and 57 lime rock, what’s the best way you’ve found for making rocks for your tank?
When I make it, I use Portland cement and aragonite sand only. Mix it between 1 part cement to 2 parts sand and 1 part cement to 1 part sand. Add some water softener salt crystals to add some extra cavities.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also, be aware it may take several weeks to months of freshwater soaks to leach so you don't end up with pH or alkalinity spikes.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Sakrete Mortar mix when I make rocks. I have an article on here how I build some of them.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help! Also one last question… how do you feed whole gut foods to small fish? I’ve got two clowns <2” and it’ll have to be finely minced or something cause their mouths aren’t small…

Also love how you may be retired, but wake up time is still the same! Did y’all start work at 7am normally?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to feed chopped up clams or mussels because the clam is mostly guts.

I started work in Manhattan normally at 7:00 am so I took the 5:59 train and if I was working not to far from Penn Station, I walked to wherever I was working. I was a construction electrician so wherever we were building a building, thats where I went.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back