Tank birthday, 47+ years

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Short video feeding live blackworms
 
Paul, that is the happiest Copperband I have ever seen, literally. How awesome!

Stupid question: Those black worms... what kind (Specific brand? Frozen?) are they?
 
Love your CB!


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
Stupid question: Those black worms... what kind (Specific brand? Frozen?) are they? No, they are live, I have been feeding live blackworms for almost fifty years and I would not be in this hobby if it were not for those worms.
Wormkeeper008.jpg
wideangletank.jpg
Here he is in a video stealing baby brine shrimp from the mandarin feeder.
 
Last edited:
My reef is packed with rock and 2/3rds of the tank is against a wall as it is in a closet under stairs so I can't see what is going on in the back of most of the tank. But there is a large mound of gravel about 6" high back there and it is screwing up my aquascape. I know what it is from and I think I made a mistake putting them in there. I have two pistal shrimp that are hosting watchman gobies. One of them was always in the front but now I think they are either both right next to each other or mating. I am not sure how that happens when they are living with fish or even if it happens. Those two fish won't mate because they are two different species but the shrimp are the same. I also ordered another one but I am going to try to cancel that shrimp as they dig to much.
You can see in this picture the mound one shrimp made on the left side of the tank. It was interesting there as I could watch the shrimp and gobies, but now I never see them as they are in the back and covering much of the rock with gravel. The new mound is behind where you see the copperband in this picture. Last year I raised the entire reef structure and supported it on artificial rock pylons and I got good circulation under the structure. Now the shrimps screwed up my plan. Hopefully soon they will get bored with looking at that blank wall back there and will again move to the front. If they are spawning, I would also like to see that as I am a shrimp perve.

 
I took a couple of pictures. There are no problems but being this thread is supposed to be about pictures, I got some.
This is my very pregnant mandarin





 
These pistal shrimp are definately cool. The two of them found each other and now live together along with two gobies. There are numerous entrances to their tunnels and one gobi lives near one entrance and the other gobi lives near the other entrance as the both gobies are a different species. I don't know if the gobies know that their shrimp is cheating on them but they may be Mormons so it doesn't matter. They all seem to live together well but I can't see what is happening inside the burrows. The shrimp are male and female and are also probably mating. It's all to modern for me.
You can barely see the both shrimp here
 
This thread is really refreshing to hear how you have such success. But I was curious about your mandarin feeder. It looks relatively simple, what did you use to make it?

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
But I was curious about your mandarin feeder. It looks relatively simple, what did you use to make it?

I have about 873 posts about those things but the mandarin feeder is a plastic case that electrical tape came in but any flatish plastic box will work. I put an old net over it that has fine holes, then I bent a plastic tube and brought it up to the surface and put a small funnel on it. Thats it.
The worms I get in a pet shop or LFS
 
As you may know I raise white worms as well as blackworms. (I am an equal opportunity worm keeper)
The problem with white worms is that eventually the dirt they are in becomes more worm poop than dirt and it has to be changed. To do that I scoop up the dirt on one side of their enclosure and throw it out, then I add more dirt. The problem with that is that I also throw out half the worms so I experimented with a few things to separate the worms from the dirt.
I tried electric current. AC and DC but it did not allow me to collect worms so I tried adding a net over the worms after I flooded them.

But now I think I have the worm extraction thing figured out but it needs a little tweeking. The electric thing does not work. It definitely annoys the worms to where they scratch curses at me on the inside of their enclosure and I can't stand their screaming, but I still can't get them out of the dirt like that. The experiment where I put a clod of worm infused dirt in a container and cover it with water works. I cover the dirt with about 1/2" of water and lay a net over it so that some of the net is above the water. Eventually many of the worms, I am assuming the smarter ones, climb up the net to get out of the water. Now I am left with a worm infested net. I take the net and put it in my tank and the fish eat the worms from the net. It needs tweeking because many of the fish are afraid of the net, rightly so, so I will build something with net material that does not look exactly like a net. Maybe I will make it resemble a 1955 Oldsmobile or a shoe so they don't see it as a net. Or maybe I will just use a piece of net material.
So right now, the fish that are not afraid of the net (the stupid ones) are in the net eating the worms while fish like the copperband are hiding from the bad net.
I see a new mandarin feeding station coming soon
 
My skimmer was hardly working, barely was drawing any water so I took apart the surface overflow to see what was in it. The problem with keeping equipment in the tank for many years is it gets filled with those tiny tube worms and their tubes clog everything. The water could hardly get through and the space that was left was loaded with brittle stars. So I trimmed the tube worms and chased the brittle stars out, not it is good for a few more years.

This is the surface skimmer. Yes I know. State of the art. :lol:
 
Video of my possum wrasse,(he's the brown stripped one) They almost always hide and when I saw him near the front, I figured I would get a video.
 
Paul
I have to say I never get tired of seeing your pictures or reading posts on your tank.
Cant wait for more
 
Thank you, some day I am going to start reading what I write. :fear:
 
Paul
I think you mentioned you have some Hawkfish.....have they left your shrimp alone?
Thank you for sharing your story, and your sevice to our country!
 
I have not had a hawkfish for quite a while. I like long nose hawkfish but they jump out so to save time, when I buy hawkfish. I remove then from the bag, acclimate them, and throw them on the floor. I do the same with jawfish and firefish as they are also jumpers. :frusty:The tank is doing well, the only difference is that for some reason I have to clean the glass almost every day and it used to go a week. I don't know why. The fish are all still spawning, the possum wrasse comes out sometimes to say hello. A couple of my LEDs died so I have them jumped out so the rest of the strings work. I ordered a few replacement LEDs. The white worm cultures has thousands of white worms growing nicely and they are eating all my Cheerios which I soak in fish oil so they have stinky breath. The 2 pistol shrimp continousely jump from the watchman gobies to the other gobies and they are confusing as I never know which fish they are hosting. The 4 threadfish cardinals were separated for a few months, now they are all back in a school again, I guess they had a fight. 2 of them were spawning but now I think they are in between spawnings. There is no algae in the tank, I am not sure why but I would like some of it to grow. I built a bio pellet reactor but have not installed it yet. I think they are a stupid invention but I think they are cool looking so I will add it when I get time.The days are to short and I have to many projects going as I have to many hobbies, some of which overlap as it is now boating season and much of my time is spent on my boat. Of course I do collect when I go to a collection spot.Today I collected a bunch of blueclaw crabs, for dinner of course, they will go well with the clams. I could let this guy loose in my reef for a few days to clean up some bristle worms because he promised he would not eat the copperband butterfly or anything else, but I think he is lying. :argue:
 
Last edited:
Thanks for responding to my question Paul. I once had a long nose around 25 years ago when I was a teenager living home who must have had great karma from another life. Twice he woke me up in the middle of night when I heard him bounce off my hood and find his way to the floor. Both times I was able to wake myself and throw him back in no worse for wear . With chasing my three boys around now I think my whole tank could collapse and it wouldn't wake me up. Lol
 
Yes, I know the noise. They are jumpers. Very cool looking though. I did have the last one for a few years before he jumped. I don't think I ever had one of those that didn't jump eventually.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new