Tank birthday, 47+ years

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I would probably use a real one and cover it with fiberglass resin like I did to that can. I would find an iron anchor, not galvanized as zinc is very poisonous but iron is not very toxic at all. I had that idea once to put in an anchor and cut off the bottom of the flukes so it appeared to be buried in the gravel and also have a real chain extending through the tank and up out of the water also appearing to be breaking coral and bottles along it's length. Some day I may still do it as I have some anchors laying around. Now, this is a cutie.
 
Last edited:
I am going to have to replace a couple of corals that don't look to well since I put in the bio pellet reactor. Now I learned something and I won't ever be installing any bio pellets again. But if I didn't try them as an experiment, I would never know.
The rest of the corals look like they are recovering but one SPS has some bleached areas. The rest of it looks fine and it may grow back. The large organ pipe is almost gone and I do want to replace that one, but a piece that large is going to be expensive, that is if I could even find one.
I am still looking for a Janss pipefish as no one has them. Not even on line.
I probably have to many fish already and I am going to try to list them.
2 fireclowns.
1 copperband
1 sizzortail gobi.
3 threadfin cardinals
3 stripped cardinals
1 red cardinal.
1 possum wrasse.
2 mandarins
I red scooter bleeny
2 or 3 watchmans
2 clown gobies
1 small fish that I have no idea what it is.
I also don't know how many hermit crabs there are
2 pistol shrimp
1 longspined urchin

I think that's the fish. So it seems there are 20 of them, I am sure I missed one or two as most of my fish are hiders.
I rarely lost fish but sometimes I don't see them for a while so I am not sure of the exact amount. There may be 3 or 4 threadfin cardinals as two of them are spawning and they spawn in the back. The same with those striped cardinals, there was 5 of them, but now I think there are 3. I can't see in the back of the tank and there are a lot of places to hide.
The fish are very healthy and they would not dare get sick or show any spots. That would never happen. I only screw up the corals occasionally and that is always my fault, usually from an experiment. If you don't experiment, you won't learn anything or you will have to rely on other people's opinions. I have always been a loner and like to come to my own decisions through my research and mistakes.
I want to add some LEDs to my lighting so I need to order 20 LEDs from Rapid LED. I also need to make a fixture for my algae trough as 2/3s of those lights are out and no algae is growing. I don't see me getting any time for that until after the holidays. In a couple of weeks I start playing Santa and like many people next week I have to start taking down the Thanksgiving decorations and putting up Christmas.This is an old picture, but I like it.
 
Try hitting up nicewrasse here on the forums. He might be able to source one for you :)
 
Try hitting up nicewrasse here on the forums. He might be able to source one for you :)​

Is he a pipefish dealer? I never got any livestock by mail. I am not sure how that works out. But I may inquire, thanks.
Have a great Thanksgiving.
Paul
 
I would probably use a real one and cover it with fiberglass resin like I did to that can. I would find an iron anchor, not galvanized as zinc is very poisonous but iron is not very toxic at all. I had that idea once to put in an anchor and cut off the bottom of the flukes so it appeared to be buried in the gravel and also have a real chain extending through the tank and up out of the water also appearing to be breaking coral and bottles along it's length. Some day I may still do it as I have some anchors laying around. Now, this is a cutie.

Great idea! That would be perfect. Well now I have to save up for an anchor and a fiberglass treatment. Did you use the kind they use to repair boats? With the epoxy and layers of woven fiberglass? I looked at it on youtube. Doesn't seem too bad.

yes she is quite the cutie :) lol
 
Yes, that is what I used, but I just use the clear resin, not the fiberglass cloth.
 
My corals seem to be healing nicely since I removed the bio pellet reactor. The LPSs especially like the frogspawns are huge and are interfering with the corals near them, this is a good sign. I don't know what the pellets were doing, but the corals didn't like it.
Most of my fish are still spawning and they were not affected by the pellets. I am in awe at how much the clown gobies can spawn, for such tiny fish they spawn every week and have been for a couple of months, maybe longer as it is hard to see their eggs. You can tell by where they killed the acropora and algae grows in that place.
I added a few small corals as I get them for free, I trade some electrical or inventing services for livestock. I get a lot of dinners like that also and a few restaurants owe me free dinners which come in handy this time of the year. I am babysitting my 17 month old Grand Daughter this week as my Daughter is 8 months pregnant and is having a hard time taking care of her and going to the Dr. and all. My tank needs some maintenance like cleaning the glass and picking up some corals that fell but I have no time now. Maybe in Feburary I will be able to have some time for tank stuff. The fish are used to it and take care of themselves. They are just to lazy to clean the glass.
 
Great photo!
 
I got this guy today, he found the feeder in the first ten minutes.


any details on this feeder device? I assume it's some kind of pod condo contraption??

I've been considering picking up one of these red scooters.. they're really cool little fish..
 
I posted a lot of information about the feeder. It is for feeding baby brine shrimp to that fish and mandarins as well as blue striped pipefish. There is a tube going to the surface with a funnel on top that I pour in the baby brine.
Here is a short video

 
Last edited:
I posted a lot of information about the feeder. It is for feeding baby brine shrimp to that fish and mandarins as well as blue striped pipefish. There is a tube going to the surface with a funnel on top that I pour in the baby brine.
Here is a short video


Didn't realize you'd explained it before. I pop in and out of your thread on at least 2 different forums, forget what I saw where and when. Lol.

I'll have to go back and skim through some older pages again :)
 
My tank seems to like it better when I don't go near it or bother the fish for anything. The water is crystal clear and all seems well. Of course they are scratching curses at me on the inside of the glass but I make believe I don't see it. My possum wrasse is still shy but comes out quite a lot just to look around to see if I am there. The pair of pistol shrimp are still making 8" high mountains and toppling rocks. They think that is funny. I think they are spawning but I can't see inside their tunnels as they keep the light off when I am close. The copperband grew a little larger than I would have liked, but I won't give him away for that as he is a good fish and always out in the front and digging around for stray amphipods which there are quite a few. I need to go out and get some worms today or they will really start a riot and I hate those little burn spots on my carpet from when they throw those molotoff cocktails.
I also need to get some clams, some for me and some for the fish. I have two different pairs of cardinals that keep spawning but I can't see their eggs as they always spawn in the back someplace. My tank is in a wall and most of the back, I can't see. Of course the clown gobies spawn on the acropora and kill it. They really don't care how much those things cost.
When I get to the LFS to buy worms I will probably also buy a fish. I just can't help it. Sometimes you can look at my tank and not see anything more than the coppperband as most of my fish like to hide. I don't care about that as I don't keep them to see them, I keep them to see if I can keep them and as long as I occasionally see them and know they are happy, I am happy. This hobby keeps me happy unlike most people who seem to have nothing but problems. I have no idea why you would want to keep doing this if you just keep spending money and keep having problems. I feel that people make their own problems by throwing money at this for all sorts of reactors, pellets, dosers and chemicals that IMO are not needed. I like the natural approach and I think my fish like it also. If your fish are dying in 2 or 3 years, you are doing something wrong as virtually all fish live longer than that, many live over 20 years.
So many threads start out with: I just bought a ribbon eel and don't know what to feed it. Or I have a copperband but it is skinny even though I tried to feed it everything. Then you find out that "everything" is flakes, pellets, seaweed, or angel formula #42. Mandarins get the most ink. To me, they are a small, peaceful, diesease resistant, self supporting, no maintenance fish, but for some reason, they are considered hard. They are accident prone, I will give you that, but they take care of themselves very nicely and are arguably the nicest looking fish there is. I remember the first time I got one in the early seventies. They were called physidelic fish then and I couldn't believe how beautiful they were. Unlike one of my girlfriends I had when I was stationed in Colorado, she looked like a flounder. I think that's what drew me to her.
I just read a thread on another forum (yes I occasionally do that, but only for research to see which forum is better, this one of course) anyway someone mentioned my tank with the reverse UG filter and they were saying that twice a year I have to remove everything from my tank, stir it up, remove the UG plates and then put everything back. Could you imagine removing everything from such an old tank twice a year. Where do people get this stuff from?
My tank requires almost no maintenance. No testing, no quarantining, very little water changes, no vacuuming, no dosing, except some ice melter and baking soda, just glass cleanings and once or twice a year I stir up the gravel and suck out any detritus.
People talk about dosing, adding Phosban, GAC, AARP, GMC and all sort of initials. There is testing, quarantining, cleaning of probes, vacuuming and an entire plethora of things that I don't even know what they are. I assume all of that stuff is needed for something, I just worry that I am doing something wrong as I don't seem to need to do any of it. Maybe I will re think my maintenance procedures which are every day I put my finger on the glass to see if the temp is correct, I smile at my fish and see if they smile back, clean the glass occasionally and throw in some worms.
Yes I also do clean the top of the skimmer every month or so and glue in a coral that my pistol shrimp broke, every few months I do take apart one of the Korilias as those stupid things, for some reason need cleanings. My 30 year old powerheads require nothing. And maybe 5 times a year I change 15 or 20 gallons of water. So I do some maintenance. But that's about it. If I think of anything else, I will post it. Have a great day
 
....sheesh! XD

I am having an absolutely horrible time with aiptasia right now - I got both a couple of peppermint shrimp and a filefish, and neither are touching the stuff...I don't think there's more than two inches of rock space they aren't occupying...but honestly, I still love my tank. ♡ How's that for insane dedication?

I hope I can stay in the hobby as long as you. Or longer. n.n
 
I hope you
can
also, first, you
have to
live long enough, then you
have
to
have fun while you
are doing
It.

I have no idea why it is coming out like this
 
My whiteworms don't know if they are also blackworms. I threw a bunch of whiteworms in the water with the blackworms two days ago and they are all mixed together living like a big commune. It's nice to see that my worms are integrated and all get along.
 
I got one of these today. Meet Teddy. My brand new Grand Son. We got the call at 2:30 this morning and rushed into Manhattan just before Teddy was born.
My fish will have to wait until I get my fill of him before they get much attention. And if they complain, I will remove the water from their tank and fill it with damp sawdust. They hate that.

 
I took this last picture for 2013. I don't have half a copperband, I merged the shots to get the wide shot
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new