Tank birthday, 47+ years

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Fishroomlady, I know you are a Supermodel and a post from you in the morning makes my day.

MrDJeep, or MrsDJeep which ever you are, I live in New York, we have like fifty million people here and most of them own LFSs so we have a lot of fish. There are some good large ones and one I started on salt water in 1972 is still open. They import their own fish so always have a huge variety of un usual stuff that you never see. They are 6 miles from me but my Mother N Law is in a nursing home next door so I get there a lot. Most of the rest of them get their livestock from 2 different suppliers so the stuff is about the same. I don't want to see clowns, tangs and angels, I want unusual stuff like wierd pipes or clingfish. If there is a Supermodel in the store, it makes it more interesting. I know Supermodels because I helped build Playboy Magazine, Penthouse Magazine and I worked a few Victoria Secret photo shoots which I would have worked for free. But they insisted on paying me. :der:

It's Mr. You can call me, Dwayne. Most people do. I'm pretty sure that's my name. :P
As for supermodels...I have one walking around the house. :yield:
 
Everybody needs a little supermodel in their day! Some of us are lucky enough to be married to one. :rockon:

And I wish I had a LFS within 6 miles LOL.
 
Those pipefish have always made me wish i had some. How are they in sps tanks with heavy flow and a bare bottom? Ive always steered away from them because of the flow, but i figured as a Mr.Myagi of pipefish you would be the one to ask :D
 
I can collect them here in NY by the hundreds in very fast flowing water. In my tank they know how to avoid the current and stay near the rocks. I don't think s bare bottom is great for pipefish as small ones like the blue stripes eat pods from the bottom and rocks, they also should have additional feedings from a feeder such as I made. Pipefish also have a short lifespan of only a few years.

Dwayne, I also have a Supermodel.







Besides the one I married

 
Your Granddaughter is very cute!

Thanks for the heads up on the pipefish Paul, i have millions of pods even with the barebottom since the tanks been up for years but i was worried about the lack of them down the road. How are you feeding them? I saw the plastic dish with a lid on it are u hatching shrimp for them in there?
 
Paul, I would love to see you do a presentation at next year's MACNA in Washington!​

They didn't ask me and besides I am so Old school, out of the box and radical, most of them think I am nuts and my tank is an anomaly and can't possibly work. I have spoken a few times but I have never even gone to a MACNA, I can't even spell it

 
Yes I know, Supermodels really love it. That was probably in the very early 70s
 
I am thinking of writing a book. If for no other reason when I get senile in a few years I can read it and argue with myself. There are plenty of books around as I have read them all (or at least used them to clean fish on) but I am thinking of writhing a different type of book with the methods that were used at the beginning of this hobby and why they disappeared with the creation of the internet. Many of the methods we (or at least I) used are now gone but unfortunately some of those methods had merits, just people didn't understand how to implement them. Due to the internet so many people started in the hobby last Tuesday and have tried different things only to have failed and condemned that method. It doesn't matter that it may have been done incorrectly but the method got a bad name and now everyone takes it as fact. So many people feel that changing water or adding some type of media will cure or fix something when maybe something very simple could have been done. People test, then tweek, then test, then tweek then test then tweek in an ongoing cycle and this is done while changing massive quantities of water that it boggles the mind. I am getting old and in 60 years of continuous fish keeping I have tried and failed at just about everything in this hobby. The few things I tried and succeeded at are, to me anyway, proven technologies. I don't have the dis advantage of going to college so I can think out of the box no matter how weird it sounds. I also started way before the internet, computers, MP3 players, copper, test kits, ASW, designer clownfish, Paris Hilton, submersible powerheads, dosers, GFCIs, Smart phones (or cordless phones) DSBs, controllers, Saturday Night Live, Star Trek, Star Wars, Starbucks, JoJo Starbuck or Nancy Pelosi. I think I have seen it all as it is in relation to this hobby. I think I have kept every fish keepable and some not keepable. I do have trouble with manta rays.
uhoh2.gif

I also want to document the various things I designed such as chillers, target feeders, shrimp hatcheries, crab and fish traps, bristle worm traps, reverse UG filters, LED systems, leak detectors etc.
So I am going to start this thing next week and it may take me a few months or the rest of my life. I will have printed at least 5 copies as I know my family and a couple of close friends will read it.
Wish me luck.
biggrin.gif
 
I am thinking of writing a book. If for no other reason when I get senile in a few years I can read it and argue with myself. There are plenty of books around as I have read them all (or at least used them to clean fish on) but I am thinking of writhing a different type of book with the methods that were used at the beginning of this hobby and why they disappeared with the creation of the internet. Many of the methods we (or at least I) used are now gone but unfortunately some of those methods had merits, just people didn't understand how to implement them. Due to the internet so many people started in the hobby last Tuesday and have tried different things only to have failed and condemned that method. It doesn't matter that it may have been done incorrectly but the method got a bad name and now everyone takes it as fact. So many people feel that changing water or adding some type of media will cure or fix something when maybe something very simple could have been done. People test, then tweek, then test, then tweek then test then tweek in an ongoing cycle and this is done while changing massive quantities of water that it boggles the mind. I am getting old and in 60 years of continuous fish keeping I have tried and failed at just about everything in this hobby. The few things I tried and succeeded at are, to me anyway, proven technologies. I don't have the dis advantage of going to college so I can think out of the box no matter how weird it sounds. I also started way before the internet, computers, MP3 players, copper, test kits, ASW, designer clownfish, Paris Hilton, submersible powerheads, dosers, GFCIs, Smart phones (or cordless phones) DSBs, controllers, Saturday Night Live, Star Trek, Star Wars, Starbucks, JoJo Starbuck or Nancy Pelosi. I think I have seen it all as it is in relation to this hobby. I think I have kept every fish keepable and some not keepable. I do have trouble with manta rays.
uhoh2.gif

I also want to document the various things I designed such as chillers, target feeders, shrimp hatcheries, crab and fish traps, bristle worm traps, reverse UG filters, LED systems, leak detectors etc.
So I am going to start this thing next week and it may take me a few months or the rest of my life. I will have printed at least 5 copies as I know my family and a couple of close friends will read it.
Wish me luck.
biggrin.gif


Put me down on that list of future readers.
 
Ok but you have to read like I think, and that may get wierd. :crazy:
 
OK, I wrote the first page today. This is fun. I can write forever as I have a lot of stuff crammed into my head that I almost forgot about and I need to get it out before I forget. :der:
 
Me too! I really enjoy reading about the history of this hobby, and coming from an expert with as much experience and time in the hobby as you, and with your witty sense of humor, I'd love to get my hands on whatever you come up with. Are you planning on encorporating pictures of products, experiences, diy devices, etc... in the book?
 
Yes, the book will have plenty of pictures, drawings, explanations and Supermodel recommendations. Over the last 60 or so years I have devised a multitude of sometimes useless, but more often not quite as useless devices to make this hobby easier, cheaper, less time consuming, more interesting, less confusing and possibly make some sense out of some irritatingly complicated, terminology where only people with more degrees than a thermometer can comprehend.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new