Tank birthday, 47+ years

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I got this guy 3 weeks ago and so far he seems fine. Doesn't eat anything I want to feed him but there is a reason for that. The store got 5 of them in. One was dead and the rest of them were in the process of receiving last rites so they gave him to me for practically nothing. What can I lose. He picks at my montipora all day and doesn't look to have lost any weight but I am not believing that this particular fish will live for ten years.
We will see.
Besides that, yesterday I was asked to speak at a function for Veterans Day. Not about fish, about my experiences in Viet Nam. I am not sure if any other Veterans will be there and I think it is a fund raiser.
It should be interesting and I get a dinner out of it. I was interviewed about that a couple of months ago on a local radio station. :D
 
Becks, no, I have no tangs now. I normally have a hippo tang which is the only one I like and they live about ten years but now I have a large copperband and the 6' tank is not big enough for another tang right now. I have had lipstick tangs, yellow tangs, purple tangs etc and I just don't find them as interesting as many other fish
 
If I could catch this wrasse I would give him away as he has gotten a little big for my tank. He is about 6".
I am talking about the striped one, not the spotted leopard.

 
I want a Leopard wrasse, naso tangs are my fav but my tank is not big enough and I would not want to have to part with him in the future. I was asking because I like your philosophy with reef keeping and I was undecided for so long about getting a tang because my tank is so peaceful presently and I was worried it might change the dynamic of the tank. But I got a small yellow tang who seems so far, quite mellow.
 
Even small yellow tangs get big. In the ocean those suckers are like 9". I was almost tempted today to get a purple tang. I didn't get it because I just have this thing against tangs. I find them boring. But I do like Hippo tangs for some reason
 
I got this guy 3 weeks ago and so far he seems fine. Doesn't eat anything I want to feed him but there is a reason for that. The store got 5 of them in. One was dead and the rest of them were in the process of receiving last rites so they gave him to me for practically nothing. What can I lose. He picks at my montipora all day and doesn't look to have lost any weight but I am not believing that this particular fish will live for ten years.
We will see.
Besides that, yesterday I was asked to speak at a function for Veterans Day. Not about fish, about my experiences in Viet Nam. I am not sure if any other Veterans will be there and I think it is a fund raiser.
It should be interesting and I get a dinner out of it. I was interviewed about that a couple of months ago on a local radio station. :D

Hi Paul, What is this guy called? Wild looking little thing
 
I'm not Paul, but I'm almost as bald and as old as him.

The fish is a Oxymonacanthus longirostris - Harlequin or Orange Spotted Filefish.
 
Yes that is what he is called, but I call him Harold. Or Heather depending on if I think he is swimming like a girl or not. :rolleyes:

 
I just made some delicious stuffed calamari for dinner that we will have over linguini and clams tonight. I had too many tentacles left over and didn't want to throw them away so I chopped some of it up for my fish. I generally don't feed squid to my fish as I feel clams are much better but my copperband thinks he died and went to heaven because he will eat all you give him and I want to fill him up a little so I can get some food into the rest of the fish as he hogs most of it.



 
i had shoulder operation #5 today. I hope he used some quality toggle bolts and not from home depot. nerve blockers are great so no pain yet, but I know what it feels when it wears off.

but it is a real man pain and not a girly man pain......besides I got plenty of pain pills.

sorry about the typing. its hard to make capitals with one hand :rolleyes:
 
i had shoulder operation #5 today. I hope he used some quality toggle bolts and not from home depot. nerve blockers are great so no pain yet, but I know what it feels when it wears off.

but it is a real man pain and not a girly man pain......besides I got plenty of pain pills.

sorry about the typing. its hard to make capitals with one hand :rolleyes:
Hoping for speedy recovery
 
i had shoulder operation #5 today. I hope he used some quality toggle bolts and not from home depot. nerve blockers are great so no pain yet, but I know what it feels when it wears off.

but it is a real man pain and not a girly man pain......besides I got plenty of pain pills.

sorry about the typing. its hard to make capitals with one hand :rolleyes:
Dang man. Sorry to hear.
Didn't you have anything laying around they could have used?
 
Dang man. Sorry to hear.
Didn't you have anything laying around they could have used?

I actually did, but he didn't want to use my toggle bolts. Something about his being more sterile or something. But I told him I like dirt so it makes me immune. :)

I'm surprised you didn't do it yourself. And you call yourself a handyman... :rolleyes:
Heal quickly.

I wanted to do it myself. After 4 of them I could do it easily. But my wife talked me out of it because my screaming would have kept the neighbors up. I suggested I do it on Halloween to scare the kids. :eek:

I am looking forward to reading through this thread!

It's only 1,499 pages so it should be no problem. 3 or 4 of them are actually about fish. The rest are about Supermodels, boats, other surgeries, Viet Nam and recipes. :D
 
My Skimmer Is working so good since I changed that 20 year old pump that was running the venturi. Now I get about half gallon a week effluent out of it.

I'm like all tingly inside..
Now of course with an arm I can't move I have a loose ATO hose, a broken coral that needs gluing and a skimmer top that needs cleaning. At least I can clean the glass with one hand
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new