Tank birthday, 47+ years

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my white worms in my fridge for 24 hours. (I have a special refrigerator in my man cave just for my fish (Beer).

The next day I didn't see any flies, but two days later the flies were back, only now they had on bomber jackets so the fridge thing may not work again.
I would imagine I could keep the worms in the fridge but I doubt they would multiply in there so I am looking for another way to eliminate them.

I know the worms live for five days in salt water so I may flood them for 24 hours and see if the flies survive. I may end up with a stinky mess so if I do.
(I had to delete the last sentence as it may not be PC and I don't want the Mods to sneak up to my house and put a bag of dead sea cucumbers there, light it on fire, ring my door bell and run away. Then take away my Excellence banner) :rolleyes:
Are you saying flies are coming out of the white worm culture? If so then files must have laid eggs which I assume turn into maggots. If so do something about the compost or whatever is harbouring them. Or have I missed something here like you have Isis flies sneaking into your fridge at night and boogie trapping your culture

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the flies are coming out of the worm culture, unless some of the worms are turning into Rodan larvae and flying away.
I am going to try flooding them for 24 hours to see if that works. But I think I saw one of the flies wearing SCUBA gear. o_O

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the flies are coming out of the worm culture, unless some of the worms are turning into Rodan larvae and flying away.
I am going to try flooding them for 24 hours to see if that works. But I think I saw one of the flies wearing SCUBA gear. o_O
Oh dear, I fear you may have the navy seals species of flies. These are particularly nasty and beather underwater but not only that they can hold their breath for hours at a time. The soldier ones carry spear guns and some even limpet mines so if you find any limpets in them or even in your tank you may have to employ depthcharges to eradicate them.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago I built a Nitrate De-nitrifer out of a calcium reactor that I had laying around. I ran it for about 3 weeks and it turns 30 ppm of nitrate into zero in a few minutes.

Today it's raining and the thing was in my way on my workbench so I installed it. I don't really have much of a nitrate problem but I felt like experimenting. I doubt it will lower my nitrates much as they are now about 25 but I like putzing so it is what it is.

It's the thing with the yellow pellets. I didn't use a calcium chamber for the effluent because it dumps into my reverse UG filter which is made out of dolomite so calcium shouldn't be needed.
If my tank crashes in a week or two, I was wrong. ;Wideyed

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Paul, congrats on your 47 years + Reef tank that’s an achievement and like they say! you. are never too old to still be in this hobby, much wiser and full off knowledge. I bet you had your ups and downs when you first started like so many of us, but must of us carry on, learning as we go along each time and correcting our mistakes. My tank is slightly over 3 years old and I already I’ve learnt a lot, but don’t think I will get anywhere near 47 years + that would make me 108 years old Lol, I would be amazed if I did. Alll the best Paul.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh dear, I fear you may have the navy seals species of flies. These are particularly nasty and beather underwater but not only that they can hold their breath for hours at a time. The soldier ones carry spear guns and some even limpet mines so if you find any limpets in them or even in your tank you may have to employ depthcharges to eradicate them.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.we arrived on the Mayflower apart from a few red Indians John Wayne all but eliminated.

Speaking about the Mayflower. Today is the day the pilgrims left Europe to come here and screw up this country and start religious freedom. Of course they started to burn people as witches, excommunicate them if they texted in church and if they caught them chewing gum on Sunday, they would tie them up and dunk them in ASW that was cycled with a live shrimp. o_O

They had their first Thanksgiving and invited the Native Americans (who they called Indians because they weren't politically correct like I am, but even the native Americans called themselves Indians, then they started baseball teams :oops: )

The "Indians" showed them how to cook corn and turkey and we showed them how to get lung cancer by smoking. Actually I think they gave that to us. I am not sure but they didn't invent HMOs yet which is why there are no more Pilgrims.
Then Bernie Sanders offered them free health insurance, college, diapers and paper clips which made all the people we left in Europe broke which caused Brixit. :p

Here where I live we have quite a few Native Americans because Long Island was owned by them.
We gave them some Toyota parts along with a few eggplants and now they are required to live on a small reservation where they sell cigarettes and 8 track tape recorders. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is doing great. My hippo tang didn't get ich, dropsy, mononucleosis or anything else as some of the tang police said he would get if I didn't quarantine him (God Forbid) He also never gets algae clips or nori.

My watchman gobies will spawn soon and my Janss pipefish is so healthy he does aerobics every morning. I am really surprised that particular fish lived so long as they are supposed to be so delicate.

I want another pair of bluestriped pipefish as they lived out their life like they were supposed to and croak of old age which for them is only a few years. I think they spawned themselves to death. o_O

My old Fireclown is about 28 years old and still spawning although I am surprised he is not tired of that yet. I think those guys live into their 30s.

A few months ago I bought a quart of clams for bait. I only went fishing once so I have been using them for the fish.
I am not sure how old those clams are, but I am not eating them and the fish ain't complaining.
My Copperband could probably eat the entire thing by himself. I don't know how old he is, I barely know how old I am and if my birthday wasn't on Christmas, I wouldn't remember that.
These guys are also still doing well

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I keep trying to get a good picture but I keep failing. Of course Hippo tangs are a beautiful deep blue, but that picture came out like he is a sunken battleship from WW2.
I can't get the blue. ;Sour

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I keep trying to get a good picture but I keep failing. Of course Hippo tangs are a beautiful deep blue, but that picture came out like he is a sunken battleship from WW2.
I can't get the blue. ;Sour
Hardest fish for me to get a picture of. He either looks gray or like he is made of blue tinted metal. :mad:

Speaking of gray... transformer testing this past week. In 98F weather with no breeze. ;Blackeye

1568752695249.png

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today we are going to this very calm, un occupied lagoon with some friends to relax. If it's low tide I will try to collect some mud, amphipods, seaweed and maybe snails.
It's a beautiful day and we want to take advantage of it as long as the nice weather is around.

I had a little argument with my wife this morning, and we never fight. :rolleyes:

She threw out our blender that we have had as one of our engagement gifts in 1973.
Yes, there was electricity then, and fire. :cool:

She bought a new blender which I am sure is made in China, Japan, Sri Lanka, India, Peru, Tunisia or someplace that is not in America. I am sure they make great blenders in those countries and I think the local people should use them and be very proud. But as an American, I care more about American people working. Not that I want to see any body else starve, but my first priority is to my country.

My family all came from Sicily but I am not Sicilian, I am American.

The old blender was running just fine and I use it every week to make my wife's "Jumping Juice" that takes away her pain.

The new blender, I think it's a "Kitchen Aid" is 100% plastic and sounds like an outboard motor. It may have been an outboard motor at one time. It is harder to clean and it will probably last a couple of years and also probably has no parts you can fix after it croaks.

To Me it is sacrilege to throw out a good, working American appliance just to get a new, shiny red one that is not as good and will never last as long. :mad:

Of course I rescued the thing and will donate it to the American Legon to use at their bar.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back