Tank birthday, 47+ years

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shy of relief there Paul. Funny you chose to talk about you blue stripped pipes as I was in an LFS and they had a pair in. I am sure they didn't realise they were a pair as they had them marked up singular not as a pair. They were swimming round together one a little smaller than the other. I was very tempted to buy them I must admit but I bought some new lights and blown my budget for the next couple of months at least. They were marked up at £20 that's UK pounds each so I guess not far off $50 for the 2. Still I need to replace my yellow wrasse and also stop buying fish. That one advantage the QT guys have over us, they replace fish much more often.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a normal price for bluestripes. They constantly spawn.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a normal price for bluestripes. They constantly spawn.
Yeah, am not complaining about the price just the amount I have spent on my tank recently. The LFS was some distance from me and am unlikely to go there again. Where I lived less than a year ago Inwas spoilt for LFSs. I had about 6 within 45 mins drive some closer that are good shops. Here it's something of a poor show marine wise with little or poor stock. I need to visit my old FLS Borscough Aquatics, now that's my kind of shop.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem, Where I used to live I couldn't swing a dead catfish without hitting 4 or 5 LFSs. Here I have to wait until my wife has to go to a doctor and for some reason LFSs are near Doctors offices. It must be some kind of a law. :cool:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I come originally from Beatle city in the UK for those under 30 with a large population. There is only one shop selling marines and they only have a small marine section. Just up the road less than an hour away there are many such shops some excellent. Makes no sence as those in Liverpool have to travel out to these shops for stock. One of my favourite shops Burscough Aquatics is in a place called Ormskirk in Lancashire many of their best customers travel from Liverpool and surrounding areas. Makes no sence as to why there isn't at least one big shop selling marines.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, after a few failed attempts, I succeeded in getting this 3D resin printer to do what I want. The first issue was with my computer which didn't have enough RAM so I installed another card, doubling the capacity of my 10+ year old computer.

My second problem was trying to determine how to position the supports on the model.
With a Resin printer the resin is liquid and while it is "printing" the model is still soft so you have to design in supports to hold it as it is forming. You can see them on that gray piece which was a disaster. The gear was a test and I didn't even design the teeth correctly but it taught me a few things.

The last two pieces are perfect and will be used on top and bottom of a glass tube which will hold an LED "Firelight" for one of my Steam Punk pieces. They will be artificially "rusted" for the piece.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday we were at an art gallery where my SteamPunk "Art" pieces are displayed along with other artists and there was a photographer there because it was a huge crowd that could barely fit in the small gallery.

The photographer noticed my pieces and apparently liked them so she took pictures of myself and my wife in front of one of them for "Dan's Papers".

Dan's Papers is the largest free paper on Long Island NY and covers all of eastern Long Island . About 2,000,000 people. It is in every restaurant, bar, supermarket, card store, laundromat and lfs.

So they tell me that this Thursday I will be in there. Christie Brinkley I am sure gets that paper so I am sure she will want me to make her a piece. OK, Maybe not. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love this one and hope it doesn't sell. :p

Today I went for acupuncture for my knee. The thing was replaced but it didn't work and they won't give me a refund and put my old one back because they had it bronzed and it is hanging in the Smithsonian.

The Surgeon said he needs to operate again to replace one part that is the wrong size. I thought they were like "Fruit of the Loom, " one size fits all, but I guess I was wrong, so when the guy was installing it and asked the nurse for the knee joint she handed him the wrong one because maybe she was applying lip stick, doing her nails or texting her boyfriend what she wanted for dinner.

I am not sure but either way he said if he operates to fix it, it will get worse which was not the outcome I was looking for because I wanted to continue my career as a bungee jumping fish Geek. :oops:

So my wife asked (made) me go for acupuncture. Now I believe in acupuncture as much as I believe in quarantine with the same degree of success but I like to talk to Asian Ladies so I agreed to go.

(The acupuncturist lives in my old neighborhood so we had a lot in common)

I was always trying to date Asian Girls when I was young because I was drawn to them but they were mostly repulsed by me. :rolleyes:

I still am but my wife frowns on that sort of thing. :mad:

Of course I was drawn to any girl with a pulse.

So I go into the office and fill out the forms. Do those forms seem silly to anyone else. If I am going for acupuncture for my knee do they really have to know why I quit smoking in 1969 or what is my favorite alcoholic drink? (Singapore Sling)

So I am sitting there with my pants leg rolled up and the lady comes in carrying a handful of
"Screwdrivers"!!!!

I said WWWOOHhhhhhh. I thought you use those tiny needles that go into your ying and yang and they don't hurt.

She says, Oh yes, these are to tighten up that heat lamp that I am going to shine on you.

OK, So we talk a while because as I said, I like talking and can talk the fuzz off a peach. A good peach, not one of those over ripe, mushy ones.
She pokes around until she finds the nerves that are inflamed and sticks 9 or 10 needles in them.

Then she shines the heat light on me and disappears for 15 minutes.

When she comes back in we had a nice light chat about Shanghai where she comes from and about the Corona Virus. Which I am sure is not on these needles.

So now I am home with the same pain and have to go back in a week for another nice talk. I mean session.
I am sure this will have me doing double axles at the ice skating Olympics in a few years.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had acupuncture once in my hand near my thumb,it hurt esp when she twisted the needles back and forth. I was it for a damaged wrist sustained from a motorbike accident. You know the type of guy, I am riding my motorbike and a blind man in a car pulled out in front of me. He says "sorry mate I didn't see you" I had a high viz vest and my headlamp on so obviously completely bind. He was driving his car using autopilot and a phone app.

I was tempted by some cardinal fish in an LFS today that I don't recall seeing before. I have more than enough fish so I left them. That's the problem when your fish don't die from copper or medication poisoning you get to the point where you have to stop adding fish. I know terrible isn't it.
Anyway I took a couple of pics of them on my phone but couldn't get a close up of one. They were no more than 1.1/2" long and a nice rosy reddish colour.
20200221_150822.jpg
20200221_150819.jpg

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had acupuncture, but I've had 'dry needling' about a dozen times. It is similar to acupuncture in that they poke you full of holes using needles that are at least 50 feet long. I found that it really helped with my neck pain.

The first time I had it done, I got poked a bunch of times in the back of my neck and then he told me to roll over. When I told him that I couldn't because of all the needles stuck in my neck, he started to laugh and said there aren't any needles stuck in you, I stick them in and then pull them out right away. He could have fooled me. Two hours later I was still grabbing my neck to make sure that they weren't there, because it sure felt like they were.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it has been a couple of days and my knee is much worse now. I am starting to walk like my arrow crab just after I got him when he had a leg missing. But his grew back.

When me and my wife walk down the street now all we need is a fife, bugle and a flag so we can look like those Civil War guys.

But it's only a knee and I can walk on my hands. :rolleyes:

I picked up a six line wrasse a few days ago just because I was in a LFS with a pocketful of money and they had nothing interesting. A 6 line wrasse is not interesting but one of her lines was crooked and it looked like it was spelling "Angelina Jolie" so I bought her.

My tank is doing very well but I have a bunch of aiptasia, one of them is about 4" long so I may sell it as a glass carpet anemone. :rolleyes:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it has been a couple of days and my knee is much worse now. I am starting to walk like my arrow crab just after I got him when he had a leg missing. But his grew back.

When me and my wife walk down the street now all we need is a fife, bugle and a flag so we can look like those Civil War guys.

But it's only a knee and I can walk on my hands. :rolleyes:

I picked up a six line wrasse a few days ago just because I was in a LFS with a pocketful of money and they had nothing interesting. A 6 line wrasse is not interesting but one of her lines was crooked and it looked like it was spelling "Angelina Jolie" so I bought her.

My tank is doing very well but I have a bunch of aiptasia, one of them is about 4" long so I may sell it as a glass carpet anemone. :rolleyes:
Nope, you can't have one 6 line wrasse you got to have a him and a her to see the interaction and see them spawn Paul. Come on Paul I thought I knew you better than that and that boring fish can become interesting when you have a Mr&Mrs.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am lucky the store had one, and I only think they had that one because it has a defective line.
Stores now are stocked with things like goldfish. guppies, damsels and boring tangs. Nothing interesting.

Not one pipefish, clingfish, pinecone fish, flashlight fish, or manta ray. :rolleyes:

Not even an interesting crab. Just snails. Like, who wants snails?

I can't spend any money no matter what I do.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local LFS is similar Paul. However a 40 min drives brings to to a decent one.
I thought you had found a decent LFS not far from you a couple of weeks ago or is this the same one?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back