Tank crashed during extended move, now what?

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short:

PXL_20220507_183001221.MP.jpg

A move was supposed to take 2 days with a third day dedicated just to moving the tank. None of that happened. Move ended up lasting almost a week with no time left for the tank. Electric got shut off earlier than expect at the previous house. No way to make saltwater for 3 more days. Once I finally got everything back in the tank you could just see how bad it had become. All SPS (as expected) dead. All Fish dead. Half of the LR smell so rotten I didn't even put them in the tank. Had to toss 90% of the sand bed. on and on. Tank as slowly start to balance out but I really don't know where to go from here. I even made the comment to the wife "Maybe I should just sell everything"

I think my overall thoughts right now are this; How long should I recycle my tank? (tank was previously up 2.5 years) In what order should I start to add inhabitants? (There are still some pieces of corals left alive.) Is there anything in particular I should be keeping an eye on? I have turned off all the dosers for now, I will have to monitor the tank before starting that. There is so much here to process. It has been about a week now and still trying to figure out my path.

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short:

PXL_20220507_183001221.MP.jpg

A move was supposed to take 2 days with a third day dedicated just to moving the tank. None of that happened. Move ended up lasting almost a week with no time left for the tank. Electric got shut off earlier than expect at the previous house. No way to make saltwater for 3 more days. Once I finally got everything back in the tank you could just see how bad it had become. All SPS (as expected) dead. All Fish dead. Half of the LR smell so rotten I didn't even put them in the tank. Had to toss 90% of the sand bed. on and on. Tank as slowly start to balance out but I really don't know where to go from here. I even made the comment to the wife "Maybe I should just sell everything"

I think my overall thoughts right now are this; How long should I recycle my tank? (tank was previously up 2.5 years) In what order should I start to add inhabitants? (There are still some pieces of corals left alive.) Is there anything in particular I should be keeping an eye on? I have turned off all the dosers for now, I will have to monitor the tank before starting that. There is so much here to process. It has been about a week now and still trying to figure out my path.
So sorry for this loss, very unfortunate. Ive had similar issues recently and was on the verge of just selling everything too and I was not excited about my tank anymore. Eventually, I decided to keep it and move on. I suggest your start building back up again but slowly of course. Post this issue on your local groups/forums and im sure some people will help out. Remove anything completely dead and keep anything with any signs of life. Consider it a new tank build with new coral and fish possibilities. It is hard to make anything positive out of such a crappy situation, but as I said, your tank can be back to its glory in to time!

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could scrub and rinse the rocks; it might not be a bad idea to put them in their own container with salt water and a pump and let them chill for a couple of weeks while doing water changes. I would replace all of the sand that you removed (possibly all of the original sand) or at least rinse it and put it back in. Let the system run for a few weeks and perform water changes to try and remove any of the leftover dead stuff.

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could scrub and rinse the rocks; it might not be a bad idea to put them in their own container with salt water and a pump and let them chill for a couple of weeks while doing water changes. I would replace all of the sand that you removed (possibly all of the original sand) or at least rinse it and put it back in. Let the system run for a few weeks and perform water changes to try and remove any of the leftover dead stuff.
I ended up adding some nitrifying bacteria because the water turn cloudy within 12 hours of adding everything back to the tank. I think I had in mind for the rotten rock is to dry out completely and do a good scrub then start a new cycle with them. Then again, less rock bigger colonies. I couldn't find any sand locally so that was the reason I used the tiny amount that I did. It was rinse kinda good. There is less than 1/4 inch of sand as it stands. I wanted to go with just enough for a wrasse and snails to play/sleep. I need to buy more ammonia test kits or reagent. I guess I ran out and never thought to buy anymore.

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sucks. Sorry for your loses. I would start testing for ammonia and wait for that to stabilize , then slowly repopulate starting with fish and inverts.
I have 2 hermits and a nassarious snail. woop woop. lol I am a stickler for fish though. I much prefer corals. That being said. I had just bought a fancy net top so that I can buy a jumper. Maybe I could go with a single fish(Wrasse)

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for this loss, very unfortunate. Ive had similar issues recently and was on the verge of just selling everything too and I was not excited about my tank anymore. Eventually, I decided to keep it and move on. I suggest your start building back up again but slowly of course. Post this issue on your local groups/forums and im sure some people will help out. Remove anything completely dead and keep anything with any signs of life. Consider it a new tank build with new coral and fish possibilities. It is hard to make anything positive out of such a crappy situation, but as I said, your tank can be back to its glory in to time!
Thank you for this. I have reached out to local folk and many have offered up replacement pieces for all my losses. (most of my pieces were bought locally). I was currently pushing for more sticky SPS rather than Monti dominant. That is defiantly an option right now. I'm not excited about what happened but like you pointed out, there is a plus side. At one point I looked at my family who were just sitting there in aww of me resetting up the tank. I just looked and said, "This is my hobby, How often do I get to do this" of course I was coaching myself on as I cried inside.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up adding some nitrifying bacteria because the water turn cloudy within 12 hours of adding everything back to the tank. I think I had in mind for the rotten rock is to dry out completely and do a good scrub then start a new cycle with them. Then again, less rock bigger colonies. I couldn't find any sand locally so that was the reason I used the tiny amount that I did. It was rinse kinda good. There is less than 1/4 inch of sand as it stands. I wanted to go with just enough for a wrasse and snails to play/sleep. I need to buy more ammonia test kits or reagent. I guess I ran out and never thought to buy anymore.
I can relate to the struggle with reagents. I had a bunch expire and didn't realize why my results were so weird. Sounds like you're on the right track. As Tuan said above take it slow on the restocking, I would start with one or two damsels. I would also test nitrates/phosphates before adding any new coral. Good luck with the recovery!

Wakenbaker420

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss! I dread the day I may have to move and break my tank down!! Don't give up, just start over. Redesign your aquascape and do things differently with all the knowledge you've acquired. There are things I'd do differently if I had to restart. Hopefully gives you a little more excitement about the hobby again. I'd give you some new frags to help stock new beginning if your in my area....my tank is over flowing. Best of luck

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to leave advice about restarting your tank to the experts. I just wanted to say I am so sorry for yours losses. What's that saying... The best laid plans of men (and women) often go awry. I wish your tank a speedy recovery and I look forward to seeing your rebuild. You can probably do a new build thread.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all . Sorry to hear about your loss . Even something which sounds as simple as moving can be a huge adventure .

I’d personally start with and prey you were able up keep the rocks submerged in water to preserve any biological bacteria .
Next either rinse or scrap the old sand .
there should be enough bacteria to sustain life and to process ammonia .
Give it a little time and start adding stock again .
I’m going to tag @brandon429
He will provide much better advice and to make sense of what I’m trying to say. I have been there . I know how terrible the feeling is of losing years of work in a short period of time

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to leave advice about restarting your tank to the experts. I just wanted to say I am so sorry for yours losses. What's that saying... The best laid plans of men (and women) often go awry. I wish your tank a speedy recovery and I look forward to seeing your rebuild. You can probably do a new build thread.
That is a debate I am currently having. Do people want a continuation of the current build thread? Or lay the current one to rest and start a new thread. Would love to have others chime in on this subject.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a debate I am currently having. Do people want a continuation of the current build thread? Or lay the current one to rest and start a new thread. Would love to have others chime in on this subject.
I’m all for continuing the old thread as long as it’s the same tank .

ideally to show how what once was has evolved
Not only the system but what you went through to get where everything is now . And moving forward

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say if you're envisioning something new and are pretty much starting fresh (even though you will still have some of the tank inhabitants carry on) then start a new thread. You can end your current thread with the story of what happened with the move and provide a link to the new build. If you plan to continue on with almost everything being the same then carry forward with the same thread. :) I think a complete redo deserves a new thread. Just my 2 cents. :)

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say if you're envisioning something new and are pretty much starting fresh (even though you will still have some of the tank inhabitants carry on) then start a new thread. You can end your current thread with the story of what happened with the move and provide a link to the new build. If you plan to continue on with almost everything being the same then carry forward with the same thread. :) I think a complete redo deserves a new thread. Just my 2 cents. :)
I agree to disagree .
I see the purpose of many build threads is to document both the good and bad .
learning curve along with memories what happened as it matures
But the end decision is on the op whether to start new or continue

either way …
Happy reefing .
quitting is barely a option
We always return lol

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In retrospect, what would you advise others planning a move? Lessons learned are always helpful to this group!
The best lesson is the one self taught .

I for one know I’ll never believe old myths of using old sand is beneficial and will not instantly cycle a new system

FurrierTransform

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I for one know I’ll never believe old myths of using old sand is beneficial and will not instantly cycle a new system
Oh now, that's interesting. I would believe the anaerobic bacteria would need to replenish themselves, if the sand is agitated, but I'd think the ammonia and nitrites would be under control pretty darn quickly. thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ive been there. Best bet for coral is :
See if a friend, club, or LFS would house/nurse coral for you for 2-4 weeks while you get tank stabilized. Add MicroBacter XLM which works well to get denitrifying bacteria restored. Focus on light setongs as well as flow during this time also

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The thing about this time was that the things that happen were out of my control. I had plans for everything lined up. I was going to spend a full 24 hours tearing down the tank and moving it. I was going to have 125% of the saltwater needed for cleaning and fresh tank water. I was going to spend another 48 just adjusting everything like I wanted. Nothing went as planned. It was just a fluke I hope.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 80 47.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back