Tank crashed frogspawn not recovering

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my frogspawn isn’t doing so well. I think it is fimbriaphyllia yaeyamensis

63E72724-1EED-487F-A37C-7686BD238095.jpeg

It has been one day since the crash and only this one is not recovering. Any ideas? 6D720FD2-A29A-4E78-9BAC-4C3B510E54A8.jpeg
I broadcast fed reef roids and there was a feeding response

OP
OP
joefishtank

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BTA died and started melting. All my lps receded inside their skeletons. I cleaned the whole tank did 40% water change. I only test salinity 1.025. I did a 50% water change 2 days before the crash. I'm going to do another 50% tonight or tomorrow. All the other coral are acting good like they didn't almost get wiped out. It's just that head that has too much skeleton showing. I use coral pro salt and ro water and I just replaced my entire unit.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BTA died and started melting. All my lps receded inside their skeletons. I cleaned the whole tank did 40% water change. I only test salinity 1.025. I did a 50% water change 2 days before the crash. I'm going to do another 50% tonight or tomorrow. All the other coral are acting good like they didn't almost get wiped out. It's just that head that has too much skeleton showing. I use coral pro salt and ro water and I just replaced my entire unit.
Anemone can release toxin into the water as they die. Do another water change. Run big bag of carbon. You need to test parameters weekly not just salinity.

OP
OP
joefishtank

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone can release toxin into the water as they die. Do another water change. Run big bag of carbon. You need to test parameters weekly not just salinity.
I'm pretty low tech right now. I don't even have an ATO on my nano. I don't test nitrates I kind of just look at algae growth. I'm trying to build a sixth sense for my tank. I think I'm at the point where I need to start testing cal alk and mag but instead of doing that I'm going to start doing 50% water changes 2x a week and see if they do better than when I was doing 25% a week. I think 4x more water exchange should be a noticeable difference or I really need to start testing and dosing.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty low tech right now. I don't even have an ATO on my nano. I don't test nitrates I kind of just look at algae growth. I'm trying to build a sixth sense for my tank. I think I'm at the point where I need to start testing cal alk and mag but instead of doing that I'm going to start doing 50% water changes 2x a week and see if they do better than when I was doing 25% a week. I think 4x more water exchange should be a noticeable difference or I really need to start testing and dosing.
This is not a good approach. You do big water changes when you have a tank emergency or bad situation that requires it. Nano tanks need basic care. 10 to 15% water change weekly is fine. You can take water to LFS for testing until you get kits. You need to test alk, nitrates, phosphate and salinity weekly. Test cal and mag monthly.

OP
OP
joefishtank

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not a good approach. You do big water changes when you have a tank emergency or bad situation that requires it. Nano tanks need basic care. 10 to 15% water change weekly is fine. You can take water to LFS for testing until you get kits. You need to test alk, nitrates, phosphate and salinity weekly. Test cal and mag monthly.
I'm a beginner reefer trying to train myself to be a better reefer. I have some work experience growing on a farm. We used an inert soil media and directly fed chemicals to our plants with water. I don't want my tank to just look fine; I want it to look JUICED. I want a little nano on the same scale as those giant high tech displays. I also want to overstock fish in my tank so in the long term I might need the nutrient export. When I level up to intermediate reefer I'm going to dose fresh mixed saltwater with elevated numbers the proper amount once a week. I also do youtube for more fun and edumacational purposes since I'm learning too.

I think I know how to test and start a dosing schedule, but I want to be more on the hobbyist side for now. If I decide I want to be a professional I can't go back. All my stuff would have to be on that elevated level of professionalism. I would probably not find this hobby fun anymore and I'd probably start an indoor coral operation tbh lol

I don't mean to seem ungrateful for your advice I honestly agree with you. I just went crazy being a professional plant grower. I actually hate plants now haha, but I super like saltwater fishtank. I even enjoy watching the algae grow in my tank. I have bubble algae that I tried to remove all of during this maintenance. I have a small amount of some single strand hair algae. There's a weird slimy algae that grows on my HOB. My favorite is like a turf hair algae.

Also the closest lfs only tests basic stuff for people starting their nitrogen cycle. I already considered dosing and testing but they sold specific test kits for $50 ea and I didn't want to make the initial investment. I racked my brain and I thought I'd rather do a redundant amount of water changes than spend that much right now lol

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Lavey, your freshwater and plant growing experience won't help you with a reef tank, its completely different, its much more difficult.

Most people entering the hobby end up leaving a year later. Not to scare you, but your comments suggest you do not have proper understanding of what your getting into.

Its also incredibly expensive, not getting any test kits because of funds will end up with dead animals, every time.

OP
OP
joefishtank

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did another water change last night other coral showed even more improvement
5936A793-3621-498F-8C20-406B6AD29508.jpeg

The one I’m having an issue with is still not looking idealio
440FE345-BB44-4BC1-8BE6-D3C870412D41.jpeg
I think I should dip because I don’t think it’s a water quality issue I have hydrogen peroxide dipx and coralrx tbh I think I’m going to leave it until it develops an infection or some necrosis. I’m not experienced enough as a reefer to risk stressing it more. I’m experienced enough as a cultivator to know where my knowledge ends and I need outside help.

Saltyfresh1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip it !?!? kungfu corals has a dip recipe that I heard was Godsend … I haven’t need to do it yet myself but have the ingredients on stand by

vsolovyev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not responding well to the toxins of the anemone, fairly common to see after something like that. Ive had an anemone get shredded by a powerhead before, definitely ticks off your tank. Large water changes are key. Took about 4 months to recover for me. Don't dip unless its completely necessary (brown jelly disease or some infection) I would just leave it be and let it recover. Also, I would be wary to use reef roids right now, until they fully recover, im not sure how much of the food they are actually eating due to trying to recover so thats just possibly raising your nitrates/phosphates with no benefit to your corals

OP
OP
joefishtank

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Lavey, your freshwater and plant growing experience won't help you with a reef tank, its completely different, its much more difficult.

Most people entering the hobby end up leaving a year later. Not to scare you, but your comments suggest you do not have proper understanding of what your getting into.

Its also incredibly expensive, not getting any test kits because of funds will end up with dead animals, every time.
I knew exactly what I was getting into when I told adult boomers I wanted to go against prohibition as my dream job in high school. They all have the same mindset. They all always say the same things. I did a lot of research then like I do now.

I'm not like most people. You should honestly consider me a crazy person. The amount of livestock I put into an unstable low tech nano tank as a beginner. How could I possibly make this tank any more difficult for myself? I only have a HOB filter, a heater, a light and a wave maker. I want more reefer experience.

What do you think is going to get me to quit? I expected my first tank to wipe 100%. I just avoided it this time. I probably caught the nem at about 20%-40% decay 2-3 days after it started melting. If I only tested weekly depending on the day it still could have caused a complete tank meltdown. I think the most ideal situation would be if I noticed a slight decline in my coral on day one notice elevated numbers and looked into it, but I'm not at that level yet.

This hobby can be as cheap or expensive as we make it. As adults we make our own financial decisions. I remember exactly how much all my animals cost. If I want to calculate my total losses I can do that too. I love nature checking on my pets is a lot more enjoyable than chasing numbers.

There are people who get icp tests and they still lose animals. Whats the point of testing if you don't know how to apply it. I have the work experience managing a farm I honestly believe I could do the same for a coral farm. If I entered this hobby with a professional mindset I think I would quit in a year since it would be so boring just keeping my tank stable. It is hard for me to try to explain my point of view. I'm having fun not trying too hard and learning from my mistakes.

Growing plants as a hobby = fun
Growing plants on a farm = I hate plants now.
Salt water tank made me want to do aquaponics which is fresh water but its growing fish and the refugium is a grow bed of plants you can eat.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did another water change last night other coral showed even more improvement
5936A793-3621-498F-8C20-406B6AD29508.jpeg

The one I’m having an issue with is still not looking idealio
440FE345-BB44-4BC1-8BE6-D3C870412D41.jpeg
I think I should dip because I don’t think it’s a water quality issue I have hydrogen peroxide dipx and coralrx tbh I think I’m going to leave it until it develops an infection or some necrosis. I’m not experienced enough as a reefer to risk stressing it more. I’m experienced enough as a cultivator to know where my knowledge ends and I need outside help.
There are so many possibilities that could have caused this - IMHO the LAST thing to do is a dip right now. Use some Carbon (activated) to remove any toxins, and continue water changes. It's either going to get better - or not. Especially since you seem so against water testing. If an anemone melted - your nitrates (not to mention ammonia) could be/have been sky high.

OP
OP
joefishtank

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not responding well to the toxins of the anemone, fairly common to see after something like that. Ive had an anemone get shredded by a powerhead before, definitely ticks off your tank. Large water changes are key. Took about 4 months to recover for me. Don't dip unless its completely necessary (brown jelly disease or some infection) I would just leave it be and let it recover. Also, I would be wary to use reef roids right now, until they fully recover, im not sure how much of the food they are actually eating due to trying to recover so thats just possibly raising your nitrates/phosphates with no benefit to your corals
Thanks for the advice but I've been over feeding this tank since I got it. Reef roids or zooplankton every other day for coral. Mysis and pellets for my fish. I wanted to test my tank stability so I went from 100% water changes a month to I only added new saltwater when I acclimated new live stock.

I paid close attention to algae growth since I don't test. I think I did technically get an algae bloom but I didn't have that much algae in the first place. There was like 100x more algae but after the initial bloom it started to grow at a normal rate. You can't really see any in the first post because I did such a good job cleaning it lol

After about a month I think my coral consumed too much parameters. I tossed in one of those sea chem calcium blocks and it lasted 4 days. Then I did 50% water change and everything looked so obviously better I think anyone could tell my numbers were bad.

That's why I'm not afraid of nitrates or phosphates I gave them the best chance to crash my tank and they didn't even come close.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not like most people. You should honestly consider me a crazy person. The amount of livestock I put into an unstable low tech nano tank as a beginner. How could I possibly make this tank any more difficult for myself? I only have a HOB filter, a heater, a light and a wave maker. I want more reefer experience.
OK - Since you asked for it - I don't know if you are a crazy person - but you're acting like one. The question you should be asking IMHO - is 'What caused my anemone to die in the first place?'. That could have been related to any one of a number of testable things.

The fact is - unfortunately for you - is that the methods you are using are basically from 40 years ago - they didn't work then - and they will not work now.

You can certainly do whatever you want - but what I find odd is coming to a forum, asking questions, then debating every answer - while stating yourself that what you're doing makes absolutely no sense. Again - I would start taking people's advice, and stop acting like there is any excuse for not treating living things properly. (comment based on your comment that you basically expect(ed) a total tank wipe out -which suggests to me you don't really care about the life in your tank.

OP
OP
joefishtank

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many possibilities that could have caused this - IMHO the LAST thing to do is a dip right now. Use some Carbon (activated) to remove any toxins, and continue water changes. It's either going to get better - or not. Especially since you seem so against water testing. If an anemone melted - your nitrates (not to mention ammonia) could be/have been sky high.
I'm not against testing I'm against testing right now since I don't think testing my water is going to help this specific coral at this time exact moment. I think its nem toxin at this point so activated carbon is good advice. More water changes is good advice. I think its common sense that a dead rotting corpse in my tank would increase pollutant. Does knowing the specific number help me do more water changes or go to the lfs to buy activated carbon? Usually when someone asks for advice and they don't give all the information I want I base my response on what information I they did provide. There was a post recently where someone was going through a tank crash. They posted their icp test and someone ignored the link they posted to tell them they cant help unless they post parameters.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sir I am 16 and got more logic than the nonsense you are saying. A nano would in no way in hell be on the scale of big tanks if you do not even do what the big tanks do.
. I think its nem toxin at this point
Did you not try to ask yourself why did the anemone die in the first place?
What exactly are you trying to prove with overstocking a tank and ignoring the basics of reefing?
You can get away with not testing as frequently after you can get familiar with your tank and be able to “read” your corals, however that is not possible from the very start.

OP
OP
joefishtank

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - Since you asked for it - I don't know if you are a crazy person - but you're acting like one. The question you should be asking IMHO - is 'What caused my anemone to die in the first place?'. That could have been related to any one of a number of testable things.

The fact is - unfortunately for you - is that the methods you are using are basically from 40 years ago - they didn't work then - and they will not work now.

You can certainly do whatever you want - but what I find odd is coming to a forum, asking questions, then debating every answer - while stating yourself that what you're doing makes absolutely no sense. Again - I would start taking people's advice, and stop acting like there is any excuse for not treating living things properly. (comment based on your comment that you basically expect(ed) a total tank wipe out -which suggests to me you don't really care about the life in your tank.
When I say I'm crazy that just a simple way to explain my different point of view. I don't think outside the box I understand that the box is just your minds way of limiting yourself from higher thinking.

I wasn't around 40 years ago, old man, so I wouldn't know anything about that. I guess I'm just going on a journey through the times. I'll run it like an automated hydroponic system eventually for now I'm doing how I'm doing it.

I asked a question that I wanted an answer for. Instead people just want me to do exactly what they do exactly how they do it.

I care more about the life in my tank more than some lfs owners. Dead live stock to them is just a tax write off. I try to save everything I can. In the real world things aren't a perfect fairy tale. Why would I have a mindset like this: "You see that unstable nano biosphere? It'll never crash and live forever because I run tests tee hee :3"

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not against testing I'm against testing right now since I don't think testing my water is going to help this specific coral at this time exact moment. I think its nem toxin at this point so activated carbon is good advice. More water changes is good advice. I think its common sense that a dead rotting corpse in my tank would increase pollutant. Does knowing the specific number help me do more water changes or go to the lfs to buy activated carbon? Usually when someone asks for advice and they don't give all the information I want I base my response on what information I they did provide. There was a post recently where someone was going through a tank crash. They posted their icp test and someone ignored the link they posted to tell them they cant help unless they post parameters.
The unfortunate thing is that an ICP test does not test for the parameters people are interested in. I have never done an ICP test.

OP
OP
joefishtank

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like you guys are living in this thread like I'm never going to change as a reefer. This is just a single moment for me. I think I should apologize for not conforming to all your beliefs I'll see myself out. I'm going to start an aquaponic system in my garden instead of discussing this any further. I already got my answer "nem poison activated carbon and more water changes"

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back