Tank crashed frogspawn not recovering

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I say I'm crazy that just a simple way to explain my different point of view. I don't think outside the box I understand that the box is just your minds way of limiting yourself from higher thinking.

I wasn't around 40 years ago, old man, so I wouldn't know anything about that. I guess I'm just going on a journey through the times. I'll run it like an automated hydroponic system eventually for now I'm doing how I'm doing it.

I asked a question that I wanted an answer for. Instead people just want me to do exactly what they do exactly how they do it.

I care more about the life in my tank more than some lfs owners. Dead live stock to them is just a tax write off. I try to save everything I can. In the real world things aren't a perfect fairy tale. Why would I have a mindset like this: "You see that unstable nano biosphere? It'll never crash and live forever because I run tests tee hee :3"
How are you showing that you care about the life of these animals when you literally say that you gave phosphates and nitrates their best chance to crash your tank, purposely overstocking a tank and not being interested about knowing the cause of your anemones death?
Testing helps you discover or avoid an upcoming issue that could cause what you are currently facing.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like you guys are living in this thread like I'm never going to change as a reefer. This is just a single moment for me. I think I should apologize for not conforming to all your beliefs I'll see myself out. I'm going to start an aquaponic system in my garden instead of discussing this any further. I already got my answer "nem poison activated carbon and more water changes"
then simply stop wasting your time and the time of others by Arguing with every valid recommendation given to you.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I say I'm crazy that just a simple way to explain my different point of view. I don't think outside the box I understand that the box is just your minds way of limiting yourself from higher thinking.

I wasn't around 40 years ago, old man, so I wouldn't know anything about that. I guess I'm just going on a journey through the times. I'll run it like an automated hydroponic system eventually for now I'm doing how I'm doing it.

I asked a question that I wanted an answer for. Instead people just want me to do exactly what they do exactly how they do it.

I care more about the life in my tank more than some lfs owners. Dead live stock to them is just a tax write off. I try to save everything I can. In the real world things aren't a perfect fairy tale. Why would I have a mindset like this: "You see that unstable nano biosphere? It'll never crash and live forever because I run tests tee hee :3"
I answered your question as to what to do for your coral in my first post back to you. It was the reading of your responses to people who were trying to help that led to my somewhat snarky post. As to your mindset - I don't believe I ever said that 1) you have an unstable biosphere, 2) that you should have the mindset that it will never crash because you run tests.

But - I think there is a fact that you're ignoring. I rarely test my tank - in fact I don't think I've tested anything in my tank for 5 months. I'm not pro testing - but - part of the reason I don't do it - is because I don't need to - because I have experience - i.e. I know when my coral does xxx thats its probably yyy - because I have tested in the past. It's only my opinion - but testing HELPS you gain experience. For example you could say 'well, I know it's not ammonia or nitrate because I tested those things'.

I agree with you - that large water changes will help - and yes - testing will help you to determine when to stop (which will save money). I'm not talking about ICP testing - I'm talking about a cheap general kit. Without it - (and this is a direct answer to your original question) - you will likely not succeed with hard corals (or anemones). BTW - why exactly did the anemone die?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did another water change last night other coral showed even more improvement
5936A793-3621-498F-8C20-406B6AD29508.jpeg

The one I’m having an issue with is still not looking idealio
440FE345-BB44-4BC1-8BE6-D3C870412D41.jpeg
I think I should dip because I don’t think it’s a water quality issue I have hydrogen peroxide dipx and coralrx tbh I think I’m going to leave it until it develops an infection or some necrosis. I’m not experienced enough as a reefer to risk stressing it more. I’m experienced enough as a cultivator to know where my knowledge ends and I need outside help.
OK - so don't dip it:). Do you think it developed some kind of coral disease? What is the rationale for dipping. It's obviously a water control issue - due to the fact that water changes are improving your other corals (isn't that the reason you're doing them)? My 'old man' philosophy is that you only do something for a specific reason. It's common sense to think that when all your corals start to recede - after an anemone dies - that large water changes makes sense. There is IMHO - no reason to do any kind of 'dip' - it's likely to stress the coral more. Be patient.

OP
OP
joefishtank

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made this video to make you mad

Can you please explain in simple terms why this is bad. Imagine I'm a beginner reefer and I want all the nutrients to go into my tank. In nature it doesn't get rinsed. I did 200% in water changes this week, and I'm still going to do my weekly water change on schedule.

OP
OP
joefishtank

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added activated carbon on Sunday and the frogspawn got worse so I took the carbon out today.
2508EDCF-D1EA-4E57-A2BC-40FB911A7D92.jpeg

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there’s nothing wrong with experimenting to learn things but don’t expect anyone to be able to help you when something goes wrong. It kind of leaves you on your own. People around here hate it if you don’t do things exactly how they see fit because that’s the way they know how to do it. I also disagree that freshwater experience means nothing to saltwater. They can be very similar. A freshwater planted tank is way harder imo. So anyway. My advice would be to cut back on the feeding a lot. Coral doesn’t need as much food as you think and over feeding will just cause problems. Recovering a coral is way harder than keeping a coral healthy and a recovering coral needs a really healthy stable environment. Once hammers and torches start going south it is really hard to save them. Best of luck to you.

OP
OP
joefishtank

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only still asking for advice because I feel slighted. I assumed a bunch of people were going to tell me this was because I don't test parameters. I have no idea why this coral is dying again so I was maybe hoping one of these pretentious reefers could tell me with 100% certainty how to save this living animal. I think I'll peroxide dip unless someone wants to give me a different opinion.

OP
OP
joefishtank

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the four frags I lost I think I did pretty well for my first tank crash.
Tongan hammer looking thick:

I didn't lose any fish and the ruby red dragonet is my favorite:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back