Tank cycling and animal stress - what stores push vs whats right

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in northern Europe - we get our LR through shipping with no water - shipping time around 48 hours. But the cruelty is not as serve as it sounds like. Most of these animals can breathe through gills or body if the only are wet or damp. The thin water layers with a huge area will make oxygen diffuse into the animal during the whole transport – therefor they are often wrapped with wet pages from newspapers. I have open a lot of these boxes and no dead animals at all (48 H transport) – only a few have smell death - but there is a possibility (and reality sometimes) that things goes wrong.

However – I would normally not put these stones in tanks with no functional nitrification cycle. I can put this in tanks that I start with my method because I know that the nitrification cycle will slowly have been started after 1 – 2 week when dead organic at theses rocks will start to rotten - there is my personal limit

Sincerely Lasse

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back