Tank Disaster

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my tank is little over a month old and and I used some live sand and bacteria to try to cycle it. About last week I tested the water and it was fine. However, I tested the water today and the parameters were: PH 8.4, Ammonia 2.0ppm, Nitrite .50ppm, and Nitrate 10ppm. My I placed in my Xenia last week and and it all fine until today. Right now, it's skinny and shriveled up a bit with little to no movement. What can I do to fix my parameters quick? I already did a 25% water change and added some Seachem Prime to detoxify the ammonia. Currently I have one clownfish who is very lively and a couple of blue leg hermits. Also, brown algae or diatoms I think have suddenly started appearing.

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is causing an ammonia spike if you only have a leather coral? Those are pretty typical cycle parameters....but the ammonia is off if not dosing. Or have something dead in there.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime was the best thing you could do at this point. You need to wait until pothole your ammonia and nitrite are zero before adding anything else. Both are toxic to fish and corals.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would adding more bacteria like BioSpira help? Along with more water changes? I haven't dosed anything either. I just used the API Saltwater Master Testing Kit.

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would adding more bacteria like BioSpira help? Along with more water changes? I haven't dosed anything either. I just used the API Saltwater Master Testing Kit.

Were you at 0 ammonia before? Did you make sure your tank can cycle ammonia? Usually we recommend raising ammonia and seeing if your tank can clear 1-2ppm in 24 hours before adding anything. Ammonia will kill your creatures. Thats generally the sign your tank is cycled.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t used the product you mention but I have used ATM colony (it may be similar) several times and that will certainly work. I think they do a similar job

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested about last week ago and there wasn't any. So I thought my tank was cycled. However, I just only tested for ammonia and nothing else. I thought that having 0 meant everything was fine.

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested about last week ago and there wasn't any. So I thought my tank was cycled. However, I just only tested for ammonia and nothing else. I thought that having 0 meant everything was fine.

You want to verify like I mentioned above. At this point do small water changes each day. Adding biospira or something similar wont hurt and follow the directions on the bottle (of whatever you add). And hope for the best.

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tough spot. Because you don't really want to change water during a cycle but since you have fish and there is ammonia present. Dunno. See what others say too.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats a smart way to verify, thank you. I got most my info from youtube and I haven't heard of that method before.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would API quickstart work as well? It says that it allows the instant addition of fish but that seems a little off.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what do I do about those diatoms. I think thats what it is at least.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back