tank drilling ???????

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i got me some diamond dust hole saw bits and im wanting to know what the best kind of drill to use is. im guessing a variable speed somethign you can control easily. but is it better to go with a coordless or a wired so you dont have to worry about the battery dien on your in the middle of it. i know not to apply a lot of pressure and to use water to keep cool. i have seen it done several times but i wanna do it myself now and i got a few people wanting me to drill there tanks. but im gonna do my own first just want a little advice first before i shatter a couple tanks lol.

Breakin Newz

WINNING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i got me some diamond dust hole saw bits and im wanting to know what the best kind of drill to use is. im guessing a variable speed somethign you can control easily. but is it better to go with a coordless or a wired so you dont have to worry about the battery dien on your in the middle of it. i know not to apply a lot of pressure and to use water to keep cool. i have seen it done several times but i wanna do it myself now and i got a few people wanting me to drill there tanks. but im gonna do my own first just want a little advice first before i shatter a couple tanks lol.

Its simple, use a drill with a clutch, torque on lowest setting.... You will do fine, I drilled one of my tanks full of water once! Cake!

I used a cordless and would also recommend a cordless...

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled a couple holes in my tank over the summer and found that water does more than just keep the bit cool. It also rinses the glass dust away from the bit. Every few minutes, I could tell that the bit was not advancing as quickly. After a blast from the garden hose, everything was easy again.

As for speed, you'll get the best results from running the drill as fast as it'll go. I managed to keep from chipping the edges by pressing the bit very lightly against the glass at the beginning and at the end of the drilling. The rest of the time, I just used the weight of the drill to do the work.

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use duct tape on the back of the glass I am drilling. The drill usually will not go through it so the tape keeps the lubricating water in place until you are done plus it holds the hole slug so it doesnt fall and hit the tank.

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the tank on its side and duct tape a hose to the tank with a slow flow running across the "hole" continuously. This keeps the bit cool and continuously flushes the dust away. So far in my pursuits I have had one failure and 22 successes. The failure was a 10G that I was putting two side-by-side 1" bulkheads on the narrow side of. The second hole cracked. Second attempt worked fine.

I'm drilling another 10G day after tomorrow!

benjabba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use duct tape on the back of the glass I am drilling. The drill usually will not go through it so the tape keeps the lubricating water in place until you are done plus it holds the hole slug so it doesnt fall and hit the tank.

I have done this many times with success aswell.

OP
OP
_Alex_

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I was planning to use duct tape, and a guide board to keep from sliding on the glass.

I have watched it done a few times but advice is always a good thing.

Thanks All

Tin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure that the diamond dust drill bit is not dull. I had a friend that used an old drill bit and it snap the glass Abilene was drilling it.

Mr E Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use a cordless drill and take some plumbers putty and make a donut around the position where the hole will be, this will hold your water in place. The duct tape is a great idea! i wish i had used that to keep the water from draining out near the end :)

cichlidtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just drilled my first tank a couple months ago and put the tank on its side and just filled up to the lip with water. I also used the duct tap on the opposite side, this keeps the water from running out when one side of the holes breaks through first. I did use a guide to get the holes started and then removed and drilled away. Here's a pic and good luck, its not that bad just take your time.

100910-6.jpg

OP
OP
_Alex_

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just drilled my first tank a couple months ago and put the tank on its side and just filled up to the lip with water. I also used the duct tap on the opposite side, this keeps the water from running out when one side of the holes breaks through first. I did use a guide to get the holes started and then removed and drilled away. Here's a pic and good luck, its not that bad just take your time.

100910-6.jpg

that looks exactly like my guide that im planning to make!! thanks! it will be a few weeks before i do my first one want to get my 75 finished set up and then planning to drill the wife a 20g with 10g fuge so she can have her own little reef. hope all goes well got a few people from my local club wanting holes drilled after first of the year! so hopefully nothing breaks!! haha :neutral:

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 like the other said cordless drill with a fully charged battery, a guide template to get you started, or you can use a drill guide at sears. Then thick packaging tape on the opposite site (few layers) to hold the slug in. and water to rinse. Now you're ready to go! Goodluck!

OP
OP
_Alex_

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i got the tank all drilled and it went very well! was easy i made a guide out of peice of plywood and it worked great!

2010-12-26170355.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back