Tank has gone downhill! Please help!!

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melting away too points to either salinity ir lighting. Regarding your readings, i used two refracts that were calibrated and a digital unit which all indicated. 1.023-1.024.
Water sample to LFS WAS 1.031. I used calibration solution by brightwell
Agreed I’ve melted lps And zoa with high salinity from wrong refractometer. 1.040 : )
but 3 separate devices all reading the same and low that’s pretty crazy, did you change calibration fluids after that?

I have a hydrometer just to double check every now and then I think they don’t get enough love nice and simple mechanism

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d check the calibration fluid too. I had a bad batch about a year ago. It was actually 1.031. Caused me to lose a lot of sps before I realized the issue. Wouldn’t really explain the sudden downturn I guess though.

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d check the calibration fluid too. I had a bad batch about a year ago. It was actually 1.031. Caused me to lose a lot of sps before I realized the issue. Wouldn’t really explain the sudden downturn I guess though.
If you calibrated a refractometer with rodi water how off would it be? I do have a hygrometer somewhere. I'll definitely drag it out tonight!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you calibrated a refractometer with rodi water how off would it be? I do have a hygrometer somewhere. I'll definitely drag it out tonight!

not the ideal way to calibrate your refractometer, best to calibrate it to 35 ppm for a more accurate reading.. you can make your own solution if you have an accurate scale, mix 1.55 grams iodized salt with 40.25 grams of distilled water and bring to 78 degrees For best results.

7C43CE01-8BF2-48C9-A3C3-97033E5DED2A.png

62958DDB-EEFB-4E9D-BCC3-0A24B95DFA73.png

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Retro, thanks for the correct ratio, this will help a lot for everyone. (Reloding hobby too?)

What are you storing your WC water in? Any metal handles around?

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not the ideal way to calibrate your refractometer, best to calibrate it to 35 ppm for a more accurate reading.. you can make your own solution if you have an accurate scale, mix 1.55 grams iodized salt with 40.25 grams of distilled water and bring to 78 degrees For best results.

7C43CE01-8BF2-48C9-A3C3-97033E5DED2A.png

62958DDB-EEFB-4E9D-BCC3-0A24B95DFA73.png
I have that exact scale! Lol
I know rodi is not the right way to calibrate but was just wondering in the case that my brs solution is bad.
Does calibration solution too bad over time? Cuz I've been using it for a good while with no previous problems.

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Retro, thanks for the correct ratio, this will help a lot for everyone. (Reloding hobby too?)

What are you storing your WC water in? Any metal handles around?
No i use a trash can. And just did a thorough cleaning on it in case for contaminates

CoralBuddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a rollback in your mind, what have you changed? Even in the slightest. Test your params, test again, address.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that exact scale! Lol
I know rodi is not the right way to calibrate but was just wondering in the case that my brs solution is bad.
Does calibration solution too bad over time? Cuz I've been using it for a good while with no previous problems.

depending on age and how it was stored I imagine it would.

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a rollback in your mind, what have you changed? Even in the slightest. Test your params, test again, address.
I have been checking and changing everything I can think of. I use pillow stuffing from Walmart as filter floss, took that out and added aquarium filter padding in case the stuffing was contaminated.
Also checked for stray voltage. Had about 6 volts in the tank so I bought a grounding probe. Now theret is 0 volts but everything is still mad.
Only thing I can think of is an ammonia spike when the skimmer overflowed. But I would think with all the rock in the display any ammonia would be processed by now. Plus I've been doing water changes. Unfortunately I don't have an ammonia test so I'll have to wait for icp test results. What's really weird to me is most corals are mad, but not all. Anemones are mad but cleaner shrimp is fine.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably about 6 months old and stored in my cabinet.

there is really no way of knowing if it’s bad unless you have something to compare it too.. Maybe see if your LFS will compare it to their readings or make your own solution for some redundancy.

BTW.. I have seen many examples of commercial calibration solutions being incorrect right out of the box so it’s worth comparing as many examples as possible.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use pillow stuffing from Walmart as filter floss, took that out and added aquarium filter padding in case the stuffing was contaminated.

I have used Walmart floss for years with zero issues. the one I use has no fire retardants and is made in the USA, a lot of times I don’t even rinse it.

4E274625-24C0-4491-8480-241FD5E92AEE.png

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Walmart floss for years with zero issues. the one I use has no fire retardants and is made in the USA, a lot of times I don’t even rinse it.

4E274625-24C0-4491-8480-241FD5E92AEE.png
I use similar and have been for many years as well. But my current bag is fairly new so I was just trying to check all my boxes. Most likely it's want the culprit. I'm sure icp will shed light but it sucks to have to wait another week!

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is really no way of knowing if it’s bad unless you have something to compare it too.. Maybe see if your LFS will compare it to their readings or make your own solution for some redundancy.

BTW.. I have seen many examples of commercial calibration solutions being incorrect right out of the box so it’s worth comparing as many examples as possible.
I will definitely try making my own. I don't trust fish stores around me as they are the big box commercial stores. The closest trustworthy lfs is over an hour away.

donut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until ICP test comes back go into what I call "Precautionary Damage Control" Run lots of carbon, do a LARGE water change, and most importantly keep everything stable. Check parameters every day, make sure to dose a dechlorinator, and try and get your skimmer tuned up. If you need any other help LMK my inbox is always open. Good luck!

Cheers,
Aiden

CoralBuddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait for ICP to come back so you can probably address it. Do not rush it. Nothing happens fast in this hobby but problems.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back