Tank is currently going through the uglies.. anything I can do?

OP
OP
Dad2Wyatt

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update to everyone who had input here:

Ive been trying y’all’s recommendations one at a time trying to see what works for my tank. I added an emerald crab, an astrea, and a turbo snail yesterday. Came home today and my glass is still super green, however after removing some gunk I noticed that the turbo snail WENT HARD overnight and today. The areas where I manually removed a bunch are almost completely free of hair algae and the areas that I didn’t get to seem a little better but not worse! Still waiting to find an urchin here locally, but I’m starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel!

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update to everyone who had input here:

Ive been trying y’all’s recommendations one at a time trying to see what works for my tank. I added an emerald crab, an astrea, and a turbo snail yesterday. Came home today and my glass is still super green, however after removing some gunk I noticed that the turbo snail WENT HARD overnight and today. The areas where I manually removed a bunch are almost completely free of hair algae and the areas that I didn’t get to seem a little better but not worse! Still waiting to find an urchin here locally, but I’m starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel!
You can look at dosing h2o2 directly to the tank. It will help knock back the new growth and start to eat away at the stuff that is already there. I’ll look and see if I can find what I did but I think it’s something like 1ml of 3% per 25g of water a couple times a day. Combined with water changes to remove excess nutrients and manual removal of excess algae it worked for me on one of my old tanks that was in a similar position.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back