Tank is currently going through the uglies.. anything I can do?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until you get your phosphate up you're going to have issues. I had same problems as you at 4 months. My nitrate and phosphate bottomed out. Once I got those numbers up the tank cleared and corals were very happy. I clean glass once a week now. At almost 9 months, have moderate GHA but good cleaner crew and coraline forming so it should out compete the GHA. At 4 months your tank is not to bad at all. Try and stabilize those numbers and avoid dumping chemicals in to fix everything. It just throws off all balance.

OP
OP
Dad2Wyatt

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until you get your phosphate up you're going to have issues. I had same problems as you at 4 months. My nitrate and phosphate bottomed out. Once I got those numbers up the tank cleared and corals were very happy. I clean glass once a week now. At almost 9 months, have moderate GHA but good cleaner crew and coraline forming so it should out compete the GHA. At 4 months your tank is not to bad at all. Try and stabilize those numbers and avoid dumping chemicals in to fix everything. It just throws off all balance.
What do you run your phosphates at? Don’t want to have them too high and harm corals!

also this is the lowest my nitrates have been. I got them in the 10-20 range last water change so im assuming the algae growth is continuing to lower them at this point

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're only on month 4 so the ugliest will be off and on for 8 more months. Try and keep a natural approach and not fall back to chemicals to fix problems. It only creates more problems. Nothing in this hobby happens fast. If you make an adjustment it may take months before you see the results. Stay the course, focus on consistent parameters.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As much as I hate to say, you are preparing to chase numbers and anything else to reverse this which is a no no. There is algae and diatoms. Siohoning is perfectly ok.
What you can do is siphon - clean glass as needed-reduce white light intensity- add liquid bacteria such as Bacter XLM at 1.5ml per 10 gals during the day for 7-10 days.
Add a few snails such as:
astrea
turbo
cerith
nassarius
Chiton

Emerals crab female may help also with bubble.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I hate to say, you are preparing to chase numbers and anything else to reverse this which is a no no. There is algae and diatoms. Siohoning is perfectly ok.
What you can do is siphon - clean glass as needed-reduce white light intensity- add liquid bacteria such as Bacter XLM at 1.5ml per 10 gals during the day for 7-10 days.
Add a few snails such as:
astrea
turbo
cerith
nassarius
Chiton

Emerals crab female may help also with bubble.
How do you know a female emerald versus a male?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know a female emerald versus a male?

I had my LFS pick them up and hold their bottoms to the glass.

Wider+abdomen+is+female.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: after I got done ranting I cleaned my glass and my water is actually a bit cloudy today(was clear before bed last night) could 0 phosphates have something to do with that? Also any phosphate tests you recommend?
Hanna phosphorus checker works best for me, but I do usually have .01 to .04. I find it to be more reliable and consistent in the ultra low range.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
thanks all!
think I’m going to add a few more snails, and an emerald crab or two, get a better phosphorus tester, and just focus on scrubbing and siphoning and reap benefits down the line!
My sump looks like a red cyano , algae growing , tank. But I’m going to let it do it’s thing only few months in

dk2nt9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a group of videos by Tidal Gardens about how they dealt with "ugly phase" in their tanks.

Reef chemistry section has a lot of information about consequences of having no detectable (at Salifert tests sensitivity) phosphates. Too high (detectable at API tests sensitivity) and you can fuel algae.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back