Tank location, will it hold?

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 75 gallon tank plus 20 gallon sump in my kitchen right now. And it's fine. But it's in the kitchen, not in my living room...

Ergo, it needs to go to the living room. Problem1. 2x10 joists doubled (to keep the house listed as a renovation vs rebuild, albeit it is a rebuild minus the floor joists). Foundation walls are cinder block. 24 inch centers.

Problem 2. The joists run parallel to proposed location. Would blocking be enough to hold the weight of the tank? Or do I need a support beam underneath plus blocking, and an inspector to sign off? Trying not to get the county involved for stupid fees...
To lessen the load the sump portion which is slated to be upgraded to 40 gallon breeder from the 20 currently in the stand.

One day I'd like to get a 180g because the sailfin will get big, but it's a few years off I hope and 2000lb later. In the meantime...

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am of the opinion that for a 20 gallon tank ( even with a 40 gallon sump) there will be nothing that you need to do support wise for moving you tank.

When you upgrade you tank it would most likely be a good idea to add additional supports to the floor.

OP
OP
Llyod276

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am of the opinion that for a 20 gallon tank ( even with a 40 gallon sump) there will be nothing that you need to do support wise for moving you tank.

When you upgrade you tank it would most likely be a good idea to add additional supports to the floor.
You misread that, the current tank is a 75g WITH a 20g sump. The plan is to avoid putting in beams unless neccessary. Blocking would be the easiest and least expensive. The 40g sump will hopefully be in the basement underneath with the rodi and top off on demand.

OP
OP
Llyod276

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perpendicular to load bearing wall parallel to a non load bearing wall. But I just discovered adjustable shoring beams!!! Now if I can justify the cost of a 180g, 3x $600 lights, a $600 skimmer, a $400 return pump. My 75g would prolly become the sump at that point. But its drilled. So bulk head plug?

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes you feel better, ad blocking. You can even pick up jack post at HD for $70 or so. Hey, if it helps you sleep at night, it's worth it!

OP
OP
Llyod276

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah this would make life easier considering how much time I spend underneath the dang thing. And I wouldn't have to lug water upstairs.

Back