(Tank Move and 8 week Update) 10g Nano, TBS live rock, live sand, hitchhikers, CUC (Original TBS Package)

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Tank Move and 8 week update posted in replies, July 30th)

Greetings!

Doing a bit of an experiment. I will get into more details as to why I am doing this particular plan in future posts. For now, the short version is that I am starting a 10g nano tank as a QT/Observation tank for live rock, live sand, hermit crabs and snails from Tampa Bay Saltwater @LiverockRocks

Plan is to, in a few months, move the entire contents of this 10g tank into a 100-125g reef ready tank with sump to seed the sterile dry rock and sterile sand I will be putting into the larger tank. Then use the 10g tank as a QT/Observation tank for future additions to the larger tank.

On June 1st, I ordered the Original TBS Package for a 10g tank. Scheduled to pick up the first half of the order on Saturday, June 10th. I live in the Greater Tampa Bay Area, so will do local pick up. ‘Tis my understanding that there will be two pickup times, the first one will be the live sand and base live rock with minimal visible growth in it. Then a week later the premium live rock with all sorts of visible growth on it along with the snails and crabs. Looking forward to that!

I will not be adding anything to cycle the tank other than the contents from the Original TBS Package, and food for the crabs. I will of course be monitoring the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and maybe pH and alkalinity.

Equipment and stuff: very basic at this point
  • 10g Top Fin Essentials Aquarium Starter Kit and their stand for it. From PetSmart
  • The above kit has an HOB filter, heater, thermometer, lid with super basic LED light, net, and a few odds and ends.
  • Hikari Crab Cuisine
  • Freeze dried mysis shrimp
  • RedSea Marine Care Test Kit
  • LED Refractometer for Reading Salinity with Calibration Fluid
  • Rubber gloves
  • RODI Fresh Water and premixed red sea salt RODI water from LFS (supposedly guaranteed 0TDS)
  • Python siphon
  • Buckets
  • I’m sure there will be more stuff, will update list accordingly
I will take pictures of what I’ve got so far and new pictures when stuff comes in.

Most Up To Date Pic 07/24/2023 (7 weeks old): see below for more
IMG_1760.jpeg

See ya around!

Day 1 for reference IMG_0950.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CallMeChris

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should mention that while I have some limited past experience with freshwater, this is my first foray into salt.

Waiting on stand and other items, but here’s what I’ve got so far.
IMG_0785.jpeg
IMG_0792.jpeg
IMG_0789.jpeg
IMG_0788.jpeg
IMG_0791.jpeg
IMG_0790.jpeg
IMG_0786.jpeg
IMG_0787.jpeg

OP
OP
CallMeChris

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed the tank heater. The indicator for temp setting is very vague lol. Guess that’s where a thermometer comes in.

My testing kits came in today too! Will post test results later.

On a side note, my in laws were robbed yesterday so I’ve been spending most of my time over there helping them deal with the aftermath. They are fine, the cat is fine, just stuff missing.

IMG_0813.jpeg
IMG_0811.jpeg
IMG_0810.jpeg

OP
OP
CallMeChris

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the nano mag float. Installed the thermometer, bang on 78F. Tested a bunch of parameters. 5 days in with RODI RedSea saltwater running with HOB filter, wave maker and heater running. So far, No dosing, no ghost feeding, no fish, no rock, no sand, just water.

Tomorrow, picking up TSB package with live rock and live sand! Excited :)

IMG_0822.jpeg
IMG_0824.jpeg

OP
OP
CallMeChris

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up the live sand and live base rock today from @LiverockRocks TBS! Picking up the premium live rocks in about a week.

Here’s some unboxing and installation pics, and a couple hitchhikers. I also caught one gorilla crab, the only “pest” so far but will keep an eyes out.

IMG_0832.jpeg
IMG_0833.jpeg
IMG_0834.jpeg
IMG_0835.jpeg
IMG_0836.jpeg
IMG_0837.jpeg
IMG_0839.jpeg
IMG_0841.jpeg
IMG_0842.jpeg
IMG_0848.jpeg
IMG_0850.jpeg
IMG_0851.jpeg

OP
OP
CallMeChris

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three days after introducing live sand and live rock, the tank is cycled :) only feeding was 4 or 5 small pellets a day of the sinking crustaceans food the past two days.

Scheduled to pickup the premium live rock, blue legged hermit crabs and more snails this Saturday afternoon, fun times!

IMG_0919.jpg

OP
OP
CallMeChris

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One week in update. Initial ammonia cycle appears to be done. Every day I see new cool stuff on the rocks. Don’t know what they are half the time, but cool :D

Picking up some premium live rock this afternoon from @LiverockRocks So wanted to do some before and after pics and testing.

IMG_0950.jpeg
IMG_0951.jpeg
IMG_0952.jpeg
IMG_0949.jpeg

New Unidentified critters/Algae: (it’s snail eggs!)
IMG_0960.jpeg

Feather duster? (It’s a micro brittle star!)

IMG_0965.jpg

Last edited:

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One week in update. Initial ammonia cycle appears to be done. Every day I see new cool stuff on the rocks. Don’t know what they are half the time, but cool :D

Picking up some premium live rock this afternoon from @LiverockRocks So wanted to do some before and after pics and testing.

IMG_0950.jpeg
IMG_0951.jpeg
IMG_0952.jpeg
IMG_0949.jpeg

New Unidentified critters/Algae:
IMG_0960.jpeg

Feather duster?

IMG_0965.jpg

Looks like a brittle star to me

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back