(Tank Move and 8 week Update) 10g Nano, TBS live rock, live sand, hitchhikers, CUC (Original TBS Package)

OP
OP
CallMeChris

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0974.jpeg

Snack for later? Do they eat snail eggs? Guess we will find out!

razorskiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool stuff! I found a mantis shrimp, the same hidden cup corals, a spaghetti worm, and close to a dozen brittle stars in the pico kit I bought from TBS. Ended up starting a new species only tank for the mantis but it seems like I find something new at least once a week on these rocks....

OP
OP
CallMeChris

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed earlier this week that one of my hermit crabs had a broken shell. I bought some shells at hobby lobby (made sure they were not painted or coated in anyway), boiled them in RODI water and put some of them in last night. I was lucky enough to see him transfer to one of the new shells! Just happens, so cool. Here’s some pics; before, during, after. It’s happily climbing around on a rock as I type :)

IMG_0916.jpeg
IMG_0991.jpeg
IMG_0994.jpeg

IMG_0995.jpeg

OP
OP
CallMeChris

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool stuff! I found a mantis shrimp, the same hidden cup corals, a spaghetti worm, and close to a dozen brittle stars in the pico kit I bought from TBS. Ended up starting a new species only tank for the mantis but it seems like I find something new at least once a week on these rocks....
Mantis shrimp are cool! Think I have a spaghetti worm as well. Seeing more and more brittle stars.

OP
OP
CallMeChris

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 Weeks Old now.

IMG_1075.jpeg

No water changes so far, just topping off with fresh RODI as needed. Nitrates at 20, and holding.

IMG_1094.jpg

I’ve rinsed out the HOB mechanical filter (floss and carbon) in RODI Saltwater at the 2 week mark. That’s it far as filtering goes. Water looks great. No noticeable nuisance algae or pests.

Only feeding the hermit crabs 3 to 5 small pellets a day. At least 2 of them have switched shells to the new ones I provided. There are 4 of them that I know of, several snails and a lot of small brittle stars. A couple hidden cup coral mini-colonies, some very small macro algae growths, and I’m sure there is a ton of stuff I just haven’t seen. Seems like I notice something different every time I look in the tank.

IMG_1073.jpeg

IMG_1079.jpeg

There have been two egg laying events for the snails. I’ve seen one teeny tiny snail on the glass from time to time, so I guess not all of them were eaten :D

I think some of the brittle stars are using the barnacles as homes lol

IMG_1081.jpeg

Next major update will hopefully be this coming Saturday, July 1st. Scheduled to pick up 10lbs more rock, premium this time. Along with some blue legged hermits and some different snails and hopefully a red macro algae. This has been delayed due to weather and gulf conditions. Hopefully they can safely harvest this coming week.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Honestly with parameters like that you could probably cheat a little and toss in a coral or two. Looking forward to further updates.

OP
OP
CallMeChris

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Honestly with parameters like that you could probably cheat a little and toss in a coral or two. Looking forward to further updates.
Thanks! I’ve thought about it. Couple things holding me back. The addition of new live rock in a week from now with the potential of unwanted hitchhikers, and this is essentially a QT/Observation holding tank for live rock until I get my big tank set up in my new house. Closing on the house late July, so will be moving this 10g at that time (only 15 minutes away) then a few weeks after that I hope to have the new 120g tank setup and will be transferring almost everything in this tank over to that one.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’ve thought about it. Couple things holding me back. The addition of new live rock in a week from now with the potential of unwanted hitchhikers, and this is essentially a QT/Observation holding tank for live rock until I get my big tank set up in my new house. Closing on the house late July, so will be moving this 10g at that time (only 15 minutes away) then a few weeks after that I hope to have the new 120g tank setup and will be transferring almost everything in this tank over to that one.
I love hitchhikers in general myself. So far the only unwanteds I’ve had have been a few aiptasia and a couple majano nems. Picked up the 8 lb nano “treasure” pack myself for the 22 cube I recently put together. That and 10 lbs from Gulf Live Rock. Thought about sand but stayed with CaribSea. Wish I could fit a 120 but the LR was already taken by my 90 FW. Good luck on the move!

OP
OP
CallMeChris

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 Week Tank Update

Picked up the rest of my live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater @LiverockRocks today! The 2nd half of my Original TBS Package. Premium rock, Florida blue legged hermits, Florida astrea snails and some macro algae.

Keep in mind this tank is mostly an observation/isolation cycling tank. All of this rock and whatever critters I can catch will be going to the new 115g tank that will be set up in about 5 weeks. I mention this, cause the tank is quite crowded, lol.

IMG_1222.jpeg

IMG_1223.jpeg

IMG_1224.jpeg

IMG_1256.jpeg

IMG_1213.jpeg

IMG_1246.jpeg

IMG_1248.jpeg

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love the texture and red macros! This small tank is Rock'in for sure.

How about that clear water.
It is cool to see how quickly the water clears right after adding ocean rock.
At Reef-A-Palooza Orlando, we quickly assembled 4 small systems with the TBS Package and soon after the pumps fired up...BAM! crystal clear waters, no filters, no carbon, no uv. Pretty cool to see ocean live rock in action.

Thanks for being a great customer and wishing you great success with the upcoming 115.

OP
OP
CallMeChris

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the texture and red macros! This small tank is Rock'in for sure.

How about that clear water.
It is cool to see how quickly the water clears right after adding ocean rock.
At Reef-A-Palooza Orlando, we quickly assembled 4 small systems with the TBS Package and soon after the pumps fired up...BAM! crystal clear waters, no filters, no carbon, no uv. Pretty cool to see ocean live rock in action.

Thanks for being a great customer and wishing you great success with the upcoming 115.
Thanks! Loving the clear water, the cool rocks and critters, the colors and textures. Don't think it was ever cloudy, other than maybe slightly during the hour after installing sand or rocks.

OP
OP
CallMeChris

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More pics :D

Fleshy Limpit,cool!
IMG_1271.jpeg

Any ideas on this brown one? Encrusting coral of some sort? Tunicate?
IMG_1261.jpeg

Red Grapes (Botryocladia)
IMG_1315.jpeg

Caulerpa Mexicana​

and Astrea snail
IMG_1322.jpeg

Looks like it is in a mini-cycle, no surprise with all the new additions at once.

IMG_1328.png

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
More pics :D

Fleshy Limpit,cool!
IMG_1271.jpeg

Any ideas on this brown one? Encrusting coral of some sort? Tunicate?
IMG_1261.jpeg

Red Grapes (Botryocladia)
IMG_1315.jpeg

Caulerpa Mexicana​

and Astrea snail
IMG_1322.jpeg

Looks like it is in a mini-cycle, no surprise with all the new additions at once.

IMG_1328.png
Lookin good.
Could be a star coral, should have touch of fluorescent green.

OP
OP
CallMeChris

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More pics!

Isopod, any idea which one? (Been ID’d as a Cirolanid, pest)
IMG_1454.jpeg

Decorator Crab. Teeny, tiny, and cute
IMG_1433.jpeg

IMG_1441.jpeg

I call him King Hermie, likes to site on top of rocks and survey his kingdom. Reticulated Hermit

IMG_1340.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CallMeChris

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 Week Update

Been 5 weeks since the start of the tank and one week since doubling the live rock with an additional 10lbs of premium TBS rock and adding additional CUC. See above for more info on that.

Ammonia at 0, nitrite at near zero, Nitrate at 50+…even after a 1.5 gallon water change, still 50+. Everyone and everything in the tank seems to be doing fine, despite the high Nitrate reading. Going to do a diluted sample test tomorrow to try and get a more accurate nitrate reading, then maybe another water change.

Discovered a pest Isopod this week, see above for pic. Also discovered a crab molt with black claw tips, see below for pic. Not unexpected, exactly why the live rock/sand is in QT. Haven’t seen the actual crab, been checking at night off and on. Haven’t seen another isopod either, yet.

Current Full Tank Shot

IMG_1534.jpeg

Crab Molt
IMG_1378.jpeg

Limpet?
IMG_1550.jpeg

Red Grape
IMG_1315.jpeg

Astrea Snail doing its thing
IMG_1320.jpeg

Fleshy Limpet still going strong.
IMG_1395.jpeg

Found another whelk, baby this time. Sucked it up with a turkey baster
IMG_1478.jpeg

Cool Sponges?
IMG_1445.jpeg

OP
OP
CallMeChris

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some Nitrate testing using diluted samples. First test control of new saltwater, should be zero and it was. Second test was half and half, got close to 20, so real reading would be close to 40. Third test was one part tank water and 4 parts control water, got close to 10, so real reading would be close to 50. Using Red Sea test.

So, 40 to 50 on Nitrates. Will do another 1.5 gallon water change later today.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back