Tank on floating floor?

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning stages of a 180g system. Location planned is on newly installed waterproof laminate plank flooring (LVP). This flooring is placed directly over the concrete slab foundation of the house but is not glued in place (i.e. "floating").

Concerned about any negative impacts over time that 2000 lbs tank sittimg on 15 sqft will have either to the tank or to the floor. Rational concern or irrelevant worry?

For anyone with similar experience, what did you do to best prepare the installation area?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar flooring but over plywood with a basement. Just snap together laminant type flooring but water proof? I ran two 180 tanks in the same room for several years with no issues. I would think on concrete it would be even more solid as long as the slab is flat and somewhat level. I just set the tanks directly on the floor and leveled them.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen people that have made the area around their tank separate from main flooring with a gap and trim in between. Seen others do a tile area for their tank. Other than things like that I don't think there is much you can do to prepare if you putting your tank on the floating floor. It has the risk of causing floor to buckle and/or separate but depends on a lot of factors how much risk that really is. I have ran tanks on a floating floor without issue, but have also seen other who not been as lucky.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same lvp on concrete, not glued, not worried at sll

Ocean_View

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning stages of a 180g system. Location planned is on newly installed waterproof laminate plank flooring (LVP). This flooring is placed directly over the concrete slab foundation of the house but is not glued in place (i.e. "floating").

Concerned about any negative impacts over time that 2000 lbs tank sittimg on 15 sqft will have either to the tank or to the floor. Rational concern or irrelevant worry?

For anyone with similar experience, what did you do to best prepare the installation area?
I have same setup but with 320gal system and not have any issues as of date. It been up 10 months.

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a hardwood flooring business and install those floors all the time.
The only impact you will have is it will void the manufacturers warranty. Placing the tank on the floor makes the floor no longer floating. Floating floors work as one giant unit and need space to move as one contiguous unit. With the weight of the tank locking one section of flooring down if the floor tries to move the planks will separate where the tension is greatest.
If the floor is on a slab the chance of that happening is very slim, plywood subfloors shift all the time and that is where the floating floors really need to be able to move.
most likely nothing will happen just keep in mind that if you get any planks separating you won't be able to make a claim on the manufacturers warranty.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a hardwood flooring business and install those floors all the time.
The only impact you will have is it will void the manufacturers warranty. Placing the tank on the floor makes the floor no longer floating. Floating floors work as one giant unit and need space to move as one contiguous unit. With the weight of the tank locking one section of flooring down if the floor tries to move the planks will separate where the tension is greatest.
If the floor is on a slab the chance of that happening is very slim, plywood subfloors shift all the time and that is where the floating floors really need to be able to move.
most likely nothing will happen just keep in mind that if you get any planks separating you won't be able to make a claim on the manufacturers warranty.
Side question: On plywood subfloor with hardwood on top, when do you start to get worried about weight?

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weight is supported by the construction method and materials used to support the subfloor. Normal residential construction will typically support a 90-125 gal tank but this is a BIG generalization.
It helps to place the tank perpendicular to the floor joists, over or near a beam/bond, or along an outside wall supported by the footings.
I came across a great article on this topic some time ago, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back