tank promblems

don-coraleone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well it started when i looped a new 40 breeder into my 300 i added sand and rock to the tank like i normally do and it was cloudy. to be expected. the cloudyness hasnt gone away and for some reason my alk is through the roof its about 14.4 now but my calcium is only at 430. every coral died in the past 2 days the only thing thats doing alright is my fish. ive done 25% water changes 50% water changes and it wont go down. ive been adding vinegar and that wont bring it down. ive tested on three different test kits and they are all the same. what is keeping my alk so high??????and my nitrate and trite are undetectable i just dont know....

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you lost everything in your entire system? First off, sorry this is happening...that's really brutal. Was it a new bucket of salt? That's just a really really strange occurance and I don't even know exactly what to point at. I'd think chemical agent that was in teh rock or sand that nuked the tank, but that wouldn't necessarily explain the alk shooting up so high.

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The type of salt doesn't so much matter as whether you'd used any from the bucket before, or if it was a brand new bucket?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 62 75.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back