Tank randomly re-cycled

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was supposed to be my QT but I feel like never buying fish for my reef tank, it was an empty tank, but I cycled it anyway, I put some things in there, then no2 raised and dropped after a month, and the tank was just sitting. But yesterday I put some live animals and the tank just started cycling again I think, the nitrites raised to 0.5 ppm I'm kind of worried, what's going on?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was supposed to be my QT but I feel like never buying fish for my reef tank, it was an empty tank, but I cycled it anyway, I put some things in there, then no2 raised and dropped after a month, and the tank was just sitting. But yesterday I put some live animals and the tank just started cycling again I think, the nitrites raised to 0.5 ppm I'm kind of worried, what's going on?
This is what actually happens when you add more live stock.
Not a problem.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure ammonia and nitrAtes? NitrItes are not your best indicator.
I feel like nitrItes are my best indicator cuz my ammonia test never showed up bad so I don't know if it works and my nitrate test kit is messed up, I tested anyway and it came up with 25ppm NO3, I'll do ammonia now

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were these things? Looks like the new load has probably exceded the cycle load.

A good indicator of ammonia processing however, and one of the simple tests, that is really hard to mess up.
Agree about the testing of nitrites but I had crabs, live rock, anemones and some snails with barnacles so filter feeders, so I basically Transformed my QT into a normal tank

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back