Tank remodel going bigger. share advice

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making my 210 display bigger.

Removing bottom and sides. Going epoxy plywood bottom an that's final.
making sides 36 X 28.5 they were 24 X 28.5

Questions about top bracing. I will be removing the plastic top and supports so I need to come up with a new solution. I don't really like euro braces (glass around the edges). I'm thinking of keeping it the same with the braces on the top at 2 and 4 feet. I can have my friend make a custom top support out of aluminum as he is a fantastic fabricator and welder. Question about that if I use a heavier gauge flat sock could I do a small brace around the edges of the top or should I just go around the top. I would prefer the top with no braces but I know I can make them smaller than they are now because the metal is stronger than the plastic is. any thoughts???

Glass is tempered and is 1/2''

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have your friend make a frame brace exactly like the plastic one If you don't want euro braces. You can use flat stock aluminum for your braces at 2' and 4' and angle for the frame. I would not do without the center braces on 1/2" glass for that size tank. Also even though aluminum doesn't rust it still oxidizes. So I would epoxy all sides of it before siliconing in place
I'm actually going to be doing something similar in a couple of months. I have a 125 that needs resealed. I also have a set of top and bottom plastic braces off of a 210. So I'll be going plywood bottom and new sides adding 6" to it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would epoxy paint it for sure. My thoughts exactly for the top. I think I'm going to make the sides like the plastic one that's on there with it so it cups over the glass edge. The only thing I won't add is the lip for glass panels or lids.

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would epoxy paint it for sure. My thoughts exactly for the top. I think I'm going to make the sides like the plastic one that's on there with it so it cups over the glass edge. The only thing I won't add is the lip for glass panels or lids.

I'd probably do the bottom the same way just to be safe

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably do the bottom the same way just to be safe
The bottom won't need it. I'm going to make a frame with wood 1x1 around the perimeter of where the glass will sit. It will get coated with epoxy and will make a great place to add extra silicone for sealing the glass.

By the way I will be using pond shield or pond armor epoxy for the sealing of the ply and wood surfaces.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New and old estimated weights.
Now that's a difference. Hard to believe that my simple 2x4 stand held up so well. I'm going to rebuild the stand now. I'll still incorporate my old stand but make it into one stand. A 2x4 can hold a lot of weight.
IMG_2254.PNG
IMG_2255.PNG

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read up on weight capacities of 2x4's wow. Why would I buy a steel stand. If you paint the wood it won't wrought out. A vertical 2x4 is 4800psi.
I currently have 8 but I will expand my stand. Will post pictures of course as I go. I mean you can build a 3 story house with the load bearing walls made with 2x4's.

My current stand is attached directly to the wall studs in the wall behind the stand. It make sure there is zero movement.

Anyways I'm tired so who knows what I just typed. Going to bed past my bed time lol.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you use plywood as a replacement for a glass bottom? How do you seal it, bond the glass to it, and what kind of plywood do you use?

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you use plywood as a replacement for a glass bottom? How do you seal it, bond the glass to it, and what kind of plywood do you use?
You have to epoxy it. Silicone seals to the epoxy.

You use a sandi ply or smooth sanded plywood.

Look at monster fish keepers site. There are many big tanks and there are a few that are all plywood but the glass panel in the front.

I'm building min like the guy that did the 600+ tank with glass sides and plywood bottom.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to decide on final depth of the tank. If I go 48 inside depth it will be 404 gallon if I do 43'' then 370 gallon. Like the sound of 400+ lolIt is half inch glass and I will have a custom aluminum brace made for the top that will be epoxy painted.

Back