Tank / Sump plumbing

PNWReefer17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK...looking for a little constructive criticism here. First time plumbing a tank and sump. Does anyone see any glaring issues here aside from the missing 90° fitting coming off my return pump? I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!
cb6fd1e1419ddc6a8d49e6359f4c84b6.jpg
60d05df5c9575f83ce642b8bd9850525.jpg

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one overflow pipe is pretty long. If that is a full siphon, it might 'air-lock', which will prevent the siphon from restarting when the power cycles.

Also, did you take into account the siphon that will form from the return pump when it gets shut off? i.e. the sump can handle the amount of water in the pipes (all four of them), as well as what the return line will suck back in.

OP
OP
PNWReefer17

PNWReefer17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one overflow pipe is pretty long. If that is a full siphon, it might 'air-lock', which will prevent the siphon from restarting when the power cycles.

Also, did you take into account the siphon that will form from the return pump when it gets shut off? i.e. the sump can handle the amount of water in the pipes (all four of them), as well as what the return line will suck back in.
Which overflow pipe are you talking about? From left to right on the overflow box is main...emergency...secondary.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also add pipe hangers for all four pipes applied towards the top of the stand OR use wood attached to the top back side of the stand that now contacts the four pipes and use PVC conduit clamps.

David Mc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return in the center of the tank is likely to get little flow. They would if they were equal length.

It may not be what you are going for but I am putting it out there.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back