Tank Transfer, Insta Cycle and Nutrients

Jeffbear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't really seen the topic of nutrition levels in the new tank discussed before. My situation is I am transferring my 5 month old Fluval Flex 9 gallon with one fish, clean up crew and corals to a Red Sea Reefer 170 that's been running for a week to let the sump stabilize and to get familiar with the new equipment. I plan to transfer all live rocks filter media and livestock Saturday. I have just started adding Microbacter7 to the new system, along with a bottle of Fritz zyme 9 I had left over from setting up the small tank some months ago.
My question is would adding something like NeoNitro and NeoPhos (enough to match the current system) to the new system, along with some of the tank water from the small reef be beneficial? My thought is that matching the nutrient level of the waters would ease the transition along with using the acclimation mode on the Kessil Tuna Blue as it's a new light and a bit different than the current AI Prime they are under. The saltwater mix is the same salt, and the batch parameters are very similar numbers.
I don't plan on adding any new livestock for a few weeks and plan to continue dosing Microbacter7 weekly. My experience tells me as long as I don't over do the nutrients I shouldn't have a problem, but I'm not an expert. Any help or insight would be appreciated!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back