Tank upgrade in your future? Here are some tips for going bigger!

Do you have plans to have a bigger tank in the future?

• YES (tell us the size in the thread)

Votes: 370 55.1%
  • NO not at all

Votes: 141 21.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 139 20.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 21 3.1%

• Total voters

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but the thought of tearing my current system down and possibly losing coral or fish scares me. I've finally got things where I want them and don't want to mess it up (knock on wood). Plus it's a PITA removing all the equipment, livestock etc.

Mike A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a 120 gallon for a while now and always wanted to go bigger. Keep saying maybe to myself, one of these days….

bReefedBaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MOST of us at some point in time will go bigger or want to go bigger with our saltwater reef aquariums. When it comes to aquariums it's hard not to get sucked in to the belief that bigger is better. Is it better? Not always! That's why it's important to understand and plan before making the jump UP in gallons. So let's talk about it today!

1. When upgrading to a new tank what are some important things to plan for? Share a tip or two!

2. Do you have plans to go bigger and if so what size are you going up to?

Chingchai's 1000gal SPS Tank (Thailand)
dsc0582ps_zpsc3613336.jpg

Absolutely plan on getting a larger size aquarium!! I’m just getting into the hobby of reefing, I’m learning as much as I possibly can from veteran reefers now.

Currently working with a 40g to start.

I have to learn before I can upgrade to a larger aquarium. There’s so much to learn and I was always reminded to be patient. I can’t thank R2R enough for the help and threads here. I’ve obtained so much this far and it’s just the beginning. #happyreefing #r2r

beardog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going from a 120g to a 262g reef savvy tank. It was a rather impulsive buy and now I’m realizing how much more money I’ll have to spend in order to run this tank properly, larger powerheads, bigger return pump, new sump, more salt mix, new ato, bigger heaters, and I’m sure there’s more but oh well I’m already committed and looking forward to the build. Cheers

akleasure

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! We currently have the biggest tank we can have without reinforcing the floors, which is 150g. With a good bit of planning, I would love a bigger tank in the future.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plans for smaller tanks. I started off in the hobby with a 29G, then built a 20G, then six 10G, now a 5.5G rimless. My next one will be a 2.5G rimless. In total, I have about 120 to 130 gallons of saltwater tanks counting the QT and grow out tanks. Going bigger is more expensive, but going smaller is more of a challenge.

However eventually I do plan on building a Coldwater tidepool in the basement. I haven't decided the size yet. It will be quite large.

gizmodo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm coming from a humble tiny 20 gallon Nuvo AIO from IM. I'm planning to go up to a 30 or 40 gallon once my s/o and I find a new place.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running a standard 120 and a red sea max, thought why run both just get a larger tank. I self admit to having a short attention span and usually do things by diving head first. I read every article and write up on tanks of the size I wanted and briefly looked at equipment and such then just did it. The simple rule of $100/g certainly applies. The approx 300g tank volume has cost very close to $30k CDN. Number one thing, be prepared to spend, plan everything and review with others in the hobby as sometimes you go down a rabbit hole and don't see alternatives.

I will say that now it is almost done, things are much much easier, the daily auto water change - no more weekly buckets! Having 100g storage means for me about every 3 weeks I fill the tanks, add salt, mix, test it and forget about it. Trident testing gives me a good idea if what is going on, can easily adjust my dosing but I have not had too. Skimmer about every 3 days empty and clean, filter socks every 2 days. Carbon and gfo change 3/4 weeks.

I have a spare of everything, extra DOS, COR, power bar, ATO, heaters, MP wet sides x4, 1 dry side, spare LED fixture. To some that is excessive but a large tank typically means a large investment in the tank contents.

I used to think spending 2-300 on coral was lots and could see what I bought, not with a larger tank, doesn't help that coral prices are way up and people are calling what used to be a frag a colony.

I do love it!

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, the thread is about tips for going BIG. Everyone's hijacking the thread talking about their future dream tank size...

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36 bow front to 100g sca. I’ve been Upgrading for the past two years. Life and ecenomy have gotten in the way but now I’m just trying to finish the tank.

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have a beautiful 54-gallon corner tank for my seahorses and my husband has a CADE 57-gallon reef tank (not including the sump) he just started building at the beginning of the year. Both are great fun and really coming along, but once we move into our new home (in the next year or two) we'll definitely be getting at least one more tank. My hubby wants a CADE peninsula (probably the CADE S2P 1800 228 gallon) and I'm not picky at this point, so that's probably what we'll get. We love our tanks and can't wait to get more. We just don't have the room for any more where we live, which is why we have such small tanks as it is. Can't wait to add another build thread here!

AcanSkywalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MOST of us at some point in time will go bigger or want to go bigger with our saltwater reef aquariums. When it comes to aquariums it's hard not to get sucked in to the belief that bigger is better. Is it better? Not always! That's why it's important to understand and plan before making the jump UP in gallons. So let's talk about it today!

1. When upgrading to a new tank what are some important things to plan for? Share a tip or two!

2. Do you have plans to go bigger and if so what size are you going up to?

Chingchai's 1000gal SPS Tank (Thailand)
dsc0582ps_zpsc3613336.jpg
My plan is to stay at 48"L so I can still use my lights, return pump, and skimmer, while going deeper to 30"W and shorter to a 20"H. This would definitely my new tank so much easier to work on, plus give me plenty of room for aquascaping! (My current tank is acrylic and hard to work on with all the required top bracing!)
I really like the MODE 135 Infinity Series, unfortunately they seem to be in short supply and hard to come by here in the Midwest, I may just have to go custom
in-order to get something similar!

akleasure

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, the thread is about tips for going BIG. Everyone's hijacking the thread talking about their future dream tank size...
That's because we were prompted to do so. The question asked if we have plans to go bigger in the future and then told us to say the size in the thread.

DO YOU HAVE PLANS TO HAVE A BIGGER TANK IN THE FUTURE?​

• YES (tell us the size in the thread)​

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back