Tank Upgrade: What Would You Have Done Different?

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

As my 90 is getting overgrown, after discussing tank sizes with fellow members, I am planning to upgrade to a 125. I am still in my design phase, but should start the project very soon. As I am in the final planning stages... I am wondering what people would have done different about builds they have done. Im trying to get some last minute ideas before I start drilling, constructing the stand, sump, etc.

Thanks.

Dual40IM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get a tank that is too tall. My 220 is 31 inches tall which equates to armpit deep when you have to get to the sand, and that is from standing on a ladder not a stool. I also wish I would have made my stand a bit shorter. My advise is try to think of the little things that in the end make a big difference, cause once it is up and running it's too late.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have any pics of the stand/sump system? Im almost final with my sump/stand design, would love to see what youre running.

I have enough room for my sump/refugium and that’s about it. I wish I had made more room inside.

6076D5B4-7966-4B67-AAA1-743C10548EED.jpeg

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get a tank that is too tall. My 220 is 31 inches tall which equates to armpit deep when you have to get to the sand, and that is from standing on a ladder not a stool. I also wish I would have made my stand a bit shorter. My advise is try to think of the little things that in the end make a big difference, cause once it is up and running it's too late.

What is the height of your stand, wondering what the total height of your system is. Im planning to do a big stand as Im fitting a 55 sump and a frag tank underneath. This puts my stand at 41 inches tall (on paper) and the 125 is 23 inches tall. I was planning on making the stand tall to put the tank higher at eye level. Right now I have a 90 which I pretty tall, but after hearing this I get that concern.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would’ve made a larger stand so I could fit a large ATO tank in there for my 150G cube.
This, but make it taller (but not too tall that u'd need a step ladder to reach in tank) so there's more space to work and paint inside of stand white so it's brighter inside when working. Otherwise, if you have the space, put as big a sump as possible behind the wall of tank. I did this and made a world of difference when doing sump maintenance.

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, but make it taller (but not too tall that u'd need a step ladder to reach in tank) so there's more space to work and paint inside of stand white so it's brighter inside when working. Otherwise, if you have the space, put as big a sump as possible behind the wall of tank. I did this and made a world of difference when doing sump maintenance.

Painting the inside white is an interesting idea, never thought about that. And a big sump is always better, what size sump you run for what size tank?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the height of your stand, wondering what the total height of your system is. Im planning to do a big stand as Im fitting a 55 sump and a frag tank underneath. This puts my stand at 41 inches tall (on paper) and the 125 is 23 inches tall. I was planning on making the stand tall to put the tank higher at eye level. Right now I have a 90 which I pretty tall, but after hearing this I get that concern.

My stand is only 32’ tall. I did that because my tank is 31’ tall and didn’t want to need a ladder to get into it. It’s not completed yet,, I’m still finishing it up as the tank cycles.

9341A8CC-7D18-43D3-9DEF-8A542D024A3F.jpeg

54A9496C-030B-4DBC-A92E-5DDFC1B3D2FC.jpeg

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have done the following
1) bare bottom
2) largest sump possible, just for more water volume, and not having to worry about upgrading equipment if it will fit or not
3) like others said, large auto top off. One where I could fill it once a week or longer

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have done the following
1) bare bottom
2) largest sump possible, just for more water volume, and not having to worry about upgrading equipment if it will fit or not
3) like others said, large auto top off. One where I could fill it once a week or longer

What size is your ATO reservoir now? And what size is your tank?

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Painting the inside white is an interesting idea, never thought about that. And a big sump is always better, what size sump you run for what size tank?
yeah, I've seen others do this and makes a big difference. I converted a 29 gal tank to a sump connected behind the wall of a 93 cube after I got tired of working on my hands and knees barley reaching stuff in back of sump under the tank stand whenever doing sump maintenance.

Also adding a manifold to return pump was the best decision I made during sump upgrade/relocation to behind the wall. U can avoid cramped space by also adding doors to both sides of stand for easier access to sump area, i.e. doors in front, left and right.

In hindsight, I wish I'd upgraded to a bigger tank such as 120 or larger... wife won't let me upgrade anymore :(

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stand is only 32’ tall. I did that because my tank is 31’ tall and didn’t want to need a ladder to get into it. It’s not completed yet,, I’m still finishing it up as the tank cycles.

9341A8CC-7D18-43D3-9DEF-8A542D024A3F.jpeg

54A9496C-030B-4DBC-A92E-5DDFC1B3D2FC.jpeg

Nice, that puts you at 60 ish inches which is good. If my stand is 41 and the tank is 23, puts me right about the same height. Im 6ft tall so I think i should be good to reach the bottom.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your ATO reservoir now? And what size is your tank?

ATO is a 5g bucket, realistically it gets filled with probably 4g at a time. The tank is a 190g Deep Sea Aquatics tank, 60x 27x 27. The only thing that cuts down on the ATO refills is that I use glass lids on the tank. I only have LPS and softy in it, so enough light still gets through.

If I were to set it up again I would make sure I have enough room for at least a 10g top off container.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, that puts you at 60 ish inches which is good. If my stand is 41 and the tank is 23, puts me right about the same height. Im 6ft tall so I think i should be good to reach the bottom.

Yes and I’m 6’5

Zohar78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cube tanks seem to be awesome for tank, but not so much for stand to hide equipment in.

also 90 to 120 isnt much more, have you thought about maybe going a little bigger to a 150?

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO is a 5g bucket, realistically it gets filled with probably 4g at a time. The tank is a 190g Deep Sea Aquatics tank, 60x 27x 27. The only thing that cuts down on the ATO refills is that I use glass lids on the tank. I only have LPS and softy in it, so enough light still gets through.

If I were to set it up again I would make sure I have enough room for at least a 10g top off container.

Sounds good, what ATO system do you use? Tunze?

jschlem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at getting a bigger tank. 90-125 is not a huge difference. Look at a 180. That 6 more inches in depth makes a huge difference. Opens up a lot of options. Most of the equipment is the same. My only complaint going from my 93 to 180 is my overflow choice.

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cube tanks seem to be awesome for tank, but not so much for stand to hide equipment in.

also 90 to 120 isnt much more, have you thought about maybe going a little bigger to a 150?

So a 150 is the same footprint as a 125, just taller. Id love to send on a 180, but dont have the space. Im thinking a 125 because the wall it will go against is 78 inches, which will accommodate the 125 (72 inches) well. Im not heavy on fish, mostly coral, so the depth isnt really a concern either, the 125 seems to fit my needs, more space, ample viewing room.

But i get what youre saying, bigger is always better:rolleyes:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back