Tank Upgrades

David J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to reefing, My tank is cycling atm. But as im not on a budget what are some things you guys would maybe recommend. I have the Innovative Marine 25 gal lagoon. AI Prime light. The stock pump is terribly loud so im going to replace it with a sicce 1.5 when I do my first water change. I also have a Innovative Marine Skimmer.

Should I get some Media baskets instead of socks ? I plan on getting a auto top off system before I add in any life. Any recommendations ? Also a MP10 right now running just a cheapo wave maker.

Not sure what else I can add to make the tank more successful in the long run. Media Reactor ? some Bio Balls ... Let me know what you think.

2019-01-09 19.50.13.jpg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! I personally like socks, as far as a ATO, you really can't go wrong with a Tunze 3155 ATO unit, any holding vessel will do. Ecotech marine pumps are good. I recommend Sicce return pumps as I have 2 and they work great. Eventually I will be switching to a Apex COR pump as I like DC pumps and what they offer. If money is really no option look into getting a Apex unit for monitoring and controllability.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want inexpensive, autotopoff.com makes inexpensive top off systems and they work well.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Vario-4 DC return pump in my 75 gallon and you might want too look at that line of pumps. It has 5 speed settings so you could get a bigger than needed pump and turn it down so when you upgrade (and you will ;)) you will already be ahead of the game.

OP
OP
David J

David J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments guys, Yeah I have been looking at the Apex systems. Looks like they make a controller for the Mp10 which is probably the route I'm going to go down. I'll look at the auto topper. I know apex also makes a version that ties into the system. I have not bought the 1.5 return pump yet so I can look at the Vario-4 DC return pump. I like your idea. I'm already thinking down the road if I don't kill everything in the first 6 months I'll probably get another larger tank. I already have the Liquid gen 4 stage RO system. I did the math and its a logical choice. Pays for it self pretty quick and if I need to get water or have a jam I don't have to worry about if a store is open ect.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 142 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.0%
Back