Tank upgrades.

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I understand that there are other threads related to this post, however, this one pertains specifically to mine. So if its beneath you to answer please don't. Save yourself the aggravation.
Baseline 75g mixed Reed. No change to dt, yet maybe become 180 in a few years.
The current sump is under DT. It is being moved to the basement.
1. I'm redoing my sump/refugium from 20g to 40 gallons. Total water volume will increase hope fully by 25-30 gallons. This is the hopeful end result.
2. I'm goin to run a dual heater system because I dont trust the heater I have so I'll let it live out its life and have the new one as a spare/take over. Thoughts?
3. This is my headache, I've done the math and read the other forums and still I must ask: a) I bought a 1050gph pump hygger 915-4000. Will this pump be enough to push up 8 ft of water 3/4" from basement to dt? The pump advertises 13.1 ft head height. b) I also have 120v a/c magnum pump (currently in use), is it practical, should the other not be strong enough, to tie them in tandem via a y pipe? I would prolly upgrade from 3/4 to 1".
4. I plan on wrapping the sump assembly in an insulted blanket, any thoughts on this? Its normally 15-20 degrees colder down there.
5. Any advice to installing a ato to this system as a constant supply from an rodi system1 tapped off a 30gallon storage tank. I run an open top tank. So 5 gallons ~3 days due to evaporation.
Miscellaneous advice and tips appreciated.

Last edited:

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short answer is I do not think it is suitable for your application. You need to find a flow chart for any pump your considering to really determine your flow at 8'. You also need to Claculate how much your plumbing is going to add and add that to the 8'. Max flow head typically is just a trickle of water. I doubt it will give you more than 1-300 gph at 8' depending on your plumbing. 3/4" is going to make it worse. Add in a few 90 degree fittings, a union or two and a valve and your not going to have much flow at all. Feeding two pump with a Y will not help. There are pressure pumps that are rated similar flow, but higher head height. Generally DC pumps are not pressure rated.

OP
OP
Llyod276

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a build thread with all of this done and with pics. Bit the bullet and went with the build. Turned out good. No leaks this time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back