Tank wipe out

fishxcx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Posting here asking for grace and advice as I try to navigate what the heck just happened to my tank. I was using this tank as a temporary/QT tank while my bigger tank (40 gallon breeder) cycles through.

20 gallon high
Salinity:1.025
Nitrates:0
Nitrates: 0
Alk: 289
pH: 8.4
Temp: 76

Had this setup for 3, almost 4 months now. Added CaribSea live sand and imagitarium brand Pacific water when setting up + dry rock. Things started off well, I added 1 Black Ocellaris and 2 Ocellaris clownfish (later learned that I should’ve only added 2, the BO was territorial). I then added 2 Chromis about a week later. *note, I was naive and didn’t invest in a QT, now I wish I did*

Eventually added a few more fish in anticipation of my 40GB almost done cycling. Got a hold of a Blue Tang from my LFS and it was going well, 4 days later it had an outbreak of white spots which I suspect was Ich. I began Ich treatment in my entire tank hoping to prevent any other outbreaks + because I read that once one has it, they all will probably catch it. (I did this for 3 days, per the directions on the bottle)

Fearing that it caught Ich because of stress and lack of suitable hiding spots, I went to LFS and purchased some live rock to add to the tank. The Blue Tang ended up passing a day or so later. About two weeks later and I noticed a few white spots on a few more fish, my Black Ocellaris and a Coral Beauty I had gotten a hold of (again, in anticipation of my 40GB). At the same time, my tank started growing an orange/brown algae which I suspected was diatom algae. Last night, my tank wasn’t looking so hot. I had a couple fish down at the bottom, not much movement and they just seemed to really struggle. Started another round of Ich treatment last night, second dose 12 hours later. I got back from work and things turn a terrible turn, I had my Coral Beauty was struggling, I ran to my LFS to seek advice and trying to figure out what to do. I came back home and found my coral beauty stopped moving and wasn’t breathing anymore- goner. I decided to try and do a water change in hopes that something would work. Within 2 hours my CB was gone. I pivoted my plan and decides to invest in a smaller tank to isolate the fish that we’re still looking okay. I put my 2 Ocellaris clownfish in there. Currently writing this as my Chromis are struggling and not able to swim and my BO is on the same boat.

At this point I’m a at a loss and I’m not sure what to do. I’ve accepted that this is a learning lesson and decided to break down my 40 while I get through this (emotionally, mentally, financially).

Hoping that my clownfish make it so that I can approach homing them better, and giving a more educated shot at this hobby.

Again, asking for some grace and support in navigating this. Please keep negativity away, I was reluctant to post this but acknowledge that I can only get better through learning from others that have the experience I don’t.

Thanks in advance!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Posting here asking for grace and advice as I try to navigate what the heck just happened to my tank. I was using this tank as a temporary/QT tank while my bigger tank (40 gallon breeder) cycles through.

20 gallon high
Salinity:1.025
Nitrates:0
Nitrates: 0
Alk: 289
pH: 8.4
Temp: 76

Had this setup for 3, almost 4 months now. Added CaribSea live sand and imagitarium brand Pacific water when setting up + dry rock. Things started off well, I added 1 Black Ocellaris and 2 Ocellaris clownfish (later learned that I should’ve only added 2, the BO was territorial). I then added 2 Chromis about a week later. *note, I was naive and didn’t invest in a QT, now I wish I did*

Eventually added a few more fish in anticipation of my 40GB almost done cycling. Got a hold of a Blue Tang from my LFS and it was going well, 4 days later it had an outbreak of white spots which I suspect was Ich. I began Ich treatment in my entire tank hoping to prevent any other outbreaks + because I read that once one has it, they all will probably catch it. (I did this for 3 days, per the directions on the bottle)

Fearing that it caught Ich because of stress and lack of suitable hiding spots, I went to LFS and purchased some live rock to add to the tank. The Blue Tang ended up passing a day or so later. About two weeks later and I noticed a few white spots on a few more fish, my Black Ocellaris and a Coral Beauty I had gotten a hold of (again, in anticipation of my 40GB). At the same time, my tank started growing an orange/brown algae which I suspected was diatom algae. Last night, my tank wasn’t looking so hot. I had a couple fish down at the bottom, not much movement and they just seemed to really struggle. Started another round of Ich treatment last night, second dose 12 hours later. I got back from work and things turn a terrible turn, I had my Coral Beauty was struggling, I ran to my LFS to seek advice and trying to figure out what to do. I came back home and found my coral beauty stopped moving and wasn’t breathing anymore- goner. I decided to try and do a water change in hopes that something would work. Within 2 hours my CB was gone. I pivoted my plan and decides to invest in a smaller tank to isolate the fish that we’re still looking okay. I put my 2 Ocellaris clownfish in there. Currently writing this as my Chromis are struggling and not able to swim and my BO is on the same boat.

At this point I’m a at a loss and I’m not sure what to do. I’ve accepted that this is a learning lesson and decided to break down my 40 while I get through this (emotionally, mentally, financially).

Hoping that my clownfish make it so that I can approach homing them better, and giving a more educated shot at this hobby.

Again, asking for some grace and support in navigating this. Please keep negativity away, I was reluctant to post this but acknowledge that I can only get better through learning from others that have the experience I don’t.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Are there invertebrates in the tank also?
If they are doing well, then it is usually a fish disease, not water quality issues.
Can you post a short video of the fish?

I think your fish are still battling ich parasites. What medication are you using? You said it would cure them in 3 days, but no medication I know of can cure ich that fast.

Jay

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I read correctly, it seems like you added 5 fish very quickly to a 20 gallon tank. I dont think a tang should go into a 20 tall, not even for QT, it is too small of swimming space. It sounds like extreme stress to the fish which brought on disease.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 clowns, blue tang, coral beauty, 2 chromis. Is this complete list of fish?

If you continue to add new unquarantined fish to this 20G tank you will likely continue to have problems. I would slow down, treat the fish you currently have with the proper medication/treatment once Jay nails down a diagnosis, and don't add anything more until you get the 40B set up and can use the 20 as a proper QT.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get photos of the fish under white light so we can make sure it is ich.

No medication can work in 3 days. You need copper for ich for 30 days.

40g isn’t big enough for a blue tang.

Proper stocking of appropriate fish and go slow with additions and QT them is the way.

You don’t want to set up a tank and just toss all the fish in. The show TANKED is an example of what not to do… those tanks were failures off screen.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back