Tank work day

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having trouble with my skimmer, so over the past couple of days I've been tinkering with my setup.

First things first, cleaned it from top to bottom. Took all kinds of grit, shell pieces, and junk out of the pump. Verified the airline was clear and the venturi clean. Then it was time to work on the ever-flooding collection cup.

I've tried to add a float switch before and it was getting a real workout. I believe that a bad connection was causing the skimmer to cut off and on at random times.... thus adding to the flooding issues. So today I did a little soldering and worked on making a simple disconnect for my switch. With a little tinkering, I now have a 1/8" headphone jack connection on my skimmer float switch. :)

A little programming in the Apex and now when the skimmer collection cup is full or the switch is disconnected, the fuge light comes on automatically. Cutting down on me forgetting to turn it off when I clean the cup.

Now it's time to do a water change and come Wednesday, go visit the CO2 supplier.

Replacement T-5's get here Monday.... and we'll finally be ready to replace some corals.

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gary,

I've got a couple of frags for you. One is a piece of Red Planet and the other is a green SPS that I don't know the name of. If you want them, let me know.

OP
OP
gnoles

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks... now we need to get a thread started about a meeting or get the other regulars together and start planning for after the first of the year. Set some meetings, or set a schedule and lock it down as best we can.

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alan is going to hold a meeting at his place in Dec. I am planning to host one in the middle of Jan., so thats one for the next two months. Hopefully we can keep it going.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back