TC's 180G build

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its almost time. My 180 gallon tank is being built and should be ready in the next few weeks. I am going to do my best to document this build.

Waiting on the Tank- 180G 72"x24x"24, Modular Marine external overflow with 3 -1 1/2" drains setup bean animal, Steel stand with magnetic wood skin.

Sitting in the garage waiting - Trigger Triton 44 sump, COR-20

I will be transferring my current Skimmer,MP40s and Radions and APEX over but will be adding/upgrading as needed and funds allow.

My first hurdle will be plumbing. I plan on building a manifold and want to run a separate pump for it. I want to plumb it so that if needed I can use it as a backup. Since I have dual returns I thought about running the COR-20 on one return line by itself then adding a second pump (Model unsure) and running the manifold and second return line. That way if either fail I will still have flow.

Second option would be to run both pumps on the same pluming running both return lines and manifold. I have hear strange things can happen if one pump goes down. I would have to make sure there are check valves in place to prevent water from going out the failed pump back into the sump.

Other option I thought about putting the second pump on a T that feeds into the manifold and one of the return pipes but put a ball valve between the two pumps so they couldnt flow toward each other unless I choose to allow it. This would allow them to run independently but if needed both pumps could potentially run the manifold and retrun lines. This make sense in my head but I'm sure I am missing something.

I'm not sure if I want to attempt auto water changes or not. I see mixed reviews and I feel like $300 could go towards some other gear thats needed more than the convenience of auto water changes.

I know that the dual MP40s will not be enough flow but I want to see how things work when I get it setup and decide what I need in addition.

Hopefully I will have some pictures of the tank in the next few weeks.

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the stand, sump and ATO in. Tank should be ready in 2 weeks. Stand is made of steel with magnetic panels. Simple and clean. I love it already since I can get to every place in and around the stand. No more lost items behind or under the stand. No more wondering if the spilled water is drying or molding.

IMG_20200220_174637.jpg

IMG_20200220_174342.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my plan for plumbing. I plan on running two return pumps one running a manifold and the other straight to the display. I plan on having them attached to the same return pipes but separated by a ball valve. That way if there is any pump failure or maintenance I can divert water to keep everything running just at a reduced flow. I will have two additional ball valves that will allow me to shut off each return line preventing water from flowing back out the unused side. 1.5" bean animal drain. Emergence drain going in to the skimmer chamber. I haven't settled on what return pumps to use but they will be DC and large enough to support the system individually just dialed back to support my desired flow.

Anything look wrong or thoughts to make it better?

Plumbing.jpg

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my plan for plumbing. I plan on running two return pumps one running a manifold and the other straight to the display. I plan on having them attached to the same return pipes but separated by a ball valve. That way if there is any pump failure or maintenance I can divert water to keep everything running just at a reduced flow. I will have two additional ball valves that will allow me to shut off each return line preventing water from flowing back out the unused side. 1.5" bean animal drain. Emergence drain going in to the skimmer chamber. I haven't settled on what return pumps to use but they will be DC and large enough to support the system individually just dialed back to support my desired flow.

Anything look wrong or thoughts to make it better?

Plumbing.jpg
Possibly a ball valve to the left side left of the manifold. Might need to build more head pressure depending on future ad ons. Also don't see any unions. I would recommend unions everywhere. Here is some pre setup pics. Lots of unions and ball valves

20200118_190005.jpg 20190427_141402.jpg

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a ball valve to the left side left of the manifold. Might need to build more head pressure depending on future ad ons. Also don't see any unions. I would recommend unions everywhere. Here is some pre setup pics. Lots of unions and ball valves

20200118_190005.jpg 20190427_141402.jpg

Thanks for the input. I didnt put the unions in the diagram do to clutter. They will be all over thats for sure. Didnt think about putting a ball valve on the left of the manifold but it makes sense.

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got one tiny drip. I can live with it if I can't fix it. Not worth cutting. I do have to say 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" pipe fittings are huge. Making everything fit on paper was way easier.

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got a chance to try and fix the drip today. Turns out I'm an idiot. I didn't glue that fitting lol. Been running a few hours no more drips. Now it's time to work on mounting all the electronics.

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had some delays but ingot everything done just leveled it waiting for wife to say it's good in it's permanent home and water goes in tonight. Well the 1st hundred gallons.

IMG_20200428_163158.jpg IMG_20200428_163221.jpg

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updated pics. Cycle has begun. Originally wanted to go all out with the control board but realized I don't really care as long as it's organized. Ordered a reefwave 45 today to give it a try. Heard good things so far. Still need to figure out the fuge light and get all my BOB sensors wired and alarms set.

IMG_20200507_212410__01.jpg

IMG_20200507_212444.jpg

IMG_20200507_212432.jpg

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back