OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok day 22 of the cycle and my ammonia is finally 0 but nitrites still at 2ish ppm hopefully they will drop in the next week. I forgot how much it sucks to wait for this to finish. Gotta say I'm not impressed with Dr Tims one and only. Expensive and didn't save any time.

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to get rid of my temporary tank so had to move some corals and turn on the lights earlier than I wanted, so I got a nice diatom bloom. No big deal gotta get through the ugly stages.

IMG_20200714_154552__01.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided not to sell my Radions and just add t5s to the mix. Once I get more corals in and if the demand for light goes up I will look into whats new. Figure this will get by for at least 2 years. Got a nice algea bloom after running them for a few days.

t5.jpg

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided since I didnt buy new lights I should blow the extra money on something totally not necessary :) Going to Auto Water changes and dosing based off the Tridents data. Figured it will help me be more stable. Every tank I have had looked nice but could have been a lot better. I really want to focus on nicer corals both LPS and SPS in this tank. My last tank I did water changes every 4 to 6 weeks mostly cause I was lazy. Now with a bigger tank it will be a lot more work so I figured I would give AWC a try.

trident.jpg

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Months of a bacteria bloom finally cleared up. I never used a UV light on a reef tank but I had a 5 year old 13 watt UV light I got off Amazon for my turtle tank years ago sitting in the garage. Just as test I threw it in the sump. Took less than 24 hours and it's super clear. Not sure I'll invest in a UV that's rated for my tank at this point but I'm happy this $35 UV light was around.

IMG_20200920_114201__01.jpg

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm probably the worst reef keeper when it comes to taking pictures of my tank and documenting my progress. Here are a few pics of the 1 yearish mark. I will say progress has been quite slow on this tank. I have had a bunch of setbacks and issues that prevented me from buying a ton of corals.

This is my first tank with Acros. It started off terrible and had several deaths. I got a few to stick around but have not really thrived. I chalk a lot of it to a newer tank and not being able to stabilize my parameters. I have noticed in the last 3 months that colors are starting to increase and corals that have been living but are ugly and lack color all of a sudden look "better" I am starting to see colors that didn't exist since I bought the coral.

It's funny when one coral starts to look better another starts to look worse. I think this is the problem everyone talks about with mixed reef tanks. For example, my acros are gaining color but I have a huge colony of utter chaos zoas brownout. No idea why it happened in a few days. All the other zoas are doing fine. It's been about a month and a half and I am seeing color come back ever so slightly but I have no idea what happened. I am not going to make changes to try and fix it. Hopefully, it will bounce back.

I have fought flow issues for months. Have been fighting Cyano and detritus build upon the rocks. I finally gave up on the Reef Waves. I am sticking to the MP40s and added a Neptune WAV which other than the size I really like its performance.

I think I have learned that nutrient levels and success really vary from tank to tank. I tried to go with the .05 or less phosphate and .5 to 10 nitrate and had nothing but algae issues and color and death issues with the corals. When I gave up and just let things be the numbers shot up for a bit and everything started to looks better. Gradually the numbers lowered and stabilized without me changing anything. My cyano is mostly gone and I have the best colors in the acros that I have ever had. Last I checked phosphate is around .1 ppm and nitrates are around 15ppm. At one point phosphate got up to nearly .2 ppm and nitrates were around .25 ppm. So I am done trying to go lower nutrients.

I recently dumps the T5/Radion G3 hybrid I was running and now just have Gen 5s. The color pop is much nicer to my eyes. Hopefully it will prove to be a better setup long term.

I am actually approaching the 2 year mark so I will update again in a month or two with current pics.

1 year.jpg

1 year A.jpg

1 year B.jpg

1 year C.jpg

Back