TD375 - New Build

David29price

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’m finally ready to start my new build thread. I’ve been dreaming of doing a tank like this for years and with my new home I can finally do it!

To start out with, the name: TD375. I own a side business installing/maintaining aquariums and the business is called Tidal Dave. 375 is the total gallons of the display tank. So like the BRS160, I came up with the TD375 for fun. This is all for fun so why not and this is 100% personal, nothing related to the business although a nice show piece when I am done.

So to start off, let me describe the layout. The aquarium will be built between my living room and office. The office side will have the aquarium enclosed with custom cabinetry while on the living room side it will be flush with the wall. I am planning to locate all filtration in the basement in a newly built filter room. I am finishing my basement as I type this and I built out a “special” room just for this purpose. The aquarium and sump are about 30 feet away from each other, so that also brings with it more challenges, mostly around pump sizing for the head pressure.

The filter room itself will be “hidden” with a pair of moveable bookcases in front of it, disguising the room and making a hidden room out of the whole thing. Part of the reason for having it in the basement is plenty of room to work on everything, more room for more equipment, frag tanks, hospital tank, etc….. Plus trying to work on all this under a tank is just exhausting and can be quite noisy.

The display aquarium will utilize a closed loop system for water movement. I am going to use 2 4-way Oceans Motions wave makers on two closed loop pumps. This will be the only sound coming from under the main tank.

The floor directly below the aquarium will be reinforced to accommodate the extra weight. I fortunately have a rather large I-Beam not 2 feet away from the aquariums planned location, so I don’t expect any issues, but want to be extra careful.

The aquarium will be plumbed with a custom hybrid zero overflow using bean method.

I’ll have an APEX with main controller and 2nd connected controller so I can control and monitor everything.

Here are the specs, as it stands now. Of course this may change, but at the moment this is the plan….

Aquarium: Tank Me USA 375 Gallon (96” x 30” x 30”)

Sump: Tank Me USA Oversized Sump

Stand: Tank Me USA Powder Coated Stand

Filtration: 2 – 7” KLIR Filters With Option for 3rd

Protein Skimmer: Xflo 6-2.5

RO/DI: BRS 7 Stage With Booster Pump

Lighting: Kessil A360X Tuna Blue (8 Planned for now)

Wave Making: Oceans Motions

Closed Loop Pumps: Reef Octopus Varios 8

Return Pump: Currently still planning, but looking at Reeflo

Calcium Reactor: Super Reef Octopus CR5000D 8"

Carbon/GFO: BRS Dual Reactor

APEX Controller: Whatever is the one with most options.

UV: Aqua Ultraviolet 80 Watt With Wiper

Heater: Blueline Biotherm 1000 Water Titanium Heater

Chiller: This remains undecided. I will plan the space for one, but may not need one due to the water volume and cool area the sump will be in. If I have to add one, it will be an Artica in-line.

Algae Scrubber: Currently debating this, may do one later if there is a need to control nutrients further.

There will also be 2 – 100 Gallon Water Storage Containers for RO/DI Water and Mixing Station all plumbed for each changes.

Here are a few pictures showing the layout of the main floor as well as the basement.
Basement - Changes.png

Display Tank.png

Attachments

• Basement - Changes.pdf
    365.2 KB · Views: 122

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is quite a plan you have. Any reason you didn't design the sump area more under the tank so you would have less head pressure on the return?

OP
OP
David29price

David29price

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I planned it in the basement on purpose to avoid all the noise from all the equipment as well as to have plenty of room to work. I can’t stand trying to work under these cramped stands. They become impossible after a while and maintenance declines simply because people can’t get to everything to maintain it.

I have a customer with a similar design and everything is directly under it. It is so noisy you can hear the main pump 3 rooms away.

OP
OP
David29price

David29price

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooops you misunderstood me, I meant in the basement directly below the tank :)
Ah sorry about that, indeed I didn’t read that right!

It’s located on the other side of the house because the aquarium will be over the garage, so it wasn’t possible to be directly under it.

OP
OP
David29price

David29price

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fallowing!
nice nice tank. I am sure you have thought of this but the 30" H might be a PINTA?? maybe just me as I am 5'8" I tent to like 24" max.
if it was me I would add the 6" to the depth.

anyway I am excited to see this come together. :D
Yeah it was originally 24” wide and I expanded to 30”. 30” deep will be tough at times. I’d go with more depth but then it starts to make my new office too small. So it was a constant compromise.

I’ve made some cool tools to deal with the height. I have a 500 gallon tank I service that’s 40” deep so I’m used to it.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it was originally 24” wide and I expanded to 30”. 30” deep will be tough at times. I’d go with more depth but then it starts to make my new office too small. So it was a constant compromise.

I’ve made some cool tools to deal with the height. I have a 500 gallon tank I service that’s 40” deep so I’m used to it.

oh wow a tall 500! yup you dont need me saying a 30" might be hard then...haha

and yes we all understand about making compromises in this hobby...and in life.
congrats on the new home. I am sure it will be everything you want and more.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great system David and thanks for the detailed write up

And just remember we NEED lots of pictures! Lol

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it!

Only thing I saw if the QT tank is within 10 feet of your tank water . I see the sump close to it. Fish diseases can go airborne into your main water .

OP
OP
David29price

David29price

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it!

Only thing I saw if the QT tank is within 10 feet of your tank water . I see the sump close to it. Fish diseases can go airborne into your main water .
Yeah I was planning to cover the qt tank for that reason. Do you think that is acceptable? Thanks!

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was planning to cover the qt tank for that reason. Do you think that is acceptable? Thanks!

Well, I don’t know for sure. I assume it’s not going to be air tight because everything would die and if it’s not air tight then it can still spread. Would suck to QT a fish for 72+ days and it’s in your DT anyways..

QTing is hard

OP
OP
David29price

David29price

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I don’t know for sure. I assume it’s not going to be air tight because everything would die and if it’s not air tight then it can still spread. Would suck to QT a fish for 72+ days and it’s in your DT anyways..

QTing is hard
Yeah I get what your saying. I’ll have to figure something out. I know that’s a concern. Thanks for reminding me!

OP
OP
David29price

David29price

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I finally have an update for you all. I'm running a bit behind due to contractor problems finishing the drywall. Needless to say, between that and some health issues what should have taken a few weeks took 6. So at this point what remains is for me to install the lights, paint and do the flooring. The lights and paint will be done this week. I also have to build bookcases which will sit inside the frame to the filter room. These are going to be on hidden hinges so when complete, you will have functional bookcases that also act as doors to hide a secret room, in this case my filter room. You probably can't tell from this picture, but the ceiling has been textured. The wire hanging down in the middle is CAT5E. I am putting a wireless access point on each floor to spread out my WIFI and give me a good solid signal throughout the house.

Basement Update.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great progress, now following!!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back