Teco Chiller - AC Window Vent

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I would like to vent all the hot air that comes out of my Teco TK-2000 chiller to the outside, using one of the portable air conditioner window vents. Has anyone already done this? Any tips?

It seems like we could 3d print, or otherwise replace, the "in stand" vent attachment and convert it into a standard AC vent size (think clothes dryer vent). Maybe take the output on a 90 degree, so that the output goes straight up instead of straight back. Then we could just buy a cheap window vent on amazon and attach the chiller - the hot air would then go outside instead of into our homes.

I don't have a 3d printer, but we could certainly buy it from a place like Shapeways.

Think there's anything I'm missing here? Seems pretty doable.
PXL_20200912_165222919.jpg

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I would like to vent all the hot air that comes out of my Teco TK-2000 chiller to the outside, using one of the portable air conditioner window vents. Has anyone already done this? Any tips?

It seems like we could 3d print, or otherwise replace, the "in stand" vent attachment and convert it into a standard AC vent size (think clothes dryer vent). Maybe take the output on a 90 degree, so that the output goes straight up instead of straight back. Then we could just buy a cheap window vent on amazon and attach the chiller - the hot air would then go outside instead of into our homes.

I don't have a 3d printer, but we could certainly buy it from a place like Shapeways.

Think there's anything I'm missing here? Seems pretty doable.
PXL_20200912_165222919.jpg
I searched all over for a vent that converted from this shape to a standard shape. What I ended up doing was blocking the rear opening on the lid of my TK-1000 and drilling an AC vent attachment to the top. Note that the machine pushes a lot of air, so ideally you need a pretty large opening.

A4C78168-EB02-4944-B011-5EC33942501D_1_105_c.jpg

I originally used a 2.5", but I suggest you go with at least a 4" or better a 6" round, as the TK vent is something like 2" x 12", so 24 square inches of total size.

duct-collar1.png
31L9TEGDKvL._AC_.jpg

Ssscuz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesnt the Hydroponic version of the Teco come with the up outlet that you could connect a hose onto?

should be able to buy this as a separate part

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a chiller I had a window right above & a slider to boot.
I put the chiller up by the window on a shelf bolted to the wall studs.
I went to the local sheet metal shop with a cardboard template of a duct & had it made.
Worked GREAT, all the hot air went outside & a board next to the inside slider prevented the window from being opened.

OP
OP
inktomi

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success! I used a 6" tube along with an AC window vent.

Not my best dremel cut ever, and the flange I bought off amazon came not-quite-circular which made it even more fun - but it works!

I cut a rectangle of ABS plastic out to fill in the back where the air would normally vent, seems to work well.

The only thing I'm wondering about - the stock fan in the unit pushes are OUT the sides and not UP. I wonder if we should replace the fan when doing this modification - so that the fan blows up instead of out towards the now-blocked side?

PXL_20200920_215004638.jpg

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The less restriction the better. Looked @ their video, it states air sucked in on the sides & out the top. Pull the hose off & see if it makes a difference, you might need a bigger outlet.

Back