Teco Tk1000 cooling reduced

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all
Offlate my teco tk1000 is not cooling to the mark. The set temp is 26deg Celsius, but the temperature does not go below 28deg.
Contacted kevin from Teco and did all that he suggested:
1. Fan operating speed: ok
2. Cleaned the air filter and even opened and cleaned inside
3. No alarm on the led panel
4. checked the water inlet flow: ok. even increased the pump pressure a bit from 43% to 48%.
5. The chiller is not under the tank in the cabinet, its in a separate room but the piping is not long from the tank. So installed a exhaust in that room.
6. Checked for gas pressure and leaks: Ok
7. Did one complete reset as given in the manual
After all this still the problem persists...Any further suggestions on this would be highly appreciated and helpful..
the chiller has been in the same place for last 2 years since its been installed and was running perfectly..

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you set it to 24deg Celsius does the temperature drop below 28deg?

The two things I can think of is:
The refrigerant needs a top off (unlikely if the pressure is correct)
The internal plumbing might need a cleaning

ATAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the room/home is hotter than usual (maybe not running ac or running the heat higher) could be the difference that makes this chiller keep up or not

OP
OP
oldmonk

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you set it to 24deg Celsius does the temperature drop below 28deg?

The two things I can think of is:
The refrigerant needs a top off (unlikely if the pressure is correct)
The internal plumbing might need a cleaning
No i did not check it at 24deg celsius. Now since u mentioned i have done it, will see if there is any change. I guess cleaning the internal plumbing looks like the last option to give a try. Manual says doing it by 50:50 vinegar and water and then RODI water for flushing.
Thanks ...

OP
OP
oldmonk

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the room/home is hotter than usual (maybe not running ac or running the heat higher) could be the difference that makes this chiller keep up or not
the ambient temperature is at present 39deg C, but this is not the 1st time that the temperature has gone up, its was running perfectly for last couple of years, in the same installed place. Yesterday have installed an exhaust for that room.

OP
OP
oldmonk

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vangvace
Lowering the setting to 24 deg did not help. Today will be getting the spare chiller from a friend(he went the titanium coil route ) and hook it up, till my teco goes a thorough service/check up.. Hope to get it on track..
thanks for inputs...

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vangvace
Lowering the setting to 24 deg did not help. Today will be getting the spare chiller from a friend(he went the titanium coil route ) and hook it up, till my teco goes a thorough service/check up.. Hope to get it on track..
thanks for inputs...
Hi, I have a tk500 for 3 years and although it was functioning properly at the two year mark I disconnected it and ran the the supply pump in 100% vinegar then to chiller then back in the vinegar for 24 hours and I was amazed at how much had accumulated in the chiller! A ten degree Celsius drop in 40c ambient is a massive amount of work. I have a tk500 on a 250litre and when the ambient temp is 30-35 it will cycle about 3-4 times per hour to achieve 25c

OP
OP
oldmonk

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a tk500 for 3 years and although it was functioning properly at the two year mark I disconnected it and ran the the supply pump in 100% vinegar then to chiller then back in the vinegar for 24 hours and I was amazed at how much had accumulated in the chiller! A ten degree Celsius drop in 40c ambient is a massive amount of work. I have a tk500 on a 250litre and when the ambient temp is 30-35 it will cycle about 3-4 times per hour to achieve 25c
yes . thats the idea now.. thanks a lot for chiming in with yr similar exp... i guess i will have to work on the internal water channel of the chiller . My supply pump is common for return and chiller , which i clean every 6 months.. Thanks again

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, when you do the vinegar flush through your chiller‘s internals to clean out the buildup, it’s a good idea to backflush it. Pump the vinegar solution into the “output” and then let it flow back into the bucket to recirculate from the “input”, running reverse flow through the chiller.

OP
OP
oldmonk

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, when you do the vinegar flush through your chiller‘s internals to clean out the buildup, it’s a good idea to backflush it. Pump the vinegar solution into the “output” and then let it flow back into the bucket to recirculate from the “input”, running reverse flow through the chiller.
Cool.. many thanks for that useful tip.

OP
OP
oldmonk

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My teco situation still remains the same:(. Even after flushing it with vinegar, the cooling efficiency did not improve as expected. It tho came down 27.4 from 28.1, but the compressor runs continuously.. I guess now the last solution is to take it for a deep check up/ repair / service.. Temporarily running a hailea 1000.
thanks all of you for yr experiences and inputs.. Will surely post the outcome eventually

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My teco situation still remains the same:(. Even after flushing it with vinegar, the cooling efficiency did not improve as expected. It tho came down 27.4 from 28.1, but the compressor runs continuously.. I guess now the last solution is to take it for a deep check up/ repair / service.. Temporarily running a hailea 1000.
thanks all of you for yr experiences and inputs.. Will surely post the outcome eventually
Please do. I paid the extra money for teco reliability.

OP
OP
oldmonk

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use this calculator from Teco to check if you have sufficient power.
@Silver Dollar
thanks for that link, but the calculator is bit weird. For the volume of water i have (around 160g) , it recommends teco tk150 which is way small as per teco site recommendations. Secondly, just a rise in 1 deg C of room temperature, it says the room temperature is too high and that recommendation of tk150 is replaced by 'contact teco' :rolleyes:

OP
OP
oldmonk

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all
Offlate my teco tk1000 is not cooling to the mark. The set temp is 26deg Celsius, but the temperature does not go below 28deg.
Contacted kevin from Teco and did all that he suggested:
1. Fan operating speed: ok
2. Cleaned the air filter and even opened and cleaned inside
3. No alarm on the led panel
4. checked the water inlet flow: ok. even increased the pump pressure a bit from 43% to 48%.
5. The chiller is not under the tank in the cabinet, its in a separate room but the piping is not long from the tank. So installed a exhaust in that room.
6. Checked for gas pressure and leaks: Ok
7. Did one complete reset as given in the manual
After all this still the problem persists...Any further suggestions on this would be highly appreciated and helpful..
the chiller has been in the same place for last 2 years since its been installed and was running perfectly..
Further on this ongoing problem..no reply as such from teco after initial couple of responses. Took the chiller to an Aircon service centre. Once again ran thru all the above checks and tried running the chiller thru a small qty of water(25l). No luck. the mechanic says the compressor needs replacement. Will get couple of opinions more. If all say the same, then no option but to change it. :(

OP
OP
oldmonk

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dukereefnz
hey, so the latest update is i did not change the compressor as it was very difficult to get a compressor locally that will fit into the Teco. To make situation worse , i dint get much help from teco after couple of mails. All they said is that the place where chiller is housed needs to be relatively cool, But i was running the chiller in the same place for 2 yrs..
Finally just backwashed the chiller coils with 50/50 water and cleaning vinegar for 3-4 hrs with an external pump and then installed back with just reversing the inlet and oulet flow. Somehow worked for good 5-6 months until i shut down my tank for house renovations.
Looks like you should be good with the Teco, as i assume your summers aren't bad as they are in my pat of the world. Are they?
If you take a look at the the Teco chiller calculator, its both funny and surprising that when you enter the ambient temperature anything more than 32-33 degC , it says contact Teco:(

Hope this helps..Thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back