Tell me about Apex EL

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm picking up a used Apex EL tomorrow. I have a lot of reading up to do as it was a bit of an impulse buy LOL. Send any good links my way that you have handy (I did read the one about transferring it to a new owner and have asked that they remove it from their fusion account).

What equipment should I run with the Apex vs. leaving as-is?

Current equipment:
AI Hydra 26 HD lights
Might Jet return pump
Ice Cap 1K Gyre
Jager Eheim heater with Ink Bird controller (I assume I'll want to use Apex rather than the Ink Bird here?)
2 Kaomer X1 Pro dosing pumps (daisy chained)
ACKE Grow light for fuge

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have written a series of Apex tutorials:

Pretty much all of your equipment can be connected and controlled by the Apex, at a minimum for On/Off control. The AI lights may be fully controllable for spectrum and intensity (I don’t have AI, so not 100% certain). I’d still recommend using the InkBird with the heaters, but have the Apex act as a failsafe in case a heater gets stuck on so you don’t overheat the tank.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have written a series of Apex tutorials:

Pretty much all of your equipment can be connected and controlled by the Apex, at a minimum for On/Off control. The AI lights may be fully controllable for spectrum and intensity (I don’t have AI, so not 100% certain). I’d still recommend using the InkBird with the heaters, but have the Apex act as a failsafe in case a heater gets stuck on so you don’t overheat the tank.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
So you recommend plugging the Ink bird into the Apex? The Ink Bird is first line fail safe for shutting off the heater, but then apex would also do it in case the Ink bird fails? I'll check out the link, thanks.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you recommend plugging the Ink bird into the Apex? The Ink Bird is first line fail safe for shutting off the heater, but then apex would also do it in case the Ink bird fails? I'll check out the link, thanks.
Yes, plug the InkBird into the Apex EnergyBar, the configure that output to always stay on unless the temperature exceeds a maximum value. Example:

Fallback ON
Set ON
If Tmp > 80.0 Then OFF
Min Time 010:00 Then OFF

I assume your InkBird is set to somewhere between 78-79, so setting the Apex to 80 provides a safeguard.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, plug the InkBird into the Apex EnergyBar, the configure that output to always stay on unless the temperature exceeds a maximum value. Example:

Fallback ON
Set ON
If Tmp > 80.0 Then OFF
Min Time 010:00 Then OFF

I assume your InkBird is set to somewhere between 78-79, so setting the Apex to 80 provides a safeguard.
Great, thanks! Reading up on the AI Hydra control. Interesting...

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(duplicate)

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, be sure to join the Neptune Community Forums. It has a wealth of questions/solutions dating back nearly 10 years. If you have a question, chances are it’s already been asked and answered there, so do a search first.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as Hydra goes I found Ai site is easier to understand than trying to control through apex. But enjoy I am also a new user and get ready to buy all kinds of gadgets. Ai crest is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to Neptune listen to eve berthing he tells you he k owes what he’s talking about. This controller will open so many doors for you

MickeyR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an EL, similar to yours, I dont have an inkbird, but thought of getting one as a backup to a backup. Gyre and Radion I am currently controlling from controller/ecosmartlive app. I had a hydra 26hd, I would just stick with the my ai app until you research and get used to what you find out and think you are ready for. So far really liking the el, havent gotten deep into coding but as Suncrest mentioned join the Neptune forums. I want to say I used SuncrestReef's post on setting up a virtual output to toggle my water change stuff. Some really great information and people all over. Next things to get on my list is an AFS, and maybe convert my aqauhub ato to the apex one and free up another outlet. PM me any questions.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back