Lillmoya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my first marine fish yesterday, a beautiful pair of ocellaris clowns! One yellow and one a picture perfect Nemo orange. I’d had plenty of freshwater fish in the past, but this being my first marine fish... needless to say I was nervous. I didn’t have a container to drip acclimate them that I was 100% sure didn’t have soap or other toxins on it.

I decided to drip acclimate them in the bag without exposing them to oxygen, which also temp acclimates simultaneously. I floated the bags in the tank and poked multiple holes with a needle in the area of the bag that was under water. This allowed any chemicals they weren’t used to to seep in ever so slightly.

I waited a few minutes then took one corner of the bag and cut a very small hole in it and submerged it. I could see the water that had stress zyme and different salinity levels mix with the tank water. It was nice to be able to monitor how quickly these were mixing. The air in the bag was still very much the air that was originally there, so no worries about added toxicity.

About 5 minutes of letting the waters mix and I expanded the hole. The water was mixing faster now and the fish were doing great. After I could no longer visibly see the waters mixing together, I knew the drip acclimation was complete.

I expanded the hole big enough to fit the clownfish through, then gently lifted the bag slowly out of the water, allowing the clownfish to find the opening as the water level in the bag dropped. This seemed like the least stressful release method I could think of, as opposed to sifting them out of a container with a net. The whole process took about 10 minutes (maybe less... I didn’t time Anything).

The clownfish never missed a beat and darted around the tank like kids on a playground. They even discovered their reflections in a mirror behind the tank and had a blast with that for about an hour. It was really fun to watch. It’s definitely a huge relief as a first time marine mama. The yellow one keeps swimming up to me from the back of the tank all cutsie like. I think he’s vying to be my favorite. ❤️

089ACF70-6824-4A9B-9E84-67176F6D53F3.jpeg

DEABE2AD-8A16-4525-88FA-7357FA400373.jpeg

BF23631A-99E0-40D6-9DD2-F8C8DCC6A0C4.jpeg

E5FFCE7F-806A-47B0-BAF1-92089D581536.jpeg

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean to poke holes in your technique (pun intended!) but it's always best to drip acclimate where the tank water entered the bag or other container that the fish are in.

The goal is to prevent any contaminants from the LFS water from entering your tank. This could be algae spores or other undesirable microscopic inhabitants. However, the main culprit is copper. Many LFS run copper in their fish-only systems to mitigate disease/parasites. Too much copper in a reef system can kill coral and other invertebrates.

I also noticed that you assumed that once you could no longer visibly see the waters mixing together, that the acclimation process was finished. This is not necessarily true. It's best to drip acclimate (assuming you're using the traditional method) where the majority of the water is tank water.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always just floated and plopped, with that said you should never dump the water in the bag into your tank. If they have copper in there water and over time you do this with all the fish you add then if you have corals they will not like the copper, that’s just 1 reason not to dump in the water in the bag. I wouldn’t sweat it this one time though.

OP
OP
Lillmoya

Lillmoya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice about the copper. The only reason I didn’t sweat it is because they had invertebrates and corals in with these clowns at the pet store. Parasites? Maybe, but this is a quarantine tank for that very purpose. I’ll definitely be much more particular when dealing with the main tank. Thanks all!

P.S. Their names are Aytie (IT) and Omen. Yeah, I did the newbiest thing anyone could do and gave my clownfish clown and Nemo based names... I couldn’t help myself. The yellow one kept running up to me shaking her face like the IT Clownorange one was saved from being straight up “Nemo” by my daughter who suggested Nemo backwards. My husband accused me of being a boot in this Marine community as well as the other one. How dare he speak the truth!!!
B6353FE1-C567-4AA1-ACF6-713CCF651F1D.jpeg

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back