Temperatures

aereaus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think -- and this is purely my opinion that we can only emulate certain things from a natural reef in our home aquarium without issue. In a reef, algae and bacteria are naturally kept in check sometimes I think its more helpful to realize there is a big difference between what happens in a reef and what happens in an aquarium. Observe and adjust and as always keep an open mind. Arguing semantics isnt going to help anyone learn but the longer I am in this hobby the more I learn there are a million different ways to achieve success.

Ocho Cinco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably halides/heavy filtration you can get away without using a heater in that case especially if you dont run the AC much.
I was thinking halides but I didn't think that would be enough unless you house is kept hot. When you say heavy filtration, do you mean a lot of pumps running? Plus, 84 and 86 degrees is way too hot imo.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea halides will heat the tank a lot to where a chiller is needed in many cases, but overnight a heater would be needed to stabilize the temperature. Lots of pumps can increase the temp a little but not compared to the halides.

I was thinking halides but I didn't think that would be enough unless you house is kept hot. When you say heavy filtration, do you mean a lot of pumps running? Plus, 84 and 86 degrees is way too hot imo.[/QUOTE

AQSstudent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never run a heater. I use two 150 watt halides over my 75, and combined with the 1180 GPH pump hard plumbed in, there are three solid sources of heat which means I never had to turn on a tank heater over the winter. Constantly between 74-76, sometimes it creeps up over time towards 80. Last summer during no A/C those halides brought the tank up to 86, with no ill effect on the fish.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 130 76.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back