Tempered glass test, still popped?

jollyrogerreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did the LCD screen/polarized sunglasses test on a 29 gallon tank I got from a friend, and the glasses blacked out. From what I've seen on youtube, black means regular glass. During drilling, the glass popped. Afterwards, we destroyed the whole thing and found the front/back were tempered and the sides were just glass. Is there a better way to tell if its tempered, now that I have to start spending money on tanks?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not familiar with the LCD screen test or what that is. We didnt have LCD screens when I started doing this :). I have always just used the polarized glasses(in sunlight). When tempered should be able to see series of dots or faint lines across the glass.

rwb500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tempered pattern that is revealed with the LCD screen and polarized sunglasses/camera filter trick can be less obvious than you might expect. You need to use as large of a screen as possible, ideally a 13" laptop or bigger, to allow you to examine a large area of glass at once to look for any abnormalities. You also need to use a screen that actually goes fully black. A lot of newer devices don't.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does work, but you have to test it in a few areas. Also, never assume all of the panels are the same. Aqueon, for example, mixes it up. Sometimes you get 1 or 2 panels that are non-tempered and sometimes you get a fully tempered tank.

BigD9.5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who knew it could be so complicated lol....and i cant find any information on it anywhere! Brand new from petsmart i couldn't pass up the deal!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back