Temporary Aquarium

kopilatte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquarium is leaking. What's the safest/easiest way to setup a temporary tank? We are about to move house as well so buying a new aquarium is not a good option for now.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquarium is leaking. What's the safest/easiest way to setup a temporary tank? We are about to move house as well so buying a new aquarium is not a good option for now.
Rubbermaid tub is one.

How large is your tank now?

OP
OP
kopilatte

kopilatte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now is 110 gallon. Another issue is that we are planning to move house soon, in around one or two months. I don't have too many corals currently, I can move them to my nano tank. But the fish is the problem.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now is 110 gallon. Another issue is that we are planning to move house soon, in around one or two months. I don't have too many corals currently, I can move them to my nano tank. But the fish is the problem.
What kind of fish?

Possible to do a large rubber made tub from TSC or rehome them. Fish do fine in a stock tub and don’t need much light. This can help reduce algae, keep rocks alive and makes it easy to setup when you move. I have even used a kiddie pool to store fish for a few weeks while setting up a new tank.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brute on wheels?
This is what I did when I moved and all my livestock survived a week or 2 in the brute with live rocks, heater, powerhead aimed at rocks & light. The live rock is a must for filtration if u intend to keep them in brute long period otherwise regular water change would suffice.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brute but they are odd dimensions for some fish, otherwise rubbermaid.

OP
OP
kopilatte

kopilatte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also say definitely a Rubbermaid 100g stock tank, powerheads, heaters, gerry rigged protein skimmer and 10% weekly water changes.
You can always reuse the Rubbermaid as a large sump if your designing a basement sump in the new house.
I would love to try this if only my new house is not a multifamily house and we are going to live in the second floor. I probably won't bring my 110 gallon and fix it. I will downgrade. We will probably live there around 2 years. So I don't really want something permanent.
Any suggestion of good AIO tank?
Oh also for information, I have small tangs, hippo and yellow.

OP
OP
kopilatte

kopilatte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I did when I moved and all my livestock survived a week or 2 in the brute with live rocks, heater, powerhead aimed at rocks & light. The live rock is a must for filtration if u intend to keep them in brute long period otherwise regular water change would suffice.
I need to keep them there at most 2 months before new house is ready.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those type of fish you have will not do well in most AIO tanks because they tend to be on the smaller side of 50g. And for 2 months in a temporary tank, you're much better off selling the fish and starting over when your ready in the new house. Three of the nicer AIO that come to mind are the Red Sea, Waterbox and IM tanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree on Rubbermaid tub and repair should be fairly easy. Do you know where it’s leaking from ?

OP
OP
kopilatte

kopilatte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those type of fish you have will not do well in most AIO tanks because they tend to be on the smaller side of 50g. And for 2 months in a temporary tank, you're much better off selling the fish and starting over when your ready in the new house. Three of the nicer AIO that come to mind are the Red Sea, Waterbox and IM tanks.
My wife loves them. We had them since they are babies. I don't think she agrees of selling them. But yeah maybe AIO is not the way to go. The thing is I am pretty sure that we will move again in two years, I don't want to complicate the setup yet. My current plan is to move the coral into my nano tank since i just started with corals and i don't have many of them. And having a FOWLR setup.

OP
OP
kopilatte

kopilatte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on Rubbermaid tub and repair should be fairly easy. Do you know where it’s leaking from ?
Suspecting the plumbing, this was my first plumbed tank. I think I managed to stop them but we'll see. I still want a backup plan though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Suspecting the plumbing, this was my first plumbed tank. I think I managed to stop them but we'll see. I still want a backup plan though.
As I do, have a tub or two on hand .... just in case

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used a large marine cooler for temporary storage before and it worked pretty good...especially if temp fluctuations are of a concern.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also say definitely a Rubbermaid 100g stock tank, powerheads, heaters, gerry rigged protein skimmer and 10% weekly water changes.
You can always reuse the Rubbermaid as a large sump if your designing a basement sump in the new house.

Has anyone used these? I am in a similar position. Mine is not leaking but I am about to move. Hopefully I won't have to use it for more then a week.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the 100g trough, what is it that you want to know? They are sized perfectly for housing a tank changeover.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you are in USA?

Purchase a 75-gal Aqueon (4-foot tank) from Petco. Place it on a homebuilt wooden stand or simple frame.
Use a Fiji Cube AIO box or SunSun canister filter. You will have roughly $400 in the entire setup and have a nice, smaller DT for later.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any food-safe container is also fish-safe. Also, bear in mind you can just put something on the floor, no stand required.

All you need is something big enough to hold water, a heater, some form of water movement (can just be a pump or two), and a lid. Do NOT transfer your old sand, just the rock. The sand is very likely more trouble than it's worth. If you have lots of stuff living in it, just take a few big handfuls of it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back