Tenecor's $29* ReefPoint® 3 Gallon DIY Frag Kit Drops This Thursday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recieved my DIY tank yesterday and ordered the sump without knowing what size the supports would be. From mock up pics I took a stab at the divider sizes of 8" center and 4" supports. From there went down this design rabbit hole. Thinking of doing this based off the Eshoops Cube sump, and their Cliff Hanger sock holder.

Adding DYI intake box with flow underneath from a sock/filter basket area. Flow thru media area under tank. Around offset center to a refugium area which I'm going to make an adjustable weir on last panel to return pump/skimmer area. Probably repurpose one of the 4" supports for this. Open area is for pump that can go under tank, skimmer, and the filter area all for easy access. Still working on heater option and where...

Thoughts??
1674667348993.png
1674667372883.png

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recieved my DIY tank yesterday and ordered the sump without knowing what size the supports would be. From mock up pics I took a stab at the divider sizes of 8" center and 4" supports. From there went down this design rabbit hole. Thinking of doing this based off the Eshoops Cube sump, and their Cliff Hanger sock holder.

Adding DYI intake box with flow underneath from a sock/filter basket area. Flow thru media area under tank. Around offset center to a refugium area which I'm going to make an adjustable weir on last panel to return pump/skimmer area. Probably repurpose one of the 4" supports for this. Open area is for pump that can go under tank, skimmer, and the filter area all for easy access. Still working on heater option and where...

Thoughts??
1674667348993.png
1674667372883.png
looks good!

One issue I see is the if the skimmer and return pump share a chamber, the water height for the skimmer will change with evaporation, so constant adjustment will be necessary to keep it working properly.

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The

Thoughts??
1674667348993.png
1674667372883.png
This is brilliant, other than return/skimmer in same chamber. The sock / fulter idea is amazing

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good!

One issue I see is the if the skimmer and return pump share a chamber, the water height for the skimmer will change with evaporation, so constant adjustment will be necessary to keep it working properly.
Thanks for the feedback.
This was a start to see how to make filter area, skimmer and pump accessible. Back to modify design.

For the Frag Tank what 3 bulkhead fittings and recommended return pump are others thinking of using?

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback.
This was a start to see how to make filter area, skimmer and pump accessible. Back to modify design.

For the Frag Tank what 3 bulkhead fittings and recommended return pump are others thinking of using?
I'm planning on running 1/2 slip/slip bulkeads.

Considering this pump:

Either the mini version or the desktop version.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what @Tamberav said about the back chamber being split up for a possible skimmer and a flow-over baffle to control water height.
Also, I think the "forward" green baffle is unnecessary and would severely limit your heater choices by shortening the effective length of that chamber

Another thing I though of is how salt creep might be an issue at the interface between the tank and sump. A small eaurobrace top pies could help eliminate this.

Salt creep is definitely a concern. There was those tiny pepsi canned sized tanks stacked on top of a sump and salt creep was certainly a problem.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thoughts??
1674667348993.png
1674667372883.png

This is a great design. If a person wants a skimmer, they could run a ATO of some sort. A gravity one would keep it steady for sure.

TwinReefMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Grand Cayman Drop Off Desktop. This will be the next drop.
03EF21EA-EB09-46FA-883E-AD23B9B0BD5F.jpeg
Very much looking forward to this drop!

Ended up ordering the 22 gallon peninsula aio frag tank for some frags we have coming, do you know about how long lead times are on the pre-assembled tanks at this point I would have diy'd the low boy but there wasn't an aio option for it so we pivoted.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback.

Does this make more sense?
This is my first sump so what am I missing for flow, chamber water levels, etc?

Added flow thru slots in filter area to fill skimmer area. Closed this area off with a lower divider which also allows for slot for the return hose.
Relocated dividers for a refugium area. Add egg crate to end of refugium to hold Chaeto in place. This also creates an area for a heater. Cut the red slot in riser to run cord thru.
Is an adjustable weir a good idea to regulate the return water level?
1674675681599.png

Fapman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I saw the Fluval Nano 20W marine lights on Walmart and eBay going for $40; I might take a chance with them. People have kept SPS with the lights, according to some threads I've read.

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Added flow thru slots in filter area to fill skimmer area. Closed this area off with a lower divider which also allows for slot for the return hose.
Relocated dividers for a refugium area. Add egg crate to end of refugium to hold Chaeto in place. This also creates an area for a heater. Cut the red slot in riser to run cord thru.
1674675681599.png
I think you are very close to having this work. I like the setup for the skimmer chamber and moving the pump to its own chamber. I would not worry about adjustable weirs on a sump this small. I would make both water level control baffles flowing into the return pump chamber the same height at your desired water level. Leave the double baffle on the skimmer side to help with micro bubbles, you can do a single baffle on the fuge side to save on space and complexity (it should be the same height as the flow over baffle on the skimmer side). I would also get rid of the baffle at the egg crate, this is just taking up space and isn't necessary, Add some zip-tie tabs or some slots to hold the egg crate in place.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1674675681599.png
Second thought is it even worth doing a Refugium in this due to fact the tank sits on top and will be a pain to get to to check and change out growth. Is it worth it?

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second thought is it even worth doing a Refugium in this due to fact the tank sits on top and will be a pain to get to to check and change out growth. Is it worth it?
Maybe not necessarily for macro algae, but more space for some rock rubble or bio media is always good.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are very close to having this work. I like the setup for the skimmer chamber and moving the pump to its own chamber. I would not worry about adjustable weirs on a sump this small. I would make both water level control baffles flowing into the return pump chamber the same height at your desired water level. Leave the double baffle on the skimmer side to help with micro bubbles, you can do a single baffle on the fuge side to save on space and complexity (it should be the same height as the flow over baffle on the skimmer side). I would also get rid of the baffle at the egg crate, this is just taking up space and isn't necessary, Add some zip-tie tabs or some slots to hold the egg crate in place.
I think I'm understanding what your saying Bret.
Adjustable pump area (still shown) is not needed or a weir. Make this one filler piece for pump area same height as the blue skimmer riser. (shown as 5.25 as reference) Suggestion on height?
Removed egg crate... Dropping refugium idea due to access. Now there is more area for media.
Leaving the end divider you suggested removing. This is one of the 4 tank supports in the kit.

1674679104700.png

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solar Red and Polar Blue. We also offered Emerald Green in the past but it was not a popular choice. Orange? Never.
I somehow missed this post before - I love the look of this little tank, I've been wanting one. Red or blue, even orange, I am ready for something other than black. Though I'd prefer not orange lol. Emerald green would be pretty!
Is this a 1 gallon?

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very much looking forward to this drop!

Ended up ordering the 22 gallon peninsula aio frag tank for some frags we have coming, do you know about how long lead times are on the pre-assembled tanks at this point I would have diy'd the low boy but there wasn't an aio option for it so we pivoted.
Your tank should ship next week. Meanwhile, below are some in production pics of a Low Boy bare frag ordered last week. Notice the radius bent fronts and extra thick walls. Flawless seams. And they are not yet even polished.

09BF0A6E-7F22-4F03-8056-F5796596B2CA.jpeg

D3454C70-EE0C-4B30-8B6B-B820608216C7.jpeg

B6A21BF0-97FF-4BFB-A73C-307A088AD0F4.jpeg

E1EDB5F1-B727-4024-A94F-F19C351F2648.jpeg

DB58B176-F410-4F77-AB9E-4C213C7B961F.jpeg

E49AE06D-AC93-42AB-BB14-258391843499.jpeg

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump pedestal update: production of all the sumps has been scheduled for Tuesday morning with orders shipping Tuesday afternoon. If you have not ordered one, please do so by late Monday evening. So far there are only 60 or so ordered so there are plenty left (100 total). This item will no longer be available a la carte once production begins. It will be part of the tank as a complete ready to go package bundle. Again, please order yours if you want one.

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump pedestal update: production of all the sumps has been scheduled for Tuesday morning with orders shipping Tuesday afternoon. If you have not ordered one, please do so by late Monday evening. So far there are only 60 or so ordered so there are plenty left (100 total). This item will no longer be available a la carte once production begins. It will be part of the tank as a complete ready to go package bundle. Again, please order yours if you want one.
What is the final design? The newest one just a few posts back is amazing. I would vote twords it.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the final design? The newest one just a few posts back is amazing. I would vote twords it.
It will be as shown below with a couple minor changes. The "solid" wall is an oversight. It had slots there before but it should be, and will be. solid. This is a simple design for a simple setup.
A808DEE9-1750-478F-999E-E74B5FE928A5.jpeg

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some in production pics of a 240 gallon corner Pentagon, one of my all time favorite tanks. Notice the single piece back wall panel, bent at the 90.
F171E48A-104E-47D6-A4CB-2A8264992BD7.jpeg

Four feet of front panel viewing

6A8612A5-E389-4C79-9885-C4819A88AC66.jpeg

This is the bent corner detail

C5569422-4ADC-407A-BBAE-FC6482F82D5F.jpeg

Flawless seams

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back