OP
OP
M

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! I just read the article on this sub forum seems ground probe + GFCI is the way to go.

Thanks for all the information guys! Just got back from Home depot with a GFCI outlet. Got a sick deal too cause this store had it on clearance for 16$ from 54$.

EDIT: Just plugged everything into the GFCI outlet and nothing tripped it. Also have the ground probe plugged in so voltage in the tank is 0.

I assume this means the voltage in my tank is just induced voltage from the equipment and nothing to be concerned with correct?

Last edited:

GrandpaShark

Keep Calm & Reef On
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! I just read the article on this sub forum seems ground probe + GFCI is the way to go.

Thanks for all the information guys! Just got back from Home depot with a GFCI outlet. Got a sick deal too cause this store had it on clearance for 16$ from 54$.

EDIT: Just plugged everything into the GFCI outlet and nothing tripped it. Also have the ground probe plugged in so voltage in the tank is 0.

I assume this means the voltage in my tank is just induced voltage from the equipment and nothing to be concerned with correct?
What brand ground probe did you get?

OP
OP
M

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GrandpaShark

Keep Calm & Reef On
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, personally I don't like using GFI outlets. They can be very sensitive and will sometimes trip for no apparent reason. My strategy is to keep a proper ground pin in the aquarium which should protect me from a serious shock. One other thing ... and this is particularly true if you live in a dry climate. If the ground rod for your house is not making a good contact, you might be seeing a "drain to ground" happening as your house ground goes looking for ground. Shouldn't happen unless some part of your house wiring (or appliance wiring) is not providing full return to neutral. I have seen some dismal failures of building grounds.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. So when I have the black probe grounded isn’t that what’s happening? It’s measuring current that’s passing through the tank?

Excellent point. I hadn't thought of that.

BobT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1598096101051.png

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put that meter back in the box and go out to breakfast. There is nothing wrong with your tank and that tiny voltage is only there because you put the test probe in the water so that induced voltage has someplace to go. Anything near an AC electrical source will have induced voltage.

If you walk under power lines, you will induce voltage into your head, and if you have a huge, pink Mohawk, you were much to close to those wires.

If you read about 100 volts or more, you have a faulty wire in there someplace and you would realize that instantly if you stick your finger in there so get someone you don't like to test that.

Using a GFI and ground probe is good electrical practice to protect you. The fish won't have a problem with induced electricity as all the electricity produced on Earth returns to the powerhouse through the Earth and sea.
Maybe thats how electric eels re charge their batteries but I am guessing.
(Master Electrician 50 years)

fishbulb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I only keep fish in a faraday cage. Just have to figure out how to make it watertight now??? :)

1598101484690.png

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know nothing about electricity, but I just went through a similar situation with my tank several months ago. My problem was that for over 2 years I couldn't keep any inverts alive for more than a week. I also had major GHA issues because I could never have a cleanup crew. Someone here on R2R mentioned to check my voltage in the tank. I believe I was at 35 or 40 volts. It never affected the fish, but I would kill all my inverts sometimes instantly. For over 2 years I delt with this problem and had no idea it was happening. I always thought it was me doing something wrong. I turned everything off in the tank and turned on equipment piece by piece. I came to the conclusion that I had a bad heater so I replaced it. Then someone told me to add a ground probe and a GFCI to the tank so I did. I went from 35-40 volts to .02 volts. I replenished my CUC and have not lost a single invert in several months now. My tank is finally thriving. I hope this story helps you and other reefers. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 29 26.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back