Testing Reef Lights: What would you like to see?

panoum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great initiative guys! I wish you good luck with this activity and thanks for asking for feedback from the community!
In general, I think the focus of the tests should be on Acropora as they are supposed to be the most light demanding. I have been tuning my Kessil 160 WEs for quite some time and I tend to conclude that any changes in lighting should be done really slowly.
What is the optimum photoperiod duration and pattern? Is the duration of the intensity ramp up important (e.g 1 hr vs 2-3 hrs)? It may be the key here based on Dana Riddle's day light intensity measurements. How important is light acclimation of corals and what is the safest way to do this?
Regarding fixture specific data, I have been struggling to find any analysis on the effectiveness of Kessil 160WE on Acropora keeping and their PAR levels in different water depths. I have seen the results of the tests you have performed on Kessil 360WE and the relatively low PAR levels they produce. Do the 160WEs produce half of the 360WEs PAR levels (as they are rated less than half in power)?

Last edited:

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of us know all 3 sources can grow corals. With all the adjustable options with spectrum, maybe knowing what spectrum to set to would be helpful.

Already posted on fb, but I would like to know about the actual measurement of light, despite the source. Having the new apogee mq500, before it came out it was said to be more accurate then the 200, which IMO for the price difference wasn't too bad compared to the Li-core. . But after it came out the 500 was said to read 32% less under water then in air. Now a few months later they came out with the underwater meter, the 510. What are the real par numbers right off the screen that we are trying to achieve? What are the side by side comparisons from these par meters? And what are the real inaccuracies we are trying to compensate for?

Helfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can LED lightbars replace T5? Their form factor is similar, how about the par, spectrum and coverage? Would be fantastic if you would also test some of them (GHL mitras lightbar, reefbrite ect.)

Savian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see the best lighting for a 50 gallon reef aquarium because I will be setting up a 50 gallon reef tank when the weather gets warmer and there are so many options what im trying to say what is a good lighting for anemones, zoanthids, and bird nests. So far I chose the led lights from Stevesled.com

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're kicking off a new segment in BRStv Investigates and we're out to change EVERYTHING we know about reef tank lighting! With that in mind, we want to know; what you would like to see us test and/or challenge in regards to reef lighting?

I don't currently own a par meter, so I'd be very interested in, at least, a baseline lighting schedule for a pair of Kessil A360 over a 75 gal tank controlled by my Apex. My current schedule was created by following examples I found on youtube and other internet resources; the maximum intensity is only running at 80% intensity mid day.

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would like to see some data showing the practical life span of LEDs. Do they really hold their proclaimed PAR and spectrum as long as they claim? This contributes to the long term ownership costs.

FWIW I'm still running 3 DIY fixtures based on Cree XR-E emitters that I built in 2010 and all are still going strong (60, 88, and 156 LEDs in them respectively) running 8-10 hours every day since then. I've had to replace only a few LEDs in the one enclosed in a canopy, mainly due to corrosion from splashed droplets. They still do a great job growing SPS and Clams. I suspect their output may have declined slightly, but I still have plenty of room to turn up the current, as they are only running around 40-60% of maximum.

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read a lot of anecdotal reports about the effects of whites, red, and greens. Yet, they seem to be in many 'pre-set' configs. I've run an ecoxitic, diy led, radions, kessils, and most recently an LED/T5 hybrid. I find myself not relying on those colors much but I don't really know why. I'd like to see the real results on white lighting effects on algae growths of various kinds. It seems odd that whites, red, and greens come preconfigured and yet, every time I hear or read an algae thread, one of the first things recommended is to turn down the whites.

CenlaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SB Reef Lights claims to have the best spectrum of diodes for growing corals. I would love to see 3 small separate tanks all plumbed together using the same water and biological filtration yet running three different equivalent LED fixtures running at equivalent intensities. A PAR meter might be helpful to validate that. I would like to see which fixture actually has the best growth and coloration. Of course to do this, equivalent-sized frags would be needed. This could be tested both with LPS, SPS, and softie corals in each of the separate tanks.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for cheap LEd v expensive LED

Am I now +9 for this - I lost count... lol

Cheaper LED, like the new Maxspect Ethereal $489 with mounting bracket vs. Ecotech Radion XR30 Pro at $799 without mounting bracket or $898 with mounting bracket - or almost double the price.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see some real testing of cheap chinese lights. Seems a lot of folks are directed towards those and there is much debate. Realistically however, BRS won't ever do this because they don't sell them. T5 and metal halides are considered tried and true therefore would be a waste of time IMO.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I now +9 for this - I lost count... lol

Cheaper LED, like the new Maxspect Ethereal $489 with mounting bracket vs. Ecotech Radion XR30 Pro at $799 without mounting bracket or $898 with mounting bracket - or almost double the price.
Or cheaper still ,like the Chinese black box 100 euros v maxspect ethereal v ecotech radions

Joebiwan3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all know that halide and T5 can grow some fantastic looking corals in particular sps but with the constant changing and upgrading of LEDs is almost impossible to choose the right one unless you mimic someone who is having success with a certain brand and still hope for the best. How about looking at the top LED Brands on the market and giving us your reviews on them and what type of coral u would grow under each.

Crowshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know how to implement a light schedule for a led. For example ramping up and ramping down the intensity and blends of light colors throughout the day. Also how to simulate nightime lighting color and intensity. Thanks for all of your help BRS and Reef2Reef.

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know how turbidity and tds in the tanks affects par and light penetration, I know tds will be fairly high to begin with but maybe it can be used as a gauge to how well a skimmer is working to remove dissolved organics and how used up the carbon is, tds of brand new saltwater(standard) vs tank water. also clean vs dirty splashgaurds. tds and turbidity probes might become standard equipment. You can use turbidity meter to determine if filter socks really make a difference and if that affects light penetration since turbidity is a major light killer

Last edited:

kalare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one huge sump plumbed into several equal-sized nano tanks with the same bioload, flow patterns and varying frags of the same starting size - mixed reef of zoanthids, acans, acropora and montipora. Each tank gets a different light system... I think most of us want to see the difference between Kessil, Radion, Chinese LED, T5, MH and MH/T5.... I would also do a comparison of the same LED fixture (Kessil or Radion) and run one blue and one white. Then do a time lapse video over a few months.....

Excited to see the results of this one!

I was just going to suggest something similar. Lots of other great ideas, but many of them are very specific and only helpful to a small subset of reefers. A test like the one above (with some added acropora, like green slimer and some cheapie millepora), all frags from same parent colony, placed under different lighting sources would be an awesome test. This would be helpful to all reefers. We could see how different corals grow under different lighting, as well as how they color up differently. I bet there isn't a person on this board that wouldn't love to read (or watch) whatever the results of this test would be! I'd do it myself if I had the space and gobs of money :)

Cave Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If water movement is very important to the growth of coral it seems that light movement might also be a contributing factor in the overall health and growth patterns that coral exhibit. I would enjoy seeing a test measuring the growth of coral in 2 identical tanks where one light is fixed and the other tracks across the top of the tank. If I were able to build one to test I think a wide fixed array of defused blue lights with a tight cluster of white that would slowly progress from one side of the tank to the other.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back