Testing Reef Lights: What would you like to see?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If water movement is very important to the growth of coral it seems that light movement might also be a contributing factor in the overall health and growth patterns that coral exhibit. I would enjoy seeing a test measuring the growth of coral in 2 identical tanks where one light is fixed and the other tracks across the top of the tank. If I were able to build one to test I think a wide fixed array of defused blue lights with a tight cluster of white that would slowly progress from one side of the tank to the other.
Now that is a good idea !!! Captain caveman

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If water movement is very important to the growth of coral it seems that light movement might also be a contributing factor in the overall health and growth patterns that coral exhibit. I would enjoy seeing a test measuring the growth of coral in 2 identical tanks where one light is fixed and the other tracks across the top of the tank. If I were able to build one to test I think a wide fixed array of defused blue lights with a tight cluster of white that would slowly progress from one side of the tank to the other.
A LFS here used to have one of their frag tanks setup like this. I don't remember the exact details but the halides slowly moved across the tank all day. It allowed them to use a lot less lighting on the tank.

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We put a PacSun Diuna T5 on a tank a few weeks ago and next week a T5/LED hybrid Pandora Hyperion on our Operations Directors tank. I would expect to share some feedback in the future : )

I think we will get the full UX experience incorporated into the video results. I also hope by the end of this, with help of the community, we will identify what it really is that makes one light source better another and how each reefer can select the right one for their needs and budget. More or less getting legit value for what we are paying for rather than marketing bullets.

We have a test running right now which is testing the nutrient reduction capabilities of Cheato under 4 different light sources ranging from $5 to $400. I think it's obvious the higher par $400 option will outperform the rest because it has the capability of providing more photosynthetic energy. The question is how much better and what do you get in terms of "nutrient reduction" results at each price point and implementation.

As relates to a Halide/LED Hybrid. One of the team members here recently swapped out to a Reef brite Hybrid with a 250k radium bulb and the XHO led supplements and the tank looks spectacular. So much that we took it off and looked at putting three on the BRS160. As compared to our Kessil AP700/ T5 hybrid solution the Reef Brite hybrid had considerably better shimmer, contrast, and depth. It also had arguably better color/Pop. However, the PAR coverage was not as even, lacked real dimming options and likely will have some heat issues with three halides. Ultimately didn't seem worth ripping out our old solution even though it was close.

We installed an Orphek on the clown harem tank just yesterday. So far a lot of us had some pretty positive things to say. I can say with almost complete confidence you are going to see a full review in the future.
Ryan great information. You guys at BRS continue to impress me. Very fresh take on customer service and customer interactions. I hear you on heat issues. It's easily the biggest drawbacks. And coming from an LED system I was like "where is the dimmer on this thing". Ha! I am also disappointed in how ballast costs haven't really come down much. I know it's different technology but HID car headlights have ballasts and the ones producing 50W cost a whopping 30 bucks. They are waterproof too! I think if ballast costs came down, people would use more bulbs over their tanks (at a lower wattage) to get better coverage.

Very good to hear on the chaeto study. Discoveries in this area will push the industry greatly. Natural is always better than man made. You guys should look into building chaeto reactors and ATS. Or at least work with a manufacturer to make them for you. Good luck and keep pushing!

ConnorFood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see if its possible to diffuse the light from a Radion, the way that Philips diffuses their light, to give a more subdued shimmer, with no disco ball banding (Radion is as bad as anyone when it comes to disco, especially with the more white spectrums, you get constant flashes of blue and white and red). I imagine since most of us only run Radions around 30% power, you could more than compensate for the loss of par due to the diffusion material, and if you mounted them high enough you would still get shimmer from the point source.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see if its possible to diffuse the light from a Radion, the way that Philips diffuses their light, to give a more subdued shimmer, with no disco ball banding (Radion is as bad as anyone when it comes to disco, especially with the more white spectrums, you get constant flashes of blue and white and red). I imagine since most of us only run Radions around 30% power, you could more than compensate for the loss of par due to the diffusion material, and if you mounted them high enough you would still get shimmer from the point source.

Do you have the new, G4, or old, G3, version?

Because the new G4 version is supposed to take care of this.

ConnorFood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the new, G4, or old, G3, version?

Because the new G4 version is supposed to take care of this.

I currently am in the process of procuring G3 versions, but have seen the new G4 version and although they do help with a more even spread, they still have terrible disco when in a white mode. Because each LED is under its own lens, they all hit the waves slightly differently, causing banding instead of a consistent even colour through the whole tank and shimmer.

The spread is less a concern of mine, I think the G3 wide angle lenses would do fine, its mostly the removal of the flashes of white/blue/red that I want to fix, which the new lenses have done nothing to remedy. My goal with this build is to use the narrow 80 degree lenses on the old G3, and mount them high enough that they act like a single point source, but with the diffusion material I hope to better blend the colours before they reach the water's surface and get refracted into shimmer lines.

Bob E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For LED’s I would like to know per different brand (ecotech, AI, kessil, ect..) mostly point source or puck designs. how many would be needed per tank (2ft, 3ft, 4ft, etc tanks) the spacing between units that gives the best chance of reducing shadowing. I know many say they have a distance of X but most know the shadowing increase and the par drops at the edges. So what spacing is needed to reduce the shadowing and par can be checked in the overlap area at the same time. I understand how much shadowing can be a little but subjective but a recommended distance can be made base on expertise and testing. Thanks

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is reaching kinda like plasma lighting but do you know anything about ceramic metal halides? That are amazing in the horticulture realm. Amazing technology and efficiency. I wonder if they are working on 14k lights for the reefers! Over two years between bulb replacement too!!!

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if someone has put this down but would be good to investigate whether growth/coloration of corals at a lower par but longer photoperiod matches that of corals lit with high par but for a shorter photoperiod. Ie the same total par over the photoperiod (as far as this is possible) but distributed differently.

What is the optimum par:duration ratio? As a tangent off that - does a ramp up and down (sunrise/set) do anything for growth or is it truly aesthetic only.

sheldonjjessup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be curious to compare puck style leds, to array type leds. For example compare radion and kessil ap700 to lupyled or orphik, I know the array provides better distribution, but is it better than puck styles, pros and cons

Thoms_here

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see comparison tests on LED lights featuring Coralline algae growth, nuisance algae growth and Coral growth.

Also, +1 for Cheap vs. Expensive

How about DIY "kit lights" as well?

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bulk Reef Supply i would love to see and have it broken down so i can understand the PAR/PUR/LUX debate ESPECIALLY when it comes to Kessils. i LOVE my AP700 and feel that they get bashed cause of their "lower" PAR ratings but even Kessil themselves say their light isn't accurately measured by PAR but more PUR or LUX. (sorry if this is a repeat, there is 7 pages of stuff i wasn't about to read lol)

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also love to see a series of specific type light shoot-outs. And as we discussed before a location where the testing data can be researched in the future. Maybe a link on you website for each product so perspective buyers can see real results for the product they are purchasing. Ok, the last request might be playing with fire! Obviously, some companies may not be happy with the results of your tests.

Top 3 T5 fixtures (ATI, Geisemann, Pacific Sun, ect...)
Top >100w LED fixtures (Ecotech, AI, Kessil, GHL, Geisemann, Pacific Sun, Phillips, Orphek, ect...)
Top 50w - 100w LED fixtures (Ecotech, AI, Kessil, Orhek, ect...)
Top < 50w LED fixtures (Kessil, AI, ect...)
Top 5 LED/T5 fixtures (ATI, Geisemann, Pacific Sun)
Top 3 MH fixtures (Coralvue, Geisemann Spectra, Reef Brite)

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read the whole thread and don't know how testable this would be but does a progressive light cycle effect coral health/growth rates. By progressive I mean being controlled by a controller of some sort so the light is ramped up slowly to peak intensity and then ramped back down to mimic the sun moving through the sky.

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see the same reef under different lights and compare before and after.

jumplittlechloe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bulk Reef Supply i would love to see and have it broken down so i can understand the PAR/PUR/LUX debate ESPECIALLY when it comes to Kessils. i LOVE my AP700 and feel that they get bashed cause of their "lower" PAR ratings but even Kessil themselves say their light isn't accurately measured by PAR but more PUR or LUX. (sorry if this is a repeat, there is 7 pages of stuff i wasn't about to read lol)

I watched the 52 Weeks of Reefing and Week 21 had some helpful tips for led lighting PAR/PUR. I was especially interested when the Seneye was used to measure PUR with the Kessil and how as the color setting was reduced the PUR increased. I would to know more about which settings produce the strongest PUR readings for the Kessil 360we as well as other led lighting options.

Back