Testing Tip: Log your testing and use alarms!

How many of you use logs and/or reminders (appointments/alarms) for testing and maintenance?

• I use both! I have a log and use reminders to stay on top of testing/maintenance.

Votes: 107 24.9%
  • I keep a log, but I don't use reminders.

Votes: 197 45.9%
  • I use reminders (appointments/alarms), but i don't keep a log.

Votes: 25 5.8%
  • I don't use either, but I might start.

Votes: 50 11.7%
  • I don't use either. I have a different method for these things...

Votes: 46 10.7%
  • Other (posted in the thread)

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tuesday Tank Tip .png

So realizing that many of us are not testing as often as we should, I thought it might be helpful to share a couple of tips that have been helpful in getting me more consistent in my testing and maintenance routines. The first is to keep a log of your testing/maintenance. This can be really helpful with seeing trends in how things are doing in your tank. I personally prefer a software solution on my phone for ease of access (AquaticLog and Aquarium Note are 2 fairly well known apps for this). However, I've also known some reefers who prefer a hand-written solution like the one below by @Zacco.

log sheet.jpeg

And others may prefer an excel sheet like this one by @BGrand.

excel log.jpeg

Another tip that I've implemented that has helped me a LOT with keeping up with testing/maintenance is the use of appointments/alarms in my phone that act as reminders of scheduled maintenance and testing. Let's face it. Most of us have a lot of things pulling on us, and so it's easy to forget these routine tasks. However, once I started using reminders via appointments/alarms, I got MUCH better about sticking to an actual maintenance routine.

How about you guys? How many of you use logs and/or reminders to test and do maintenance? What other tips have you found helpful for being sure you test regularly?

If you have a helpful tool, please feel free to share it in this thread!

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Triton and Apex help me tremendously stay on top of testing, reminders and maintenance. I used to write everything down, but don't as much anymore. However, I do see the benefit of looking back at historical records\notes.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the first several months I kept up a log on a spreadsheet I made up and printed out. Then I stopped. I think it did help me learn when to test and do maintenance but after a few months, I had that down (as most reefers do after a bit). Since then, I'll update Apex logs on my testing but all my testing and maintenance is either just habit or done when I notice something in the tank that needs to be addressed.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've created paper logs, spreadsheets, used a phone app, and even created a database. I didn't use any of them for more than a few months. I know it's a bad thing, but I'm just a seat of the pants kind of Reefer!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a notebook (yes actual hand written logs)of all my parameters, I've had several through the years, but have them all from the start of this tank.

I keep track of equipment bought, and when, as well as any livestock I add, and where I got them. I do not log my maintenance though.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A yearly calendar book, tracks what I dose, KZ and oyster eggs, etc. when I test and results. What I changed, carbon. Very easy and I can see a month at a time.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot, I also have a paperback book called 365 days of reef keeping. Typical analog spreadsheet type system only I use a pencil. My mom got me my first one when I had just started so I keep buying them.

I've done the apps, Google docs you name it. I find myself never looking back more than 30 days so for me it's not worth the effort after this long. Maybe someday, I can't rule it out.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a Google docs spreadsheet of all maintenance and testing results.

I also use alarms for reminders to change filter socks and a few other maintenance tasks. With a new baby these are small little things to keep me inline. A lot of times I remember before the alarms but its always nice to have a backup.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If tracking and reminding is something you want, I highly recommend Aquarimate app. You can track all parameters. You can create task that not only remind you, but log when you last did them. You can create reports to compare trends. Having said all that I typically ignore the alerts and never log anything…but still it was pretty helpful when I was on top of things.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Excel which is easily customizable. My log "book" is up to 30 "sheet" tabs now and growing. Although the sheet I have open the most is not the testing sheet, it's the contest tracker!:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Excel Example.jpg

(DOH, looks like I have some catching up to do. Drew already won the JBJ Tank.)

speedfreek1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use pocket marine on my phone. I track testing, water changes, and maintenance.
It also has listings of coral, fish and inverts which is helpful when I’m at the lfs. I also track when new livestock is added or there’s losses.

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 3 by 5 index cards 50 card binders one for each tank all testing data, and maintenance events go into the log book. Each index card binder lasts over 6 months to a year and are kept with the tank. I use my Samsung note book calendar for all my longer then one week maintenance planning like filter changes, pump cleaning, changing carbon blocks on whole house filters works for me. I always say I am going to enter the data in excel but never seem to find the time. You would be surprised at the amount of data that can go into the index cards binder. I also use color tabs to find important cards like dosing tables and cards that I commonly refer to a lot.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef logbook I got for cheap on Amazon. I can't be bothered making an excel sheet; my job is annoying enough lol. I do use calendar reminders for water changes and to remind me to dose medication like Maracyn 2

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i use a notepad to keep logs of my water testing. should transition over to excel though... much cleaner.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back