Testing Tip: Log your testing and use alarms!

How many of you use logs and/or reminders (appointments/alarms) for testing and maintenance?

• I use both! I have a log and use reminders to stay on top of testing/maintenance.

Votes: 107 24.9%
  • I keep a log, but I don't use reminders.

Votes: 197 45.9%
  • I use reminders (appointments/alarms), but i don't keep a log.

Votes: 25 5.8%
  • I don't use either, but I might start.

Votes: 50 11.7%
  • I don't use either. I have a different method for these things...

Votes: 46 10.7%
  • Other (posted in the thread)

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters

BGrand

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great ideas. Can you share the files?

Thanks in advance...
Here is a copy of my spreadsheet. This was for my old tank. We sold our house and built a new one. Currently only rocking a 20 gallon fish only tank so not really monitoring like before. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Tank Parameters - OLD TANK.xlsx
    69.5 KB · Views: 61

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use an alarm on my phone as a reminder to turn off the water when making rodi.
spillage isn't a problem, it just goes down the drain. but i've forgotten a time or four
and burned through a full canister of resin.

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I log everything on Ghl connect and I also write it down so just in case something happens I have a hard copy of my logs, I also use my phone to set reminders to dose aminos and no pox or when I am trying to test a certain parameter at the same day every day

Pyrat80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Marine box app it has logs and reminders that can be set, and when I got it you could access data from multiple devices. Which was great, however with a few IOS updates ago that stopped working. Other than that it has been a solid place to log not just parameters but maintenance as well as when you add new inhabitants or equipment. I do not have an apex, but i read that the app can sync with it as well.

Jwink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my apex for reminders and logging tests on one system. My other two systems don't have an Apex on them so I use Aquarium note app to log all of my tests, but basically do all testing and maintenance on the same day so the apex is all I use for reminders.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure where I got this spread sheet. Been using for several years. Ea year I start a new one by making a copy and erasing what I don't need to continue over. I've added to it so I can track trident vs manual testing and also what I dose. I also have a calendar, a media tracker, fish and coral sheet etc. I'd love to find where I got it as I can't get the colors for the tests right (green good, red bad etc) so it is a bit screwed up! If anyone knows how to fix?

I keep this open on my computer which is in my office with my tank
Captureww.PNG

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Aquarium Note (NOT Aquarium Note 2) to log and record everything. It serves me well. In addition to logging activities, expenses, goods, and parameters, I also catalog all livestock, including fish, inverts, corals, hitchhikers, and pests. I find it very user friendly and customizable. And I also use it to set reminders.
Screenshot_20220410-185252_Aquarium Note.jpg
Screenshot_20220410-185655_Aquarium Note.jpg
Screenshot_20220410-185914_Aquarium Note.jpg

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure where I got this spread sheet. Been using for several years. Ea year I start a new one by making a copy and erasing what I don't need to continue over. I've added to it so I can track trident vs manual testing and also what I dose. I also have a calendar, a media tracker, fish and coral sheet etc. I'd love to find where I got it as I can't get the colors for the tests right (green good, red bad etc) so it is a bit screwed up! If anyone knows how to fix?

I keep this open on my computer which is in my office with my tank
Captureww.PNG
It can be done under the "Conditional Formatting" tab. Here's a good video on this,

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done under the "Conditional Formatting" tab. Here's a good video on this,

I will check that out. I managed to get some working but I want 3 colors, not the shades. Thanks!

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a note pad it states when I started all my testing water changes ,activated carbon,gfo,how much alk I put in, how much neophos I dose. What I bought what died. And I use my phone for an alarm to let me know when my 5 gallon jug is full of rodi water.it takes 2 hour and 45 min. For it to fill ,if it take less time to fill I know something is wrong with my ro system.

ou12004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of feel bad I don’t test or keep any log. I prefer to keep it simple and spend that money on coral and water changes
70C293E0-7E1E-4C02-9EE0-011D6A7FD52E.jpeg

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the camp of I track my results but if I miss a day, I'll catch it the next, so no reminders.

Have a dry erase calendar on the door of the fish room that I record my results on in addition to fusion. I take a picture of the board at the end of the month to have more backups in case anything gets mixed up.

Also track maintenance stuff on the notes section like periodic dosing, date changed gfo, date changes RO membrane, etc as well as general observations about equipment and livestock

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a high nutrient softie/macro algae display so maintenance is minimal. I rely on the powers of observation mostly and small weekly water changes. That has worked pretty well for me for many years.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuesday Tank Tip .png

So realizing that many of us are not testing as often as we should, I thought it might be helpful to share a couple of tips that have been helpful in getting me more consistent in my testing and maintenance routines. The first is to keep a log of your testing/maintenance. This can be really helpful with seeing trends in how things are doing in your tank. I personally prefer a software solution on my phone for ease of access (AquaticLog and Aquarium Note are 2 fairly well known apps for this). However, I've also known some reefers who prefer a hand-written solution like the one below by @Zacco.

log sheet.jpeg

And others may prefer an excel sheet like this one by @BGrand.

excel log.jpeg

Another tip that I've implemented that has helped me a LOT with keeping up with testing/maintenance is the use of appointments/alarms in my phone that act as reminders of scheduled maintenance and testing. Let's face it. Most of us have a lot of things pulling on us, and so it's easy to forget these routine tasks. However, once I started using reminders via appointments/alarms, I got MUCH better about sticking to an actual maintenance routine.

How about you guys? How many of you use logs and/or reminders to test and do maintenance? What other tips have you found helpful for being sure you test regularly?

If you have a helpful tool, please feel free to share it in this thread!
I use an Excel Spreadsheet....I posted this quite a while ago (2017 I think) I have made some changes but it it essentially functions the same way

I have sent this to other reefers but it has a large number of macros contained in the sheets and it caused issues when they tried to use it...would be willing to send it to anyone who is interested but just a heads up...

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using ReefTrace . But have switched to the old fashioned year planner and pen to write in each parameter tested and dosed .
anything special such as adding new fish , corals , changing bulbs , filter floss etc are all written in

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe in Integration and Automation (DIY and Off-shelf combo), even for Manual Maintenance needs like testing/ filling/changing/media and tank husbandry.

2020-02-08_TankMateFamily.jpg

LIke like things in my face specifically for my Maintenance Minder. Separate from my Emails, Apps, etc

2020-06-12_TANKmateTimer3.jpg

Using this method was the best thing I ever did was to achieve the attention my 3 Tanks (30G,90G,110G ) need for the ultimate in stability and reliability.

The key functionality of this Maintenance minder is Advanced Early Alerts (to ensure supplies are ready), historical logging to track past cycles, and automatic schedule resets when things slip.

Last edited:

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a photographic memory, i remember the dates i got all of my fish & coral for my tank
It’s impossible to keep track of dosing, maintenance, RODI, and test results over a long period of time. Even for just a year, there are literally thousands of numbers you’d need to remember, even the best mnemonists in the world would have a tough time remembering it all accurately. Remembering when you got a fish or coral is one thing (though I think once you have a lot of fish and more than a few corals that will change), keeping a log of dosing and test results is just responsible reefing.

Personally, I keep a spreadsheet in Pages (apple’s version of excel), I’ve tried a few of the different apps and it’s just not as convenient or fast as a spreadsheet. I’m decent with formulas, so I’ve got running totals and averages and such, it’s still pretty basic, but it makes it easy to keep track of everything and track trends/changes.

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've created paper logs, spreadsheets, used a phone app, and even created a database. I didn't use any of them for more than a few months. I know it's a bad thing, but I'm just a seat of the pants kind of Reefer!
curious about the database lol, also team pants seat

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 89 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back