0   0   0
Here is a FTS with filter
image.jpg

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awsome stuff, i am also building a 220.6, garage water station. Following along, would love to share plans/ideas with you let me know if you have any questions.

OP
OP
J

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well this past weekend i took it to the next step. i took out each rock and poured hydrogen peroxide/water combo and used toothbrush to scrub. hoping this will keep the RHA away. it has been getting much better with before this. corals are ticked but some of the zoas are opening a little.

I placed an order through live-plants for 3 gorgonians. Looking to add some height in the tank. Also submitted a fish order through TSM aquatics. Some are still in their quarantine cycle so they wont ship til beginning of February.

OP
OP
J

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Package from live-plants/ gulf coast ecosystems came in yesterday. I could not be happier. The 3 gorgonians were a good 7-8 inches or more. For $13 each its a no brainer if you were thinking about buying some . The 1 ricordia i bought was a bright green

OP
OP
J

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was today years old when i figured out i could just use my magnetic glass cleaner/scraper on back glass also. all this time iv just done the front and sides and used razor blade when i wanted to do the back glass

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you happy with the two MP40s? Enough flow? In the planning stages for the same tank, and i'm just curious.
Thanks!

OP
OP
J

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all the hammers/torch have not been happy since the peroxide dip. trying to just give it more time i guess. pretty much all my zoas are back to normal except watermelon ones.

The peroxide dip didn't last too long. the RHA grew right back. I bought Flux Rx and used it this past Thursday. I turned off skimmer and looking forward to seeing results. I have heard a lot of positives from it so we will see. I will give it a few weeks and then do a big water change

received another fish shipment from TSM aquatics: clownfish, purple dottyback and 4 ignitus anthias.

OP
OP
J

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have posted on a few threads and on IG but figured id keep this documented....the texas freeze hit me hard with no generator. I had to still go to work since im essential and no way to keep tank warm. I lost all my fish except 1 anthia. The one anthia hasn't eaten though since monday. Coral losses have been blasto, favite, torch, hammer, xenia, kenya tree and ricordias. Most likely will lose my other 2 hammers. I am not sure how to tell if gorgonians are alive still. Lost my sand sifting starfish and most likely 99% of snails/hermit crabs. Pretty much all the zoas are closed but a couple individuals are slightly opening.

Water pressure is low and its still cold outside so in a couple days I will make some more water. I added the Flux Rx couple days prior to the freeze so Im just going to wait to do water change til then I think. Id like to deep clean the sand at some point and clean off the rocks prior to restarting.

Not sure what I want to do about the restart. I have always wanted a predator tank with eels, lion fish, tusk but we will see.

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
i have posted on a few threads and on IG but figured id keep this documented....the texas freeze hit me hard with no generator. I had to still go to work since im essential and no way to keep tank warm. I lost all my fish except 1 anthia. The one anthia hasn't eaten though since monday. Coral losses have been blasto, favite, torch, hammer, xenia, kenya tree and ricordias. Most likely will lose my other 2 hammers. I am not sure how to tell if gorgonians are alive still. Lost my sand sifting starfish and most likely 99% of snails/hermit crabs. Pretty much all the zoas are closed but a couple individuals are slightly opening.

Water pressure is low and its still cold outside so in a couple days I will make some more water. I added the Flux Rx couple days prior to the freeze so Im just going to wait to do water change til then I think. Id like to deep clean the sand at some point and clean off the rocks prior to restarting.

Not sure what I want to do about the restart. I have always wanted a predator tank with eels, lion fish, tusk but we will see.
Firstly I hope you keep up the hobby because you were doing an amazing job. None of this is your fault.

I want to do a predator tank in the future. I miss not having a Puffer, Clown Trigger, Angels, etc.

You can definitely do an eel, tusk (with some work....mine doesnt eat any of the CuC except shrimp), and lion fish with coral. You would be limited with smaller fish after adding the lion though. I love the challenge of having coral so it would be hard for me to totally eliminate keeping them.

I think you would miss having coral a few months in if you went solely predator. You can put some really cool fish in there with coral and you can plan their entry since you will mostly be starting over.

I really look forward to continuing to watch your reef journey, no matter what you decide to keep!

OP
OP
J

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly I hope you keep up the hobby because you were doing an amazing job. None of this is your fault.

I want to do a predator tank in the future. I miss not having a Puffer, Clown Trigger, Angels, etc.

You can definitely do an eel, tusk (with some work....mine doesnt eat any of the CuC except shrimp), and lion fish with coral. You would be limited with smaller fish after adding the lion though. I love the challenge of having coral so it would be hard for me to totally eliminate keeping them.

I think you would miss having coral a few months in if you went solely predator. You can put some really cool fish in there with coral and you can plan their entry since you will mostly be starting over.

I really look forward to continuing to watch your reef journey, no matter what you decide to keep!
Thank you. Im just weighing on predator because if we have someone come by to feed fish then they are trickier to feed. Other fish we just tell them to drop couple frozen cubes in and thats it. These they would have to use tongs or live ghost shrimp. Most likely i will go back to wrasses/tangs like before. I wish clown triggers didnt need an even bigger tank than I have or that may swing my vote again. Such cool looking fish

OP
OP
J

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flux rx really worked. Not sure if it was the 3 days without power or the no more fish so no more feeding or combination of it all but the algae has really disappeared. Maybe I never had red hair algae and it was byropris. Whatever it was its pretty much all gone. The only algae on the rocks right now is "flat" green that a toothbrush can wipe off. I have kept the protein skimmer on and it has still been pulling stuff out of the water. I plan on doing a large water change tonight when I get home...around 60-70 gallons.

I also decided I will be going with the same style of fish as before just maybe some different choices. Placed my first order of fish that should be coming in this next week. I ordered some wrasses and 2 clowns. I also placed a CUC package order from reefcleaners. I only have a few hermit crabs alive.

A lot of zoas have recovered and opened up. Also looks like the 3 gorgonians survived and toadstool leather.

Back