Thanks for letting me join

HeidiR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! So I’m a salt water beginner here. Picked up a 40 gal tank used. Came with a marine set up. I started with live sand and live rock. Let it brew for a week and got some scale babies ( like fur babies, but with scales). I’ve got 2 clowns, a bi-color angel, and a flame hawkfish. Oh and a pair of hermit crabs. I had a fire shrimp but he didn’t survive.
So, I want to add some more fish, suggestions please? Also, I’d love to get into coral... I’ve got a good light, but I read I should wait at least 6 months? Advise please.
E30FB3BA-8F6A-44B9-9E6D-5233D102159A.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reef! I think “scale babies” might be the new jam around here. Lol glad to have you. Biggest suggestion is go slow.....take your time. Don’t add too much at once (I learned the hard way) and understand your parameters before you buy expensive coral. Most soft coral is forgiving and a great place to start.
576A8CE3-D2A7-45D6-8D47-DFFAD9431589.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! We're glad to have you here. I usually wait 2-3 weeks after adding new fish to the tank before adding anything else -- I feel like the delay allows the bacteria in the rock to catch up with the new bioload. Was the flame hawkfish the culprit in the loss of the shrimp? I've heard some people have success in adding a flame to a tank that had an established shrimp, but now that the flame is in there, it might be harder to add any new shrimp. For coral, many will say if you see coraline algae in the tank, it is probably ready to support coral. I'd start with an inexpensive coral to test out whether the bicolor angel will ignore it or pick at it.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the scale baby family!! That sounds like we all have a disease.... maybe fin babies? Yeah, Let's roll with that.
I would say to slow down a bit. If that coralline is a hold over from the previous owner (you said it only brewed for a week) then you may be taxing the bioload. let everything stabilize. Test your parameters. Make sure everything is good and then investigate what you want to do next. If you are looking at corals, try GSP, kenyan tree, xenia or mushrooms... all very hard to kill off.
Yeah Baby GIF by memecandy

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 16.8%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 57 41.6%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.1%
Back